cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello postcard collectors and seller's

I just want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas .

I hope all of you made record-breaking sales this year.

Garylk50

Tchristmas 2014 001.JPGhat's it until next

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi! Just joined this group as I have a few post cards listed on eBay. Have noted that since the postal price hike PC sales are way down. I try to protect cards really well from getting damaged in shipping: I protect them between pieces of heavy paper or cardboard and put in a bubble mailer. Now costs $0.50 more to mail 2 oz.- 8 oz. Most of my sales were one or two at a time. Some sellers only charge $1 or so for shipping, where I need to charge around $2.60.

Any advice on how to decrease shipping costs without sacrificing quality??--also you have to upload tracking or eBay dings you. Can't just put PC in an envelope with First Class stamp!

Appreciate any input!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Welcome to the board tolu31209

The need to providing tracking numbers is directed towards top rated sellers. Not doing so or providing less than 90% of tracking jeopardizes the seller from losing their top-rated status.

It looks like this would not apply to you.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I think you're right...I sell enough volume, but not enough $$-wise to maintain top-rated status at this time. Thanks for clarifying 🙂 Maybe I don't need to worry!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

No worries. Enjoy your eBaying...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

New buyers and new sellers they always have a question and the postcard collectors group has the answer to your question.

Welcome to eBay new seller.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Over the past 2 months I've been holding a postcard and ephemera yardsale through ebay using their 30 free listings per month.  Bought 100's of items but never sold a thing.

I was surprised to find how much work is really involved -  to scan the cards, upload them, create the listings and then deal with mailing the items.  It has been fun and interesting and educational.  I realize how much effort it would take to pay the rent doing this here in New York City.  I gained a lot of respect for the ebay sellers.  I see how easily mistakes can occur. 

I tried my best in each listing to show clear 300 dpi scans of both sides of the cards, showing full edges and corners.  In the listings I called out any problems as best I could.  I really didn't want to deal with returns.   I mailed the cards inside a rigid plastic sleeve in a kraft envelope; these are mostly antique cards and need to be protected.   Jiffy packs would be better but they are expensive individually.   Good practice would have a sleeved card inside a rigid holder, inside a jiffy envelope and mailed with delivery confirmation.  But who wants to pay $4 postage for a $5 card, right?   Other thing I was stunned by is the incredible high price of international postage.

I think I end up with a 33% sales rate after a couple weeks listings for each item. I think I sold a number of cards simply because I wasn't setting up a museum - I really wanted to sell the cards and priced them based on what else I saw in ebay - sometimes the high bid was much more than I would have predicted.

I now understand what a poster said about 99 cent auctions being impossible to live on even en masse: paypal alone takes 30 cents right off the top.   I suspect at the end of the day ebay and paypal will get 20% of my sales because of the small dollar items.

cheers

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I should add, for access to the largest collectibles market in the world the 20% is worth it. Of course we'd like it to be less : -)
Message 8 of 8
latest reply