cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks late Victorian, unknown mark

This is the mark on what I think to be a late .Victorian era Madonna and Child--- among other things, the use of  "Trademark Regd USA" --piece is heavy, both glazed and bisque porcelain, exceptional modeling and craftsmanship. This is the only mark on the bottom of the baseIMG_0893.JPGIMG_0901.JPGIMG_0909.JPGIMG_0921.JPG

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Looks late Victorian, unknown mark

From what I could find it was the mark used by Alfred J. Weil Co. Importers, Chicago. 1950's-1980's.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I would believe that the mark would be from Japan, 1930s-60s.  Maybe gotheborg would help?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I was afraid of that...I was wary of buying when I couldn't find the mark, thinking it maybe of Japanese origin ...saw a site that stated the use of word "Trademark" on porcelain suggests Late Victorian due to passage of 1875 Trademark Act in US...odd no country of origin mentioned....oh well...it certainly is of outstanding quality...I was hoping for an old piece, but wasn't too pricey...Thanks for the info
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Wasn't listed under Japanese marks at gotheborg...but thanks for informing me about this site
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

From what I could find it was the mark used by Alfred J. Weil Co. Importers, Chicago. 1950's-1980's.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

That is an interesting thought - AJW being Alfred J. Weil. Could be.

Here is what little I know about it. This AJW mark (in the form of a silver paper label) is rarely found on Lefton China items, usually those few items being from the 1950s. I do not recall ever seeing this type of "ink" AJW mark.

So there are two possible connections here - 1) AJW initials match Alfred J. Weil and 2) both Lefton and Weil were in Chicago.

I think you may be on to something here but I am wondering if you have further evidence, references and/or info about AJW that you might share. Thank you.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The Madona is of excellent quality and similar to one that belonged to my mother.  Hers was Italian.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Outstanding work ! I found that importers mark and it matches, albeit, without the " Trademark Regd USA"

Sould have thought to think of an importers mark as Ebeling & Reuss is found on many German and European porcelain pieces, as a sticker, but also as an impressed mark.

thank you very much....it's mentioned  that they imported items from Europe and Japan from 50 's  thru the 70's-- so the country of origin remains a mystery...no matter ..I have many fine porcelain Madonnas, Madonna and Child from Goebel and Fontanini  and non match the weight and craftsmanship of this piece...

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Indeed the mark is that of the importer Alfred J Weil, active from 50s thru 70s, Pieces from Europe and Japan .

thanks for your assistance

- The base and pillow Jesus sits on are glazed porcelain, as is the body of Mary and the halos of Mary and Jesus and the bird Jesus is holding, which is surprisingly detailed ...Jesus, the hands of Mary, and her upper body are bisque porcelain...the fingertips of Mary precisely but barely touch Jesus.........Lefton  and several  other Japanese companies  produced some very nice Madonnas,  but the weight of this piece makes me think it might be European...no matter, sure am glad I got it.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

It is of outstanding quality-- I have several nice Madonna and Child pieces and this one is exceptional ...I think it may be of European origin due to its weight-- it is very heavy -and craftsmanship

thank you for you response 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

A full pic of the mark on the base---

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

By comparing this to my collection of about 25 such Madonnas and to the thousands of them I have seen on ebay in the past 20 years, there is no doubt in my mind that this was made during the late 1950s to early 1960s in Japan and imported into the US.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Well, pardnuh , I've got about 75 Madonna figurines  from various makers and countries and I'm not all the expert you are and cant say with absolute certainty the origin of anything...

...especially for a form I haven't seen before and

without having the item in hand...

Japanese porcelain is very detailed, but .comparatively lightweight...

but thanks for your input--

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Heres what I have found out about AJW, this item, and it's marks in the past few months. Also including other hopefully on-topic comments.

The purple color is the exact same color seen on a few Lefton religous items. The brush strokes on Madonnas eyes are identical to what is seen on Lefton. Now I have to admit both Lefton (and other importers) and their Japanese manufacturers were not bashful about copying Old World designs. So design clues are not undisputable evidence of either European or Japanese origin. The thing is the design clues do not exclude possible Japanese origin either though. Weight is the same. Much of Japanese origin was lightweight, but some was not light. The best stuff for example. The way the bottom looks also is a design clue, and not commonly seen on Japanese wares, but not unheard of either. I may have missed mention of dimensions (another design clue), but they would be important as always.

During the 1950s there was one and one only Japanese manufacturer capable of producing an item of this detail. They made religous figurines (and other items) exclusively for Lefton and one other importer until the mid 1960s when the "exclusives" changed and ended.

The thing that is of real interest to me is the AJW. I am convinced AJW is AJ Weil who ran an importing company in the US starting in the 1950s sometime. He probably started off in the giftware business as a salesman or representative and worked his way up to be an importer and jobber, as many did. Mr. Lefton had the same career path for example. I first found the AJW silver label on Lefton items in the late 1990s and the label had remained unidentified since then. So I appreciate the mention of AJW here in this thread.

But I am always curious and still curious about AJW and the ink mark shown. It is very instructive, we just have to be able to interpret what exactly it is telling us. The word trademark is especially important as it has a specific legal meaning as well as a specific time we start seeing that word on items imported into the US of Japanese origin made after WW2. That starting time is 1953-54. Se we are basically looking at an item from the mid 1950s or so, in my opinion and experience.

So when did AJ Weil Importing begin? No doubt at a later date than AJ Weil's entry into the giftware business by a few years. We know in the 1950s but when in the 1950s? I want to know. I also want to confirm Weil was in Chicago. Both would be important clues to Weil's history in the giftware business. So you might have guessed I have some references. In this case I have a 1955-56 US Giftware Directory which lists importers, jobbers, representatives, and makers of all kinds of metal, glass, and ceramic giftware from the 1950s. And Weil is no where in it, not even as a rep or jobber. Instant conclusion he must have gotten his importing company started after that date, after 1955. The general geographical location where this item was found would be important to know and would speak to the issue of where to some degree, especially if near Chicago since that's where Lefton started also.

More info is needed about what Weil sold from his Importing Company. Did he sell Japanese ceramics and Czech glass? Or what exactly? It could be anything but probably some type of giftware. Obviously he sold a line of religous figurines as part of the giftware at one time.

There are still more answers to be found. More clues out there. But these are my thoughts. I hope they are helpful to someone.

c*me*4*lefton*info

Message 14 of 14
latest reply