cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New demands for Checking Bank account and Home address on file

How are you all feeling about the new demand instead of using PayPal or other type of sell/buy payments now we all MUST disclose our Home address and Checking Bank accounts for processing ANY transaction?

Also, if we do not - we will NOT be able to post new items or manage our eBay accounts if we do not agree to these demands...

A note for eBay management:

My Checking account IS with a POBox address. I have been processing payments with PayPal ONLY BECAUSE eBay demanded PayPal to be the payment processor when I joined eBay!!! The fact we, your not only customers but in fact - YOUR EMPLOYERS - have been made to open special accounts to accommodate YOU, eBay, and now DEMAND we either disclose our personal information or basically abandon our accounts of sellers/buyers with you is unethical, to say the least! Do I have to open a NEW BANC account just to be able to still have my eBay Store function?!? Are you going to pay the fees for it?!

I find it ABSOLUTELY intrusive and most possibly - not legally sound. Will definitely seek legal advice on this! It is going into play starting TOMORROW, the 1st of February 2020.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Well, thanks for that reply. I think it can be a good idea of me to pay attention to Updates/Mails I will likely then get from Ebay and perhaps even PayPal about this specific matter when it comes to my parts, then. And then very carefully read it all and what exactly it means for my part. They are after all obliged and it is their duty to send out emails about all this a few months before it happens.

Then I take a decision. Until then, I do as I always have done regarding paying my fees.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

@babywatermellon wrote:

I find it ABSOLUTELY intrusive and most possibly - not legally sound. Will definitely seek legal advice on this! 

It's rather simple. If you don't like doing business on Ebay, don't do business on Ebay. It's their site, and their terms. There's a ton of things that Ebay does that I heavily disagree with, but requesting an actual address and your SSN to process payments isn't one of them. 

I'll be more than happy to see many bad actor sellers go poof. Sadly, we won't see the same standards apply to international (read: Chinese) sellers. But hey, it's a start I suppose! 

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@whgamer wrote:

Well, thanks for that reply. I think it can be a good idea of me to pay attention to Updates/Mails I will likely then get from Ebay and perhaps even PayPal about this specific matter when it comes to my parts, then. And then very carefully read it all and what exactly it means for my part. They are after all obliged and it is their duty to send out emails about all this a few months before it happens.

Then I take a decision. Until then, I do as I always have done regarding paying my fees.

PP has nothing to do with MP, so you won't be getting any emails from PP on this subject.

As far as Ebay, yes they will send you an email to let you know what date you need to register for MP by or your selling features on Ebay will be significantly restricted and you won't be able to add new listing or revise current ones posted other than to end them.

I'm not sure why you are of the impression that Ebay is "obligated" to give you a few months advanced notice because they are not.  They have been telling us this is going to happen for almost three years now.  So if you had been reading emails from Ebay and the Seller Updates, you might have been more aware of this situation.

When your email comes, it is likely you will only get about a two week notice or there abouts.

@whgamer 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@nkpina2014 wrote:

@babywatermellon wrote:

I find it ABSOLUTELY intrusive and most possibly - not legally sound. Will definitely seek legal advice on this! 

It's rather simple. If you don't like doing business on Ebay, don't do business on Ebay. It's their site, and their terms. There's a ton of things that Ebay does that I heavily disagree with, but requesting an actual address and your SSN to process payments isn't one of them. 

I'll be more than happy to see many bad actor sellers go poof. Sadly, we won't see the same standards apply to international (read: Chinese) sellers. But hey, it's a start I suppose! 

@nkpina2014 

Is that an assumption or do you have a link you can share for this information????

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

EBay simply broke what was working very fine, PayPal had huge advantage, it was perfect fit, made for EBay Payments, now with mangled Payments EBay is worthless waste of time, why even bother. Why are they forcing sellers into this nightmare? Must be the money. They should switch all of us back to PayPal and only keep 5 people here who truly love mangled payments on it forever.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

The part of MP that is keeping me from completing my enrollment is that while I am registered in Canada, I do most of my listing here on dotCOM in USdollars.

With PP I can put that money into an American bank account.

With MP I can only attach a Canadian* bank account. And because of currency exchange, that would be in Canadian dollars.

This brings me to the Chinese sellers.

Is Managed Payments/Ayden set up to accept the renmimbi? Will our Chinese colleagues be allowed to set up US bank accounts?

If they do will eBay extend the same privilege to other non-US sellers, or will I have to continue my extended pouting session?

I've looked at the other "problems" people complain about and there doesn't really seem to be much to them. But I embraced Billpoint, then Paypal and am easy about the basically minor changes with Managed Payments.

Even the very dumb move that makes it impossible to buy on eBay using banked MP funds. Which is very odd.

But the bank account restrictions are not acceptable.

*And to complicate matters, as a family we use PP together and send the payments to different bank accounts because ; reasons.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nkpina2014 wrote:

@babywatermellon wrote:

@nkpina2014 

Is that an assumption or do you have a link you can share for this information????

What are you talking about? Sellers based in China do not have SSNs. Furthermore, many obfuscate their locations with locations in the US. And yes, that "isn't allowed" and you can report them for doing such, but the only way you know for certain is if they have a location set somewhere like Montana, you order a product, and it originates from China with a China post tracking label. Ebay relies on community reporting to stop bad actors, rather than self-policing. So no, the same "standards" are not applied to international sellers.  

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@nkpina2014 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@nkpina2014 wrote:

@babywatermellon wrote:

@nkpina2014 

What are you talking about? Sellers based in China do not have SSNs. Furthermore, many obfuscate their locations with locations in the US. And yes, that "isn't allowed" and you can report them for doing such, but the only way you know for certain is if they have a location set somewhere like Montana, you order a product, and it originates from China with a China post tracking label. Ebay relies on community reporting to stop bad actors, rather than self-policing. So no, the same "standards" are not applied to international sellers.  

I made no claim as to knowing how MP plans to start onboarding sellers from other countries but they do and they have.  They are starting to onboard sellers from China in April.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Regarding legality...How is it not extortion for them demand your bank account details to recover your own money already with eBay? Even if you no longer wish to sell.  Asking for a friend.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

@tiggy4 wrote:

Regarding legality...How is it not extortion for them demand your bank account details to recover your own money already with eBay? Even if you no longer wish to sell.  Asking for a friend.

Simply because it is how they have the MP program set up.  There are other sites that require this too for their payment processing programs, it is not unusual.  Check Etsy, Amazon and others.  They also have to have your bank account info.

What I often recommend to sellers is to set up a separate checking account with your bank to attach to MP instead of using your main personal account.  It makes bookkeeping cleaner, gives you more security and makes things easier.

@tiggy4 

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

I understand what you are saying however I am referring to money in the ebay account prior to them changing the rules then requiring you to give private information upon risk of losing those funds.  Give us your details and you get your money back. Not extortion?

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@tiggy4 wrote:

I understand what you are saying however I am referring to money in the ebay account prior to them changing the rules then requiring you to give private information upon risk of losing those funds.  Give us your details and you get your money back. Not extortion?

@tiggy4 

I'm not sure I understand your issue.  What change of rules?  Would you be specific and then I am likely better equipped to help you.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

The change of rules regarding the requirement of bank details being given to ebay so they can transfer the money to you.  If you have money accumulated with ebay from sales and they suddenly declare that the only way you get it back is to give them your bank details otherwise risk losing the money completely then that seems like extortion.  I'll give your money back when you give me your private financial information.  That is quite different than choosing not to do business with them because they have this new requirement. In this case they already posses your money and are refusing to return it.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@tiggy4 wrote:

Before the time they transferred you to the new system:

payment would go as normal to the location you got paid in prior to...

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

And even though there was plenty of warning that they were changing their policy I don't believe they mentioned that they would be confiscating peoples money if they didn't comply.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply