cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bas-Relief postcards

daveypn
Enthusiast
Just come across one of these cards, published by "ALLIANCE SERIES - 115 Newgate Street, E.C." (London) marked "TABER PAT Nos 21422-95 & 17225-96." Used 14th Feb 1906 part of the message says "This is a new style of card". The folds on the dress and the "black" curtains stand proud (almost 3-d). It is quite thick & heavy card so the P.O. decided it was a letter and charged postage due. Perhaps that's why it didn't take off? Anyone seen earlier or later usages? Any other info? Paul
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Bas-Relief postcards

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
Paul, It's not a type of the common embossed PCs that were so frequently used back then? Diane

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Bas-Relief postcards

daveypn
Enthusiast
Diane it's not embossed - perfectly flat on the back. It looks "sculpted" for want of a better word. When someone gets around to inventing a way of scanning 3-d items and posting them here, I'll show you what I mean! I'll see if I can get hold of the patents. Unfortunately too early for esp@cenet. Paul
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Bas-Relief postcards

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
hmmmm Paul - verrrrry interesting, as Sgt Schultz often said ;) Diane

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Bas-Relief postcards

HI Paul, I had a bas relief card Zena Dare and it sold very well despite her nose being rubbed off! I have found this little bit of info for you: Alliance Ltd 1902. Publishers 115 Newgate Street London EC. A firm formed to produce bas-relief cards, a type invented by Freeman Augustus Taber of San Francisco. (Taber Bas- Relief Photographic Co) The Alliance output included, Real Photos of Actors, actreeses, horses, Jockeys and views of the river Thames. The firm was closley realted with A G Scopes & Co which shared the patent for the procrss registered in 1908. "P Scopes & Co. Ltd c 1908, Publisher, 1 Cotton St, Barbican, London, and after c.1917 at 4 Lauderdale Buildings London EC. Trademark "ALLIANCE". The firm shares a patent with Alliance Ltd., for bas-relief work. During WWI they also used the title "Britannic". The output consisted mainly of portraits, patriotic cards with flags and a military portrait, photographs of animals and greetings cards". also from "Picture postcards and their publishers": A number of bas relief cards carry the name of Scopes & company, but the same type of card appears with several other names, including Tabre, Alliance, Beagles and Rapid Photo Company, and many collectors have been unable to sort out the various patent numbers cited on the cards. The basic patent itself is described fully in the article from the Taber Bas Relief Photo Co, but need to be breifly outlined here to explain the part played by Scopes & company. Freeman Augustus Taber registered his original patents in 1895 and 1896 and these, two years appear after the patent numbers 21422 and 17225 on the back of many bas relief cards. Alliance Ltd took over the patent in this country (UK) and at times allowed other companies to issue bas relief cards under licence. However in 1908 an updated patent was applied for by Alfred Scopes and Alliance Ltd jointly and was registered under the number 4253/08 and this explains the different number shown on scopes cards, despite the fact that it is basically the same process. During the first world war the firm took over H W Lightfoot & Co of 9 Long Lane London who published the Britannic series of postcards. They continued the series name and the same cards can be found nbearing either the name of lightfoot or scopes. These cards were of a patriotic nature with the addition of an inset view of a popular personality and sometimes with the addition of a greeting. Hope that helps! sara
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Bas-Relief postcards

daveypn
Enthusiast
Many thanks Sara - an interesting area to collect. Any collectors already in this group? Paul
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Bas-Relief postcards

I have some bas relief cards of members of royalty. Very thick. Not too much interest on bas relief per se out there; still what's on the bas relief card
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Bas-Relief postcards

Royalty of what nationality? I collect British. Lynn :x
Message 8 of 8
latest reply