cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown charge to credit card - Ebay O*22-07147-05472 San Jose $234.56

Unable to contact anyone at Ebay to assist with a charge appearing on our credit card statement with reference of Ebay O*22-07147-05472 San Jose $234.56   Australia - unable to find a contact email address or phone number to assist with this possible fraudulent transaction 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@ghvarleyptyltd wrote:

Unable to contact anyone at Ebay to assist with a charge appearing on our credit card statement with reference of Ebay O*22-07147-05472 San Jose $234.56   Australia - unable to find a contact email address or phone number to assist with this possible fraudulent transaction 

If you don't recall making that purchase for something (and for AU$234.56, I know I would), then contact your charge card provider about it. 

One other possibility: did you make a sale for that much in the past, that the buyer may be disputing? (e.g. Item Not Received or Not as Described?)

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You didn't recently purchase a PONTIAC G8 DOOR HANDLE KIT by any chance, did you? That may be your charge, if so. You can double check it in your purchase history for the date it was posted and that might give you more information.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@ghvarleyptyltd

That charge has to be either a purchase (processed by Managed Payments, not PayPal) or a charge for seller fees. It will be best if you figure out which before contacting eBay about it.

If a purchase, it will be shown on your purchase history: www.ebay.com.au/myb/PurchaseHistory

You have only left and received feedback for one seller in the past month, and that was for 3 x $11 = AU$33 plus shipping and tax, so that's probably not it.

I don't want to keep guessing, that's not helpful. But if it isn't in your purchase history (make sure you check hidden purchases in case it's hiding), then check your seller hub for possible refunds that eBay may have made to resolve a case.

If that's not it, then this link will take you to eBay Australia customer help. Choose the topic you need help with, and keep choosing until there are no more questions. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page, and there should be contact options that will work in Australia, as long as it isn't the middle of the night. It says "We're available from 8am to 8pm AET Monday to Friday, and 9am to 7pm AET Saturday and Sunday."

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/home

Here in the USA, we can't call eBay directly, but the call-back option works well. That's your best option. I wouldn't try to use email for something like this.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@ghvarleyptyltd   If your account recently went in to Managed Payments that may be left over monthly fees for last month's eBay Invoice.  They did that to me when they switched my account in to MP, it was the 7th day of the month (last year) ... I gutted my PayPal account just prior to that plus the credit card I had linked to PayPal needed to be updated so it was dead.  Anyway, the older PayPal billing cycle was end of the month with payment due on the 15th (8 days after my account went in to MP) and I learned through this process that the MP billing cycle means payments are due on the 8th of each month. 

So apparently what happened is they could not get the automatic payment in PayPal because there was no money and the PayPal back up funding source was not up to date ... so they had to wait until the 8th day of the following month to charge the new credit card on the MP account ... of course I had expected them to to do that sooner then they did because I had the new card set up for the back up payment method.

So, long story short .... during that transition period between PayPal and MP things, like monthly billing, can get wonky ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Unfortunately this has been one of the largest oversights in the managed payments design- Transparency  is what we need but ebay shrouded MP in secrecy instead. Every transaction on ebay should include the original seller info and the item title like it did with paypal......... or any other company that I buy something from. Then a buyer can look at their bill or credit card statement and say- Oh yeah I did buy that.

Instead ebay only provides an order # that needs to researched to figure out if its a legitimate charge!

This has caused the current  epidemic of chargebacks on ebay!  Secrecy in dealing with people's money WILL NOT WORK-  I understand that in order to control our money, ebay needed to become the seller of record,  but you still need to provide transparency in the process while moving money.

On a site that sell billions of different products from millions of different sellers- EBAY 047384-5736362-00 is NOT an acceptable description for a charge. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@ghvarleyptyltd

That charge has to be either a purchase (processed by Managed Payments, not PayPal) or a charge for seller fees. It will be best if you figure out which before contacting eBay about it.

If a purchase, it will be shown on your purchase history: www.ebay.com.au/myb/PurchaseHistory

You have only left and received feedback for one seller in the past month, and that was for 3 x $11 = AU$33 plus shipping and tax, so that's probably not it.

I don't want to keep guessing, that's not helpful. But if it isn't in your purchase history (make sure you check hidden purchases in case it's hiding), then check your seller hub for possible refunds that eBay may have made to resolve a case.

If that's not it, then this link will take you to eBay Australia customer help. Choose the topic you need help with, and keep choosing until there are no more questions. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page, and there should be contact options that will work in Australia, as long as it isn't the middle of the night. It says "We're available from 8am to 8pm AET Monday to Friday, and 9am to 7pm AET Saturday and Sunday."

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/home

Here in the USA, we can't call eBay directly, but the call-back option works well. That's your best option. I wouldn't try to use email for something like this.

Ebay O*22-07147-05472

That appears to be an eBay order #

Would eBay assign an order # to a charge for selling fees?

Or could that charge only be for an item purchased?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@kare-bearb wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Ebay O*22-07147-05472

I have no idea, to be honest.

I assumed that number was from OP's credit card statement ... it didn't occur to me that it might be possible to trace that back to a specific order # for an eBay purchase, or for fees charged.

That's a good suggestion.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@friskya wrote:

You didn't recently purchase a PONTIAC G8 DOOR HANDLE KIT by any chance, did you?

How did you pinpoint that from the order number? (Seems a lot for a G8 door handle assembly, IMHO...)

Oh, wait, were you following the feedback left for other sellers?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

Unfortunately this has been one of the largest oversights in the managed payments design- Transparency  is what we need but ebay shrouded MP in secrecy instead. Every transaction on ebay should include the original seller info and the item title like it did with paypal......... or any other company that I buy something from. Then a buyer can look at their bill or credit card statement and say- Oh yeah I did buy that.

Instead ebay only provides an order # that needs to researched to figure out if its a legitimate charge!

This has caused the current  epidemic of chargebacks on ebay!  Secrecy in dealing with people's money WILL NOT WORK-  I understand that in order to control our money, ebay needed to become the seller of record,  but you still need to provide transparency in the process while moving money.

On a site that sell billions of different products from millions of different sellers- EBAY 047384-5736362-00 is NOT an acceptable description for a charge. 

@siamjane8   Subterfuge by design ... create confusion ... increase complexity ... overload the system with a lot of meaningless info and stats ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@friskya wrote:

You didn't recently purchase a PONTIAC G8 DOOR HANDLE KIT by any chance, did you?

How did you pinpoint that from the order number? (Seems a lot for a G8 door handle assembly, IMHO...)

Oh, wait, were you following the feedback left for other sellers?

@a_c_green, I can't speak to what @friskya did, but I identified the listing for the OP's last feedback received & left from the seller's feedback page.

I looked at the seller's feedback, and found the feedback that matched the text that OP had left for the seller ... it wasn't a G8 door handle, though. It was something else. But that particular seller had also sold a G8 door handle kit,  at about the same time, for about half the price mentioned in the OP. So I initially thought that maybe the OP had bought 2 G8 door handle kits, but then I realized that the feedback comment for that transaction didn't match. So I knew that wasn't the transaction involved here.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@kare-bearb wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Ebay O*22-07147-05472

I have no idea, to be honest.

I assumed that number was from OP's credit card statement ... it didn't occur to me that it might be possible to trace that back to a specific order # for an eBay purchase, or for fees charged.

That's a good suggestion.

I have had a little more time to investigate this now, and I agree that looks like an eBay order number.

@ghvarleyptyltd you should be able to find the order #s for your purchases in your purchase history. On eBay Australiawww.ebay.com.au/myb/PurchaseHistory  It's on the first line for each purchase. You can use Ctrl-F to search for the # string on the page, if you don't spot it.

FYI, The eBay order number is shown for each purchase on your purchase history page, and it's also shown on the Transaction Details page in PayPal, if you funded the payment with PayPal. However, I always use a credit card to pay for my eBay and PayPal purchases, and the eBay order # is NOT shown on my credit card statement. That just shows "PAYPAL *EBAY US".

I agree, this is too convoluted. Managed Payments transactions should be much more transparent than they are.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

FYI, The eBay order number is shown for each purchase on your purchase history page, and it's also shown on the Transaction Details page in PayPal, if you funded the payment with PayPal. However, I always use a credit card to pay for my eBay and PayPal purchases, and the eBay order # is NOT shown on my credit card statement. That just shows "PAYPAL *EBAY US".

I agree, this is too convoluted. Managed Payments transactions should be much more transparent than they are.

Second that. When you get right down to it, some programmer somewhere had to decide what info to include in the payment log for the transaction, and the order number must have seemed like the obvious choice at the time (along with "eBay," incorrectly rendered as "Ebay"), but you'd think it wouldn't kill them to put in something a little more plain-text perhaps, such as the first 20-30 bytes of the listing title, for example.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Thats a big hit but I had 536 dollars takin out of my bank account. Isn't stealing money from financial institutions from across state lines a federal offense? I got robbed for like 250 the month before and so on. I'm going back to bank where they argued I bought stuff off ebay but did not buy all this expense. Going to Sheriffs Dept. probably tomorrow to see what can be done for these thefts.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Contact your card provider. They will give you more information and help you to solve this issue. thanks

Message 15 of 21
latest reply