cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ffe charged for ending a lising early?

Within the last 24 hours, I had a high bid sports card listed on Ebay. After this bidder bid the start bid $1300.00

He decided to complain about the shipping  charge. WE tried to explain  insurance priority express mail and return receipt was costly.  He messaged back and tells me if I don't cancel his bid he would not pay for the item. I have been thru this so many times in my time selling. So, I decided I should cancel his bid and move forward.  Later my grandson and I decided to cancel that listing and relist the same sports card, with a break on shipping. So we did,,  Today I received my payout to my bank, it was short. After a little searching around  Ebay charged me $172.00 for ending the auction early??? The card is back on right now live listing  I dare anyone to try and get answers thru there auto help center.. I need help with this one . thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ending an auction early with bids you are charged an eBay fee on the highest bid. Never end an auction with a bid.

I remember ending an auction once early that had a .10 cent bid on it....ebay charged me .01 cent.

Nothing new...this is what happens when action ends early with bids.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

When you end a listing that has bids even if you cancel those bids you are still charged a final value fee on the item based on the highest bid. Ending a Listing
IMG_1160.jpeg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You could have canceled his bid for no fee.  But you would have had to leave the auction running. There is a fee for ending a listing in the last twelve hours if it had a bid.   There had been problems with sellers ending auctions in the final seconds if they did not like the price.  So that is why the twelve hour rule was added.

eBay used to allow you one "free" one per year.  Did you use that up? 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I'm so sorry. I know you weren't aware of the fee or you wouldn't have made that mistake.  There's a lot of rules to know. 

Contact eBay and see if you can get a one-time courtesy refund or credit.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This is why i will never cancel a bid. You never know when you may need to cancel a listing for your own personal reasons.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Couldn't all this have been avoided easily. Certainly this buyer knows that he can cancel his bid for any silly reason he would like to push from choices eBay gives him. Why would you need to do the canceling? And why would you end the auction no matter what? You can revise the auction once he withdrew his bid. You can change anything you would like, shipping fee, opening bid etc. etc. I personally would not have gotten into it with a buyer that was willing to give me that much money, how much did he want to pay for shipping? I would say something nice, like, I know before bidding you could see what you would be charged fo shipping,  but I am a generous guy, how much do you want to pay for shipping? If he says, nothing, I would say OK, I will do it for you. If you are the winner of this auction, I will return your shipping fee. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@collectintime 

I do believe there are restrictions on "revising" a listing that the seller has cancelled the bids on.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply