cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payouts getting sent before item is delivered

I been selling on eBay for a few months but I don’t really understand the payment system. I get the payout sent to me like 1-2 days after the customer pays for a item, at this time the package is still in transit and not at the buyer’s hand. Is there a way to make it so I get the payouts sent to me when the item arrives at their house? Or is this just a normal thing with eBay?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Lol

You see a lot of people complain that they don't get their money soon enough I've never seen anybody want to wait to get their money.

Yeah eBay will sends you your money before people actually receive your item once you've established that you're a credible seller.

Why don't you want your money until after it arrives?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I'm set up for weekly payouts, so I don't normally have this happening. 

You might try changing your payout frequency.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You can set your payouts to weekly and the funds will be sent to you on Tuesdays.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Don't want your money right away?

Set the "payout" schedule for monthly 😊

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Well, this is a new one! A new seller that actually wants their payments delayed until AFTER the buyer receives the item. Stick around this forum and you'll see everything eventually....

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

"I been selling on eBay for a few months but I don’t really understand the payment system. I get the payout sent to me like 1-2 days after the customer pays for a item, at this time the package is still in transit and not at the buyer’s hand. Is there a way to make it so I get the payouts sent to me when the item arrives at their house? Or is this just a normal thing with eBay?"

Congratulations!!

You have proven to eBay that you are a reliable seller who ships within his/her specified time frame, and sends exactly what your buyers have bought -- as opposed to, say, sending a box of rocks when the buyer thought he was buying a pair of sneakers.  So, yes, it is a very normal thing for eBay to send your payments on the schedule that you have requested.  

If you really want to make sure you don't get paid until the item arrives at the buyer's house -- or shipping address -- 
I don't think eBay has an option to allow you to do that. 

And there are other considerations.  Suppose you sell something to someone with a shipping address in Delaware and a first name of Vladimir or Valerija.  That buyer may live in a different country, and uses a shipping forwarder.  Do you really want to wait until you know for sure that Yuri in Moscow has received his plaid curtains before you get paid?  

Truthfully, if your buyer doesn't receive his/her purchase, he/she will definitely let you and eBay know.   
Especially at this time of year, when the US Postal Service carries more holiday gift packages and greeting cards.  

Accept that eBay trusts you.   This is a good thing.  

If you're still worried that you get paid before your buyer receives the Thing he bought, and that you might spend the money and not have it available in case of a problem or a return, you could check with your bank about opening a separate savings account.  I assume, of course, that your bank allows you to do certain transactions online.  Then when your eBay payouts come to your checking account, just transfer those payouts into the savings account and don't touch them.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Shhhhhh.  Do NOT give ebay any ideas.  Hopefully, ebay will NEVER ever do what you stated.  It's great that you shipped out quickly.   Nothing wrong with getting your money daily.  If you are afraid of needing funds to cover a return, just keep a certain amount in your bank and don't touch it. For example, never let the account go to less than 200 or 100 and then you will have funds for a refund incase someone opens a claim (and item is less than the amount that I stated.)

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@tunderb_11 

Several years ago, the payment processor was Paypal and we got our funds instantly.  I sort of miss those days.  No need to worry about it, as long as you shipped the item with tracking, the buyer should know it's on the way.  When you make a purchase on what ever platform you have to pay right away anyway.  Most times most people will receive it within a week but they expect it.

Happy Selling. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@lamber9347 

I believe there are a few other e commerce platforms out there that don't pay until the customer receives their orders.  I like our present payment method and hope it sticks around...but you never know.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

How do you become a credible seller?

I'm wanting to be able to receive payments before items delivered!

Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply