cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay error message while paying with Mastercard

Please check your payment details or use a different payment option.

The above is the error message I keep receiving from eBay when I try to use my Mastercard. I've tried so many times by now the card is probably blocked. I know there's nothing wrong with the card since I've used it after the error message. Will paying with Paypal change the fact that my card is blocked? Or what do you recommend?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Oh and btw both the seller and I are in the USA

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Problems checking out or paying generally fall into one of the following categories:

Temporary glitch -- try again later.

Browser issue -- try another browser. Try disabling your ad blocker on checkout pages or PayPal's sign in page. If using Firefox, try disabling Enhanced Tracking Protection. Try checking out using the eBay app.

Device issue -- try another device to rule out problems with a particular device or firewall.

Problem with the seller's eBay account; in some cases the seller has not set up the account to accept payment from the buyer or from the buyer's location. Particularly the case when the seller is new to selling or located in another country than the buyer. Must be fixed by the seller.

Problem with the buyer's eBay or PayPal account; similar to problems with the seller's account. In some cases PayPal needs additional documentation or the accounts need to be linked or verified, or the buyer needs to create a PayPal account as there are limits to the number and amount of transactions that can be completed as a guest without registering. Must be fixed by the buyer.

If you are having problems signing in to PayPal, try disabling your ad blocker or other browser add-ons; if you are using Firefox, try disabling Enhanced Tracking Protection using the shield icon to the left of the page address. Sometimes trying another browser altogether can help.

If you are paying with a credit card on eBay that you have not saved on eBay before, try checking the box to remember the card; at least one user has said that made the difference between checking out or not. You can always remove the card from your eBay wallet by going to the payment section of your account settings later.

Problem with a particular payment method or card -- in that case trying a different card, or switching between using PayPal or entering a credit card into eBay's checkout might help. Also worth trying to pay using a bank account tied to a PayPal account or a cash balance in a PayPal account, if possible.

Problems involving minimum payments -- notably when total transaction is less than a dollar. In some cases, adding a donation or combining items may raise the cost above the minimum amount necessary. Likewise, there may be problems if a payment exceeds a credit limit, or a limit imposed by eBay for a new or seldom unused account.

Network issue -- problems that cause an "Access Denied" error message are often caused by a network blockage of one kind or another. As a temporary workaround, try completing checkout using a laptop or phone when not connected to the usual wifi network. Try checking out without using a VPN.

Site issue -- try checking out using ebay.ca or ebay.co.uk. If you have already committed to purchase an item, be sure to go through your Purchase History page to avoid making multiple commitments to purchase the same item on different sites.

If you are buying from multiple sellers, try to purchase from each seller individually in case a problem with one seller is holding up the transaction.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@dan721542 

Hi Dan

The only thing I can think of is that the seller has buying preferences set up in their shop.  They may require that the buyer has at least 4 (or how many they choose) positive feedbacks before you can bid or buy.   Since you have 0,  this might be the problem.  

This is what I would do.  Contact the buyer and tell them very politely that you're very interested in their item and would purchase it immediately.  Some times they'll lift the requirement.  It certainly can't hurt to try.  

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Have you checked to make sure that you put in the correct card #, the correct date and the secret number?  Make sure that you did not flip any of the numbers.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks to everyone; I resolved my issue by creating a new paypal account with a different card, and it worked!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply