cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion about plus sizes

I just received a large bag of plus size clothing to post - 7 skirts that are XXL (City Chic), 3X (Belle Sky), 26 and 28 (Lane Bryant, Anna Scholz, Mynt 1792, and Simply Be Bespoke.), plus lots of dresses and tops. I managed a shop for a few years, and we had size charts that I made up to display on the wall, and on the racks. I had Large (12-14), XL (16), Plus (1X - 5X). Prior to posting anything, I read through a post here regarding plus sizes, and also looked at Lane Bryant's website and sizecharter.com. One thing I am confused about is size 16 and 1X. Is it just size 16W that is similar to 1X? Sizecharter.com shows Women's size 16W, Misses' Size 18 to be the same as 1X/XL. Then they show Women's 18W, Misses 20 to be the same as 2X/XXL. Lane Bryant doesn't use XX's at all - they just use a number. So please give me more info about plus sizes - especially about 16 and XL. Thanks all. Lori AP Treasures
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Confusion about plus sizes

Hi. I can't answer for anyone else but when I'm looking for clothes, I find the most helpful thing a seller can do is post the dimensions of the garment: bust, waist, hip measurements, and length. That saves my having to pester the seller with questions only to realize that the item won't fit and I won't be buying from her. Hope this helps a little. Alice

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Confusion about plus sizes

First of all, no two size 1Xes are going to be exactly the same size/measurements. Size numbers are, at best, an indicaton, not an absolute. I've seen everything from size 14 to size 20 written up as 1X. The more expensive the item, the lower your "size" will be. A Ralph Lauren 6 might fit an Avenue size 10.  That's one of the reasons women love to buy designer clothing . . . because they can quietly brag on what a small size they wear.

The best thing you can do is show the size on the label AND include complete measurements: Bust, waist, sleeve elngth, length of garment, hips, etc. That saves the prospective buyer having to write you a note and ask.

One thing that does make a difference is if the size is written as, say, 16W. That is a different cut/fit than a regular misses size 16. The W stands for womens sizing. A womens size 12 and a misses size 12 are similar but not the same. Twomen's sizes are cut differently (larger and with more ease).

Message 3 of 3
latest reply