cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deruta Pottery Vase - Thoughts on cleaning and any significance to design?

Hello - I picked up this Deruta vase this weekend. The design is different from other Deruta I've come across in the past. It appears to have a Queen(or King) with a goblet in one hand and pouring into a basket of flowers. There are also other people that remind me of peasants. I was wondering if there would be any significance to this - a Holiday or Celebration of some sort.

Also, the background has grooves in the pottery. As you can see, it looks quite dirty. I tried a damp soft cloth but that didn't work. Can it be soaked? I don't want to ruin it.

Thanks much for any input!

097.JPG078.JPG082.JPG084.JPG085.JPG086.JPG088.JPG091.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Deruta is not the name of an artist or a pottery. It is the name of a town in the province of Perugia. It is famous for its ceramic arts. Since your vase does not bear the name of the artist or studio we can only guess who made it and when. The medieval scene is beautifully depicted. I have seen a number of pieces with such decoration but only a few studios stand out in my mind for the almost jewel-like design details they produced.  In my opinion this is the work of  Societa Anomina Maioliche Deruta. The firm was actively producing works in this style  during the mid 1950's. I think it is stunning.

I noticed by the writing on the foil label that the vase was originally sold by an art dealer in Greece.

Do not immerse the vase in water or any other liquid. I would wipe it gently with a moist cloth.

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

096.JPG

Hi Walter,  Thank you so much for your input. I meant to ask about that label but you picked up on it. As mentioned, I tried the soft cloth but that seemed to smudge the dirt and make it worse.  Maybe a cotton swap would be better to get into the grooves. I have a better picture of the bottom. I noticed that the 'u' in Deruta looks like a 'V'. And there looks like a Y over a C. Initials?

Cleaning will have to be a rainy day, watch tv project as I think it will take quite sometime.  I don't think I can sell it as is. Is there a market for this type of Deruta Pottery? Most that I see are the bright yellows, etc.

Again, thank you for your input, Walter!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm struggling with the idea that something meant to hold water and that has been fired at a zillion degrees in a kiln can't be washed. Why?
Janet
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

In the original Latin alphabet, created by the Romans in Italy, the letters J, U and W did not exist. They were added to the alphabet at a later stage to write languages other than Latin. The letters K, U, Y and Z were used only for writing words of Greek origin.  The letter "U" was written as a "V". Even today the practice can still be found, particularly in institutions and universities. It is a way to honor the past. Below is one entrances to the Museum of Natural History. Note spelling of Mvseum and Natvral.

There are buyers for this type of Deruta Wares, partiularly in Italy. But that entails shipping and insurance. If you don't mind the hassle it could prove profitable. 

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If the vase contains micro fractures due to age water may seep past the glaze into the clay and even though the clay is rock hard it may absorb some water. In time the expansion and contraction may highlight the defects. Of course I often don't take my own advise and I have cleaned ceramics by submerging them. I have had mixed results. Some good and some not so good. 

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you again, Walter. Any idea of what they are doing in the scene?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It is so very nice to see you frequent the board Walter. Your posts are always so helpful and informative. They are sincerely appreciated by me, and I am sure, also by all those watching. After a long abscence fom the Walter fan club I am asking if I can rejoin it today.

Sincerely,

Stuart Brown

aka c*me*4*lefton*info

Message 8 of 8
latest reply