cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice or tips on whether to even try selling?

I  recently started to try selling some old family items that I didn't want to just throw away due to the history, and also could use extra income this time of year.  I started with a few antique dolls, and quickly discovered the complexities involved with selling collectibles. I don't even have a clear understanding of basic terminology (antique vs vintage, etc.)  So I decided this time to go with something that would clearly be more definitive for me, old postcards. Most of them are dated from 1910-1920, so that would be easy. It's not. I posted abcouple to start, but to photograph and post each of these would be an overwhelming task, since even just figuring out subcategories is a process for me. I have tried to research, but there is such a wide variety in this collection, that I don't even know where to begin. The collection belonged to a soldier originally from Germany who had recently moved his family to MN, A lot of WWI postcards, holiday, art (mostly signed), photograph postcards, ships, etc. He must have traveled to a lot of countries in the service. So in addition to U.S., there are a lot from other countries as well. Some new, a lot he had sent or received from various parts of the world. Some messages in English, others in German. All I have seen so far are from 1908-1920. I work a lot, so to find the time to quickly become an expert, as well as manage hundreds of listings is too much. Should I sell them all in one big lot, or see if an auction house would buy them? I read they charge up to 50% for this, and I have no idea if it would be worth it. Any advice or wisdom would be helpful. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you are not into selling them individually, which can be a daunting task for someone new to postcards, sell them as a lot. My suggestion is to sell them at auction, ending on a Sunday evening. Use all 12 pictures to show clear pictures of as many postcards as you can. If you have any that are real photos (or those signed art ones) make sure you get good pictures of them.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I have been a postcard seller for almost 10 years and I feel that Spinach-eater gave you the best advice.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I agree the earlier advice was excellent.

An easier way to sell postcards is to scan the front and back. It is much easier than taking a photo. Good luck selling!

Kevin

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Scanning is the only way to go. Not only is it faster but you get a much better result. And don't forget the backs. The card might also appeal to a stamp/philatelic collector. Postmarks, including censor marks from wars can be of interest.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The cancellation, if done on a train car, should also be noted. Train collectors, such as myself, look for those to add to our collections.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you were in Metro NYC area I would encourage you to visit our postcard club! Is there a club in your area? For the period and region you mention you have a lot of factors in play - the postmarked stamps on could have more value than the picture postcards - especially if they veer into Weimar inflation stamps. Get more than one opinion whatever you do. A local stamp club would probably also help you and stamp dealers often know something about postcards.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I have been selling postcards for about 12 years and would like to share some of the things that have worked for me.  If you sell them as a lot you may lose $$ as some cards are more valuable than the money you would receive as a lot.  I have had some sell for over $100 each, and many for over $20.  Yes, it can be daunting, but only list a few at a time.  Scanning (front and back) is the best for getting good photos in your listing.  I did look at your listings and have a suggestion.  The postcards that you are listing are for .99,  but your shipping is for $14.99.  Better yet, list cards for $14.99 and free shipping.  Most people would bulk at such a high shipping fee, and everyone loves "free" anything.  Good Luck.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply