cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most Collectible Post Cards

scott122620
Guide

Hello Can anyone tell me from experience what is the most collectible post cards? I have been watching several cards now( and buying) and have been collecting the comic ones. I noticed when I watch Halloween Cards they seem to go high, Santa's seem to go high also. Just wanted to know from collector/ sellers what their best cards to sell are. Thank you in advance for any answers

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Most Collectible Post Cards

haloween cards and Purple robed santas have usually been the best average good orices

when looking at the many price guides from over the years they stay near top
BUT that does not always mean the highest
there are always the anomaly
I collect postcards
but unlike most collectors i buy them for the Used in the Postal syste part
The cancellation the city the stamps the cinderellas attached
fir what sells best here just watching Completed Highest in advanced search normally shows trends as they happen to get hot

s
**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you I looked for a price guide to buy but the only one I could find was from the 90's & I figured prices surely have changed since then. Thank you for your answer though. I still like the comic ones the best.

What is a cinderella on a post card?

I have a lot of post cards but don't really know anything about them, I do check prices on them a lot but like I said I usually watch the comic ones because I like them the best.

I have noticed the ones with Black people on them sell high too, I take it that that must be because there weren't as many of them?

Any way just trying to learn about post cards from people who no what they are doing.

Thank you very much for answering me

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hello Scott and greetings,

If you are just getting started with postcards then I'd suggest focusing first on a small area in which to collect. You mention an interest in comic postcards so that seems a good place to start. Comic cards tend to be widely available at a reasonable cost, so any mistakes you make will be small ones and you will soon be able to put together a good collection. As you build that collection you will, as a by-product, also build a much wider knowlege of other postcard collecting themes and you will develop a better feel for prices and so on.

You might also find it worthwhile visiting a postcard collectors fair if any happen in your area or perhaps to see if there is a collectors club in your area.

Getting a price guide is sensible advice. Don't worry too much about it being a bit out of date, look upon it as a general guide as to what's sought after and what's everyday. Most printed guides ceased to be issued frequently as sales moved onto sites such as eBay and everything got more dynamic, the guides were always out of date. In general terms the cards that were priced low in an old guide will not have moved much since then, the higher priced topics will however have moved on.

There are some web sites that provide ebay price data for postcards, they tend to give details of the most watched, highest bids, and highest completed sales, the 'collectorsweekly' site is an example that has good postcard coverage including comic postcards though I'm sure there are others.

In short, my tips for anyone new to postcards are....... Learn by collecting and then by refining that collection. Buy what you like rather than what's 'valuable' while you find your way around. Research what you buy, the illustrator, publisher, subject, era, etc. Avoid damaged cards and protect cards from damage once you have them. Make contact with other collectors and share information.

Hope the above helps

Linda of  About Postcards

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so very much for all the useful information. I am going to go to that web site and see what I can find also. I have not heard about any post card clubs in my area but will sure listen for one, I live in a very rural area, we don't even have a stop light in the whole county because there is not a need for one. If the older price guides will help I sure will buy one. I watch many postcards all the time for prices and how many watchers and bids ect. I also have been reading older post on here trying to learn. I have already touch enough post cards that the last estate sale I went to when I was going through the cards they had I could tell the age of them by the feel of the card I was happy to know I had picked up on that....  Thank you very much

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Just dropping in as I haven't in a long time but postcards are still one of my favorite things to find and to sell.  I especially like RPPC (real photo postcards).  I have some of the comic cards but when I think about listing them, I am disappointed in the prices they are getting for a good while now.

I was happy that Linda of 'About Postcards' mentioned the Collectors Weekly site.  I am always trying to remind people to go there.  You can find the subject of postcards and then you can see the highest ones bid on currently, 

Click on the Culture tab at the top and then click on Postcards .  This front page will show you ~

View by: most watched • high bid • ending soon • completed

I glance at these to see what's popular but then I am more interested in clicking on completed to see what they actually sold for.  You can click on any postcard and it will take you to the eBay listing.

I think collectorsweekly dot com is an invaluable site ~ and always, always you have to research your cards.  It's a fun project.

Talking postcards, I think I need to go and find some in my stash to list!  I have the flu or something right now, so may not have the energy but I will try sometime soon because I like the first quarter of the year for selling.  Many people are stuck in with bad weather so you may have more of an audience.

Railroad RPPCs sell well.  One time I picked one up off the floor of the garage at an estate sale and paid minimally for it ~ maybe 50 cents.  I sold it to a collector for $68 ~ they're the ones that get you going. 😉

~ Joan

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

greetings! the most valuable and collectible post cards are real photo main street and town views. small towns are the best, and most rare. $200 and more are sometimes spent on a very rare example. the most i ever paid for one card was $312.00.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply