cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments, when do you ship?

I'm not enrolled in managed payments yet.

I'm looking at a flow chart on this ebay  information page:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Step 1.  Once the buyer has paid, the funds show as pending in the Seller Hub.  It's time to ship the order.  

Once the bank settles transactions to ebay, funds show as available. up to 2 business days.

Step 2. The payout is initiated daily or weekly based on my selection.  1 - 4 days to get into my checking account.

Looks like a payment could take up to 6 days to get to my bank, am I reading that right?

I'm currently using paypal, and if a payment is pending I'm told specifically not to ship until the funds are shown as available.  Most paypal transactions show funds available immediately with the order being placed.  I transfer the funds to my bank, usually the whole process takes 2 days.

Is there a mechanism in Managed Payments that holds funds in limbo until the items is shipped.  I'm not comfortable shipping something with only a pending payment status.  Actually, until I get comfortable with MP, I'm inclined not to ship until the funds are in my checking  account.  I'm thinking about extending my handling time to at least 4 days.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

EBAY is switching over to MANAGED PAYMENTS (everyone has to sign up or you cannot sell on EBAY).

Unfortunately MP is very slow (takes about 5-7 before money goes into bank account.   You are supposed to ship immediately (EBAY will advance you money to cover shipping costs).   

Changing your handling time to 4 days will discourage buyers and may affect for EBAY views you (computer algorithms).

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

"Is there a mechanism in Managed Payments that holds funds in limbo until the items is shipped."

@va-8501 

^^^ Not at this time. ^^^

I have never not  had a payment move all the way through once it says 'Processing'. With that being said, I have a 5-Day Handling Time on my listings. My payments have been consistently moving from sale to deposit in 4 business days since August, 2020.

Just ship within your Handling Time and you're gold. Good luck.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

We are lucky in that we can ship fast while waiting for payment to clear. So, I'm not sure I'm answering the right question.

But sellers should ship within the time frame noted in the listing. Starting when the buyer thinks they paid. If you don't, you'll get complaints from buyers. Not often and not many but they'll come.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I have a 1-day handling time, and when the listing is in Orders > Awaiting shipment , then I ship.  Right now, I have 2 sales that need to be shipped out on Monday.

I have been in MP since October 2018, and I have never had a payment go to Awaiting shipment that had any problems.

You can change your handling time to 4 days, but I bet you will lose sales, as many buyers don't want to wait that long before you ship.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I'm not comfortable shipping something with only a pending payment status.

The word PENDING has a different meaning in MP than it did in PayPal.  I think that is where some of the confusion comes from.  Seller "expectations" as opposed to how the system actually works has caused some concern as well. For example, when eBay touted "daily payouts" they neglected to mention the payout would not be available for days prior to a payout day. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

MP is a money processing program not a program that has any control over how your listing is designed or your seller requirements.  That is all Ebay and Ebay only.  MP does not have any more control over that than PP did.  Both being money processors.

Some sellers choose to ship out right away and some will wait until the money is in their bank account.  Either way is just fine as long as the seller has their handling time in the listing that was purchased from to be accurate.  Otherwise if you state in your listing that you ship in 1 day and then take 4 days to ship, while it has no effect on your MP account, it sure will your selling account.  You will start racking up late shipment defects every time you do that.  Which will eventually compromise the health of your selling account and likely kick you into the penalty fees.

So if you choose to wait and ship after the money is in your bank, simply make sure you change your handling time on your listings to match the timeframe.  That way you have no problems with the Ebay seller stats.

As to the process of MP.  They process payments 7 days a week.  They do not however do money transfers the same.  Those are only done on Business Days.  It takes them 1-2 days to clear a payment and then move that in your MP account from Pending funds to Available funds.  If you are doing Daily payouts, then on the next business day your Available funds should transfer to your bank.  Once the transfer hits the ACH banking system, MP no longer has any control over the transfer, it is in the hands of the banks.  So how long it takes is completely in the control of the banks and NOT MP.  

Depending on the size of your bank will likely have a lot to do with how fast the deposit gets posted to your account.  Smaller more local banks take longer.  Larger main stream banks take less time.

For example.  I do Weekly deposits.  They happen every Tuesday morning.  I bank with a major bank and I get my transfer from MP into my account before noon the next day.

MP doesn't have those lagging payments [pending] like are possible in PP.  In MP the use of Echecks isn't a possibility that I'm aware of.

PP is a unicorn of sorts.  We are certainly spoiled by using them.  I too love PP and would have preferred just to stay with them as they are very flexible.  MP isn't.  At least not yet.  With PP, they can't clear payments any faster than MP does, it is just that PP fronts the money to us therefore making it available to us right away.  MP is not doing that, nor do other money processors on other similar sites.  PP like I said is a unicorn.

So don't compare PP to MP as there is no real comparison and it will only cause you to get frustrated.  MP is a straight money processor without any other benefits like what PP has to offer.  

When you move into MP and if you print your labels on Ebay you will have an option on the label screen to have the money paid through your MP account or you can have it paid via your PP account.  That is the only option that MP has outside of the straight money processing process.

I'm happy to see you are doing your research and asking questions before you go into MP.  That is a very good thing.  I personally have been very surprised at how many sellers have gone into the program without reading a word about the program and are just trying to wing it.  For obvious reasons that is a very bad way to go about this.  You are ahead of the rest by getting the facts so you can prepare and adapt the best you can.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Awaiting shipment is as stated, confirmation of the buyer's payment.

MP  awaiting shipment 2.jpg

It is just like the PP "OK to ship"

15 months in MP with hundreds of items shipped. Never have I had a "confirmed" payment fail to complete processing, and arrive at my CC checking account.

My "business model" does not rely on rapid cash flow. I set my account for "weekly" (tuesday) payouts. In my CU on Wednesday.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I sell fine jewelry.  
I’ll be holding my items before shipment until payment is in my bank account.

May be different if your items cost $2.99 so no big deal if money is actually in your account! 
Loudest shouters constantly posting loving MP sell cheaper no risk things.

My eBay biz will not be the same for me anymore when I’m switched!

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

I sell fine jewelry.  

May be different if your items cost $2.99 so no big deal if money is actually in your account! 

Maybe so, but I also think it is important to keep in mind that no seller, that I'm aware of, has come to the threads saying the payments didn't go through to the bank.  In fact we had at least one long standing member say the opposite on this thread.

While you certainly have the right to make this choice, I'm not sure that would be a real concern since it doesn't appear to be an actual issue.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

You ship the next day. Nobody wants to buy something and then wait until the money clears to your account. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

I sell fine jewelry.  

And I sell vintage collectible toys which are as expensive as fine jewelry.  I have to say I simply do not understand this logic.  Since I was enrolled in MP, I haven't changed a thing.  My listings all have a 2 day handling time but still ship within 24 hours.  Regardless, the money always hits my bank account when it should.

So let me ask a question.  If you work a job that pays every two weeks, do you stop working until you get paid from the previous weeks?

Joe

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

OK, OK, OK, I feel better now, it's unanimous, I don't have to wait until the funds are in my checking account.  Thanks for all your replies.

I currently have  2 day handling, but normally ship within 24 hours except Sundays & holidays.

So I feel better about leaving that as is.

I'm not at all concerned about availability of funds. 

If I can, I will continue to pay for my shipping labels with a cash back CC.

Does anyone feel that their sales volume has increased as a result of moving to Managed Payments?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I haven't seen any change one way or the other. Business, as usual.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I ship when the order is in 'awaiting shipment'.

I never used to transfer paypal funds on a daily basis.  I transferred when I thought there was too much sitting there.  So you could say, I shipped before the money was in my bank.  With managed payments, I am set for weekly deposit.  They take the money out on Tuesday and Wednesday morning it shows as 'pending' in my bank account.  By end of day, my bank has moved it into my available balance.  There really isn't any difference between the paypal and managed payments distribution of funds for ME.   The key word is ME  What works for me might not work for you.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply