cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNABLE TO PURCHASE LABELS ON EBAY USING A CREDIT CARD

First, let me say that I'm one of those sellers that actually was in LOVE with managed payments. Even with all of the initial hiccups, I really did rejoice when ebay rolled it out. But I'm now experiencing a problem that is making things VERY difficult for me to function as seller. Making my order filling so much more time consuming.

At the beginning of the year in January 2021, right at the beginning. I suddenly was unable to purchase bulk shipping labels on ebay (ebay managed payments). It was bizarre because I NEVER change my ebay or paypal settings and have three credit cards attached to my paypal account, with each card near a zero balance with over a 3000 credit line. One card has an extremely high credit limit. I contacted ebay via email (because they've cut off all phone support now) and after the regular confused responses like log in and log out, refresh your browser lol... I started to get -somewhat conflicting but with generally the same- response saying they (ebay) are "aware of the issue and I should use my pending payouts as a work around until it is fixed... it is effecting a large number of ebay accounts..." OK fine, its effecting a number of ebay accounts but really? a 30 billion dollar company cant fix a payment glitch??? And its going on 90 days.

I contacted my credit card companies just to be absolutely sure. And i recieved a written response from citibank and capital one saying my account were processing normally and paypal has been charging my cards regularly, just not with ebay shipping label transactions. An email from PayPal also confirm there was no issue on their end and "ebay shipping has an active authorization to charge my payment methods on file." So PayPal, Capital One, CitiBank and Ebay itself says its an ebay problem... Ugh. I dont want to use pending payments but I DO NEED TO USE THE BULK SHIPPING FUNCTION. I ABSOLUTELY NEEEEED THE BULK SHIPPING FUNCTION.

I understand technical issues happen but could this be a new ebay policy being rolled out? I don't know what is legal because I just don't have the background knowledge to make that determination. But I do recall a historic and famous business model made famous during the Civil War, around a very dark and shameful time in US history.... a business model called called sharecropping. This could be seen as very similar to sharecropping. The landowner owns the land and the factory and all the workers are required to buy supplies from the owner, even if they want to buy flour or meat or clothes from someone else. 

Has anyone run into this problem? Has anyone got the problem fixed? Any ideas on how to get the credit card working again to pay for bulk shipping labels on ebay. If someone has found a solution please share! I send an email to ebay about once a week and -more or less- get the same response for three months straight. "You can use pending payments as a work around. We are aware of the issue. It is effecting a large number of seller... etc."

What if you don't have enough pending payouts to cover shipping labels? One response from ebay said I can write the labels by hand as a work around. BY HANNNNDDDD!!!! That was the BEST response by far from ebay.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What the CS people are telling you to use as a "work around" is actually what eBay wants to force everyone into. Your sharecropper analogy is exactly what they are shooting for. eBay takes as much of the money as they can up front, then gives you the crumbs when they get around to it.

Soon all fees will be taken out before you see a dime. They say that it will be easier and more streamlined for for the seller, whi h is true, but also puts the sellers at the complete mercy of eBay.

@rebell45 

I fear the same... eventually, Payouts won't begin 'Processing' until a label is created. Not gossiping, just sharing. 😶

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Is it only the bulk shipping option that is giving you issues? I ask because I have no problems purchasing shipping labels individually with my Citibank card through PayPal.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Is it only the bulk shipping option that is giving you issues? I ask because I have no problems purchasing shipping labels individually with my Citibank card through PayPal..

Me too, for now.  I'm sure ebay/PP will stop this at some point. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Im also unable to purchase individually using PayPal/credit card. “Pending payments are the only payment option that works for buying labels. Unless I cut and paste the address into stamps.com or write it by hand and March it over to the post office. 

ebays support has been pretty poor... and suspicious. I’m not 100% sure the responses are sincere. I sort of think the call center agents just say anything because they have to say *something.* 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Does anyone know of a way to export BULK shipping labels to another service like stamps.com?. And just cut out eBay shipping label system all together? That would be extremely useful... if the tracking numbers also update automatically.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You might check this out.

https://www.pirateship.com/integrations/spreadsheets