cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postcards or photos?

dhcinc
Enthusiast
I recently purchased several postcards from the estate of a gentleman who served in the Civil Defense during WW2. Among these were a group of 26 photos that chronologically depict the construction of the Panama Canal. They are 5 1/2" x 4", made of heavy stock and are subtitled at the bottom with a date ranging from 1903 to 1909. The reverse side was completely blank. Any idea what the purpose of these were and it they have any value.
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

postcards or photos?

wi_kathy369
Enthusiast
Hi dhc, Try this link and see if any of your photos are there. http://www.canalmuseum.com/photos/index.htm I'm going to say these are not post cards. Have you been able to determine if these are actual photos or reproductions? Good Luck with your research. kathy
Kathy
Erv's Collectibles
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dhcinc
Enthusiast
Thanks but I already did and none are there. I've e-mailed the Canal Museum but haven't received a reply.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

Do they have the words POST CARD on the reverse? If there isn't a publisher mentioned anywhere on the cards it could be a private individual got them printed onto postcard stock which would make them Real Photo post Cards instead of just photos. Sara
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dhcinc
Enthusiast
Thank you, It's hard to believe someone would go through all that touble and expense to duplicate a photo unless it was done commercially. There is no printing on the reverse but the yellowing and curling of the stock suggest there is some age to them. Dale
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

pixiamom
Enthusiast
I occassionally run into cards without postcard backs. Some were obviously meant to be postcards and the ommission was due to a printing error. Others were probably Arcade cards, sold in vending machines. If they are the same size and weight as postcards, I sell them in the postcard category and note in the description that there are no postcard markings, the back is blank. It hasn't seemed to hurt the value or desireability of the cards.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

jaystargraph
Enthusiast
I've sold a couple of park give-aways that were printed on postcard stock, postcard size, clearly intended to advertise/promote a place. I listed them in the appropriate Post Card category and made it quite clear they were not postcards (mine had info printed on the back and could not have been used for postcards). Nobody questioned or complained, and they sold for what I expected. I also have a couple of RPPCs of women holding their baby, clearly non-commercial cards, one has the usual Post Card back, one has just a dividing line. It seems to me if your cards were meant to be postcards it would have been so easy to mark them, the omission indicates they weren't meant to be postcards. The postcard stock and machines to print/handle them sure make it attractive to use them for non-postcard items! Jim in KC
Jim in High Ridge
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

Hi Jim Today you can get yoour photos processed on to all manner of things and people think it's a new idea - My entire family had their early photos put onto postcards so that they could send them to other members of the family at the cost of postcard post rather than letter post. Sara
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dhcinc
Enthusiast
In my opinion, these are repos, probably made in the '40's when the individual I purchased them from served in Panama during WW2. I haven't been able to find any duplicates anywhere on the net. By the way, this is the most informative and active group on e-bay. Everyone should be proud of themselves and my thanks to everyone.......Dale
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
🙂 you made my day by sayiing that, Dale Diane (I started the group)

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

Big pat on the back to Diane our esteemed leader for having such a brilliant idea so long ago! Sara
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
awwww shucks. DIane

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

Ditto Dale! I have found this group beyond helpful and have had a blast. Thank you Diane! CM
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
double shucks - you're very welcome. I'm trying to figure out how to host a postcard forum on my website. If I could figure it out it would be independent from eBay, which would let us speak a bit more freely - but I haven't figured it out yet. Diane

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

postcards or photos?

dhcinc
Enthusiast
If you manage, please let me know. I'd love to be first in that line.......Dale
Message 15 of 16
latest reply