cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is a "tax invoice"?

Starting today I'm seeing a blue popup in the EMP Invoices page that says "Now includes tax invoices"... which apparently is something different from normal invoices.

Per Google it appears to be an EU/UK VAT thing, so why am I seeing it on US eBay as a seller based in the US? Am I supposed to be doing overseas tax reporting now???

If that's the case, I'm just going to disable international sales. Between the high shipping rates, 2-month shipping times and increased number of unhappy international buyers due to times in transit, it just not worth it to take on yet another administrative burden. It's too bad, because about 15-20% of my sales are international, but enough is enough.

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

my eBay days are numbered... sneaking it up again from 13.2 to 13.4 .. sneaky...

Message 31 of 80
latest reply

@discofriend wrote:

I thought sales tax did not apply to services...

@discofriend sales tax applies to services in some places.

For example, eBay UK applies VAT to seller fees and Amazon announced in 2019 they would be charging tax on selling fees in some states.

Message 32 of 80
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@ mam

Exactly, as stated on the invoice it is a non taxable amount, which over here means 'not reportable' as it is not income, but is a claim you can make against your business earnings as an operating fee at tax time - does that sound right ?

Well that is true, that is what Ebay does.  However if you review your reports out of PP, that is not what PP does.  PP follows the instructions of IRS and the sales tax IS included in the amount on the 1099K, but Ebay does not do that.

1099K 2020 Instructions for 1A.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 80
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

I will need to look at the information you provided much closer as when I download my tax invoice it looks nothing like what you have presented.  Could be something they changed and I'm on the old version or something.  I honestly don't know.  But thank you for the additional information.

Message 34 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

I will need to look at the information you provided much closer as when I download my tax invoice it looks nothing like what you have presented.  Could be something they changed and I'm on the old version or something.  I honestly don't know.  But thank you for the additional information.

@mam98031  - you may be right about something changing.  Here's how I found the info I was displaying.

Under taxes it now says your tax invoice has been moved to the invoice tab

taxinvoice1.jpg

And clicking through from there goes here

taxinvoice2.jpg

That is the report I was showing.

Message 35 of 80
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

@mam98031  - you may be right about something changing.  Here's how I found the info I was displaying.

taxinvoice1.jpg

taxinvoice2.jpg

Thank you again.  Yes that is where I went, but mine is no where near what your previous post showed.

From what I can tell, your first posting with pics was of the normal monthly invoice with details.  Which is not the same as the Tax Invoice.  There is al little note in your previous post, just above the green part of your pics where you have the list of detailed transaction.  That note reads that you have to go to another place to get your TAX invoice.

Message 36 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

taxinvoice1.jpg

taxinvoice2.jpg

Thank you again.  Yes that is where I went, but mine is no where near what your previous post showed.

From what I can tell, your first posting with pics was of the normal monthly invoice with details.  Which is not the same as the Tax Invoice.  There is al little note in your previous post, just above the green part of your pics where you have the list of detailed transaction.  That note reads that you have to go to another place to get your TAX invoice.

@mam98031 that first pic I posted with the green and red areas highlighted is what comes up if I download the summary for April 2021 Tax Invoice in the Invoices tab.

It even says Tax Invoice in the upper right corner, so if that isn't the tax invoice, I don't what is?

Message 37 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

taxinvoice1.jpg

taxinvoice2.jpg

@mam98031 that first pic I posted with the green and red areas highlighted is what comes up if I download the summary for April 2021 Tax Invoice in the Invoices tab.

It even says Tax Invoice in the upper right corner, so if that isn't the tax invoice, I don't what is?

I do get that.  But the second portion, in the green isn't.  That is from the regular monthly invoice, or it is what it seems to be to me.  And just above it, it gives a link to get to the tax invoice.

Message 38 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

taxinvoice1.jpg

taxinvoice2.jpg

I do get that.  But the second portion, in the green isn't.  That is from the regular monthly invoice, or it is what

it seems to be to me.  And just above it, it gives a link to get to the tax invoice.

@mam98031 just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding- are you talking about down at the bottom of this where it says "see your tax invoice details report"? 

taxinvoice.jpg

If so, that just provides a link from that tax invoice summary to the tax invoice detailed report in csv format.

taxinvoice2.jpg

Message 39 of 80
latest reply

Yes,  it is in blue, so it is a link.

@valueaddedresource 

Message 40 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

Understood - that link just downloads the detailed report.

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding where the confusion is.  Under Invoices I see April 2021 Tax Invoice with two options to download- summary or detailed.

If I click summary, I get the first screenshot as a pdf, if I click detailed I get the second screenshot as a csv.

From the Tax Invoice Summary (first picture) there is a link at the bottom which takes me to the Tax Invoice Detail (second picture).

It's the same info, just a different way to get there.

If that is not what you see under Invoices tab in Payments then it sounds like this could be another "phased rollout" situation.

I've asked Tyler to have the payments team make a pinned post to help clear up any confusion about this report.

Message 41 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

Understood - that link just downloads the detailed report.

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding where the confusion is.  Under Invoices I see April 2021 Tax Invoice with two options to download- summary or detailed.

If I click summary, I get the first screenshot as a pdf, if I click detailed I get the second screenshot as a csv.

From the Tax Invoice Summary (first picture) there is a link at the bottom which takes me to the Tax Invoice Detail (second picture).

It's the same info, just a different way to get there.

If that is not what you see under Invoices tab in Payments then it sounds like this could be another "phased rollout" situation.

I've asked Tyler to have the payments team make a pinned post to help clear up any confusion about this report.

The account invoice and the Tax invoice or two different things.  The account invoice does have all that detail you showed above.  The Tax invoice does NOT.  It only shows the portions of the transaction that are taxes.

I take no issue with your first pic.  That is the way I see mine on the summary page too.

60.JPG

It is the second pic, the one you have in green.  That is NOT the detail tax invoice report.  That is the details from the regular seller invoice, NOT the tax invoice.  The tax invoice details ONLY show the tax entries.

I'm not sure how this got so confusing, but sorry about that.

Message 42 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I'm not sure how this got so confusing, but sorry about that.

@mam98031  - no worries, I think the confusion may just be that we may not all be seeing the same thing.

I noticed under Taxes, where there is a tab that says "Tax Invoice" but then says that has been moved to Invoices - there's also a note at the top of that page that says "Your tax invoices are being moved to the invoices section in Reports tab. This page will not be available starting May 2021."

So my best guess is maybe they are doing a "phased transition" and not everyone is seeing the same report with the same information displayed at this point.

Message 43 of 80
latest reply

I have received the same invoice.  Why are sellers being charged taxes again on sales "Taxes Invoice", when ebay automatically charges taxes to buyer and collects the tax money separate from the seller account?  This sounds illegal, no? 

Message 44 of 80
latest reply

@kuhn_eshop wrote:

I have received the same invoice.  Why are sellers being charged taxes again on sales "Taxes Invoice", when ebay automatically charges taxes to buyer and collects the tax money separate from the seller account?  This sounds illegal, no? 

@kuhn_eshop  - it's important to note that you may not in fact have been charged anything additional beyond the normal fees.  Look at your report summary like pictured above, does it show $0.00 under tax amount? If so, you weren't charged any tax on the fees listed in that invoice.

It might help to think of this more as a report than an "invoice" - the fees listed were already deducted from your Managed Payment balance, as would presumably tax on those fees if there was any.  This is a record of that information, not necessarily saying there is an additional amount owed that still needs to be paid.

As far as it being illegal - if eBay does charge you tax on selling fees, it would be because they are legally required to do so because where ever you live considers digital services taxable.  That is the reason they must apply VAT on eBay UK seller fees for example.

To the best of my knowledge, most US sellers will likely not be charged tax on fees, at least at this time - but you will need to check with your state/local tax authorities to confirm what their position is on whether or not services like eBay provides are taxable.

Message 45 of 80
latest reply