cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Scam

OK, we all know about the "foreign address trying to log on", the "we have changed our password" even the "ask seller a question" are getting routine but today I received - TA DA (drum roll) Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:47:06 -0500 To: xxx.com Subject: eBay Outbid Notice : Muscle Jock Men's Got Milk? Muscle Shirt USED - Item #3984773193 From: outbidnotice@ebay.com Add to Address Book You Have Been Outbid You are no longer the high bidder on the following eBay item: Muscle Jock Men's Got Milk? Muscle Shirt USED - Item #3984773193 Current price: US $11.00 Your maximum bid: $10.51 End date: Jul-03-05 14:22:20 PDT Don't let this get away! View the item you're bidding on: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3984773193&ssPageName=ADME:X:ON:US:2 Helpful Links Bid history - View all bidding activity on this item My eBay - Track your buying and selling activity Discussion boards - Get help from other eBay members eBay Help - Find answers to your questions Learn more: Don't get outbid again! Let eBay bid on your behalf with proxy bidding Trading guidelines If you are contacted about buying a similar item outside of eBay, please do not respond. Off-eBay transactions are against eBay policy; they are not covered by eBay services such as feedback, the buyer protection program, and dispute resolution. eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in an email. Learn how to protect your account. Thank you for using eBay! This eBay notice was sent to otisskm@aol.com based on your eBay account preferences. To unsubscribe from this eBay notice, click here. If you would like to receive this email in text only, click here. As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions. Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. The HTML graphics in this message have been blocked. Not sure if they think I will click on the link because I'm terrified "something is wrong with my account" OR Dang, I'm going to miss out on that shirt LOL Just a reminder even though this one is funny - always be careful and never click on a link. Joyce
Postcards of all ages For all ages!
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Brand New Scam

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
yep Joyce, I've got that one a few times. But thanks for reminding all of us that it's out there & to be careful! Diane

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Brand New Scam

daveypn
Enthusiast
A new one on me today which is dangerous: Subject: Message from eBay Member it appears to come from eBay Member: mika485 who is no longer a registered user It looks just like a genuine question from an ebay member and goes: "What happend with my item. I have paid for it. Let me know asap or i will have to report you to eBay. To view the item, go to" then a link which looks dodgy to me! The spelling is original, not my typing for once! The item number quoted in the link address is nothing to do with either of us. Oh so tempting just to hit the link....... Stay safe! Paul
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Brand New Scam

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
yep Paul that one's been around for a while too! Everyone be careful and don't ever click on any links in an email from eBay unless the email also appears in your "My Messages" on your My EBay page! Diane

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Brand New Scam

Greetings to all – I had a scam email a few weeks ago and sad to say I fell for it – heck, it was late in the day, I was online for hours and I suppose my defenses were down – at any rate, the message said my bid was withdrawn, to find out why, blah blah click here – well, I was sucker punched and clicked on the link and logged in – I quickly realized the error of my ways – nonetheless, I changed my usernames and passwords for a number of sites IMMEDIATELY – I sent the information to eBay security, along with a very irate note – frankly, I feel eBay should be doing more, a LOT MORE, to engage with law enforcement to apprehend and prosecute these frauds – it is eBay’s business, trust, and good will that is slowly but surely being eroded by the fraudulent and deceptive uses of its logo, trademark, etc. – sorry to vent a little here but I am STILL peeved about this – if this could happen to me, and I consider myself an expert on the Internet (I often warn my students about spam, phish, and other such stuff) – it can happen to anyone – I know we may joke about it once in a while but it is a very serious problem that will ultimately effect everyone that wants to trade on eBay.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Brand New Scam

I get really fed up with all the spam and scams that hit my mail box every day. So I ignored the "please update your credit card" email I recently recieved. Oops my card has actualy expired, and it was a real email from ebay - Thankfully I also check the My messages folder and found a copy of it there, so I didn't accidently unregister myself! I emailed ebay to tell them, and got a standard "this is spoof" reply!!! arggggggghhhhhhhh! Sara
Message 6 of 6
latest reply