Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying signed glass vase

Can anyone help identify this vase, it is signed but difficult to see fully

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Really beautiful vase (I see a flea bite along the top rim, perhaps?)...

I searched and found a few similiar vases made by Durand (through Skinner Auctions). They were not always signed, per this auction.

I first thought it was a pottery piece but then realized the glass is cased, right?

Anyway, I don't know who made this piece but you could check them out. In your search, use the words "pulled feather"....many samples came up.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

IMHO, this vase is definitely not Durand.  While Durand made many different pulled feather designs, and did cased cut back work, this is not one of their designs.  I wouldn't spend time looking at them or their American contemporaries.

To the best of my knowledge, Durand never finished their vases at the top with a cut / polished rim like yours has.  

If it is vintage, and not a contemporary piece inspired by 1920's / 30's designs, I would look at Czech / Bohemian glass houses.

Again, just my novice opinion.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I did go through Edward Meschi's very comprehensive "Durand The Man and His Glass" just to confirm Durand didn't do this type design.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi yes it is cased , has wear to base, and I know that it has been in the family for at least the last 30yrs think I can make out the letters" s v i a "in signature it's driving me mad!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Are you sure it's not an acid etched siggie reading "Czechoslovakia"?  That mark was used in the 1920's / 1930's and your vase has that look.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply