cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Issues

Recently, I enrolled in Ebay Mangeed Payments for sellers because the indicastion was that my selling acount would be limited if I did not switch from Paypal to Managed Payments. I have been very disappointed and frankly, I feel defrauded by Ebay, because I still have not received funds in my account from a sale 3 days ago. I miss Paypal, when I transferred the funds to my bank account myself, and the money was available the next day. I would like to hear from other disgruntled sellers and discuss ways around this inferior system.

Message 1 of 273
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Managed Payments Issues

There's a back issue with MP that will continue to hurt eBay, it concerns marketing, best way to explain it: every other e-commerce site I shop with, has next day ship-out, or no more than 2 days handling time. But, due to eBay's MP system, many sellers on eBay have increased their handling time, and why, is because they are waiting for eBay to release the funds to their accounts, thus subjecting the buyers to delays in receiving what they have paid for in good faith. 

Many times I have read different posts here, where sellers have asked questions  concerning MP, and about the shipping of items without receiving funds to those sellers' accounts. And just about all recommendations that have been put forth are, "increase your handling time, that way you are not helt to a particular ship-out time and that will allow you time to receive the funds from eBay,," so with that in mind, it would seem to me to be a marketing nightmare for eBay, once it becomes mainstream knowledge that if you buy things on eBay, it's likely the item will not be shipped-out for 3 to 5 days.

I do realize, not all sellers increase their handling time beyond 2 days and some still do next day ship, but many sellers have increased their handling time due to the MP system, thus, not only causing a nightmare in marketing for eBay but also those sellers who recognize that next day ship is pretty much a standard in e-commerce and, is a marketing tool that works.

The above is just my opinions

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 273
latest reply
272 REPLIES 272

Managed Payments Issues

We all miss PayPal and the big, fat wallet that it was. For what it's worth, my buyer's payment is my bank deposit in 4 business days. I opted into MP during August, 2019. There are no ways around the new payment system, but there are workarounds to certain elements of it. It took me almost a whole quarter to adapt... but you can. Good luck.

Message 2 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

As in any new program you join, especially something as important as a program that controls your money, you should read up on on the program and learn as much as you can BEFORE going into it.

Ebay didn't "defraud" you, you simply didn't do your homework.  It is all in the policy pages.

MP Payout Graphics 1.JPGMP Payout Graphics 2.JPGMP Payout Graphics 3.JPG

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

eBay did not launch the program they sold to us.  It is not cheaper by any way shape or form.  The additional time required to deal with the poor reports, loss of cash flow and the negative returns policy along with now being charged fees on the sales tax collected far exceed the  0.55% saving on processing fees.  Stop telling people they joined this nonsense, like its some type of country club.  This guy was forced like all of us to be in Managed Payments.  Does not matter how much you read up on the program.  When you call in to customer service you will  get the answer of the day for any given issue, right or wrong.  Fully understanding the eBay policies for any of their programs is like reading the IRS code and usually just as confusing.  Poor system is was not a choice.

Message 4 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

@allthingssurplus wrote:

eBay did not launch the program they sold to us.  It is not cheaper by any way shape or form.  The additional time required to deal with the poor reports, loss of cash flow and the negative returns policy along with now being charged fees on the sales tax collected far exceed the  0.55% saving on processing fees.  Stop telling people they joined this nonsense, like its some type of country club.  This guy was forced like all of us to be in Managed Payments.  Does not matter how much you read up on the program.  When you call in to customer service you will  get the answer of the day for any given issue, right or wrong.  Fully understanding the eBay policies for any of their programs is like reading the IRS code and usually just as confusing.  Poor system is was not a choice.

I don't know that Ebay "sold" us on anything in particular about the MP system.  I know for me they didn't.  What they said 3 years ago about the program is quite different now as it changed over the last 3 years, the biggest changes coming last summer.  But Ebay was never very upfront about the details of how MP operated in the previous 3 years.  Details were hard to come by or get access to if you weren't in MP until very recently.

But I get it.  It doesn't work well for some seller.  I respect that.  It is however what they must learn to adapt to if they want to sell on this site.  So best to learn how to best deal with it while continuing to work or tell Ebay the improvements we need to have happen.

As to the reports.  They just recently improved the detailed transaction downloadable report.  I'm not sure if it is rolled out to everyone yet, but I have it and it is better.  

Don't tell me what to do.  You have no right to do that.  These are discussion boards not your personal boards.  I respect that we can disagree on various points.  I take no issue with that.  You just need to understand not everyone is going to see things the same way you do.  

You also like to say things that I've NEVER said in an effort to promote your viewpoint of MP.  I've repeatedly asked you to stop doing that, but somehow you are simply compelled to continue this behavior.  This being a perfect example "Stop telling people they joined this nonsense, like its some type of country club."  

If you want to quote me, fine, if you want to dream things up in an effort to dismiss what I have said or sling mud, it simply is juvenile and unnecessary.

"Does not matter how much you read up on the program. "  Well that simply isn't true.  While you may still not like the process, knowing the process is important.  You constantly get mad at be because I can explain the process as if by being able to explain it means that I like it or support it or maybe I wrote it, IDK.  Silly anyway as all it means is that I've taken the time to learn what the process is with MY money so that I can better work within the program.

And YES I have said so many times on so many threads that the call center for MP is ridiculously understaffed and seriously perpetuating problems some sellers are having.  Causing them to be unable to get a problem fixed for weeks on end.  

The MP policies are not that hard to read for many, I'm sorry you have such difficulty with them.  The graphic I posted above should help you to more easily understand the process for the pending payments to transfer path.

Message 5 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

@cleviebee wrote:

I would like to hear from other disgruntled sellers and discuss ways around this inferior system.

The only way around this system is to find another place to sell.

It would help if sellers would read up on the program so you know how it works.

It take a couple days for the payment to process, before Ebay can send the funds to your checking account.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

@allthingssurplus wrote:

This guy was forced like all of us to be in Managed Payments. 

No one is forced to sign up, the option is yours.

You can sign up and keep selling or not sign up and find another place to sell, it's up to you.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

I'm not disgruntled!

Managed Payments is working fine for me.

Sure it can take 24 hours for a payment from a sales goes from "processing" to "completed", once it does my payout to my bank takes less than 1 day (eg: sale on Sunday, ready for transfer Monday, Transferred to my bank Tuesday Morning, in my account late afternoon the same day).

The reports that are currently available provide all the information I need.

Message 8 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

All sellers are required to have Managed Payments (no way around that).   This is the only payment management system that EBAY uses now.

With MANAGED PAYMENTS money is deposited into your CHECKING ACCOUNT 3-5 days after sale. EBAY deducts shipping costs & EBAY fees (whatever is leftover deposited in your CHECKING ACCOUNT).

Message 9 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

Don't be condescending.  I understand the policies of eBay, having run million of dollars through the system for the past 21 years.  This system was sold as being better, only have to go to one site, cheaper processing fees ( not true) and good reports.  Yes the improved spread sheet is a joke.  It uses 36 columns of data which makes it impossible to print out and use.  Big flaw is there no  totaling of  columns that are important like the fee column.  Now if you know how to really use Excel, which requires training that most don't have, the report can be broken down and program the columns that need totaling.  Just like eBay to put out a confusing user unfriendly report.  We  pay for this MP with our fees it is not unreasonable to provide a reporting system that is easy to use and provides the information to run a business and file tax forms, remember like PayPal did, and remember eBay owned PayPal so should not be a problem pulling that off.  Again another program launched with no real thought to the user. 

By the way the lie eBay gave us was stating the program is cheaper.  You don't make statements like that when it is just false.

Message 10 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

@slippinjimmy wrote:

I'm not disgruntled!

Managed Payments is working fine for me.

Sure it can take 24 hours for a payment from a sales goes from "processing" to "completed", once it does my payout to my bank takes less than 1 day (eg: sale on Sunday, ready for transfer Monday, Transferred to my bank Tuesday Morning, in my account late afternoon the same day).

The reports that are currently available provide all the information I need.

Same here. I opted for payments once a week. Like clockwork. Easy peasy.

Message 11 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

@allthingssurplus wrote:

Don't be condescending.  I understand the policies of eBay, having run million of dollars through the system for the past 21 years.  This system was sold as being better, only have to go to one site, cheaper processing fees ( not true) and good reports.  Yes the improved spread sheet is a joke.  It uses 36 columns of data which makes it impossible to print out and use.  Big flaw is there no  totaling of  columns that are important like the fee column.  Now if you know how to really use Excel, which requires training that most don't have, the report can be broken down and program the columns that need totaling.  Just like eBay to put out a confusing user unfriendly report.  We  pay for this MP with our fees it is not unreasonable to provide a reporting system that is easy to use and provides the information to run a business and file tax forms, remember like PayPal did, and remember eBay owned PayPal so should not be a problem pulling that off.  Again another program launched with no real thought to the user. 

By the way the lie eBay gave us was stating the program is cheaper.  You don't make statements like that when it is just false.

Not a problem at all because I wasn't then and I'm not now.

I did not disagree that back 3 years ago or so that was what Ebay was saying, as they most certainly did.  As time went by, things changed as must we if we want to continue to sell here.  I'm not sure Ebay ever promised "good reports" as Ebay has always fell short on that front since the beginning.  But they are improving recently.

While the new report may be a "joke" to you, for others it isn't.  Could it or should it still improve, absolutely.  Is there stuff on that report that some of us don't need for keeping our books, absolutely.  Are there others that may use it, absolutely.  Speaking for myself only, I'd rather have too much info on a worksheet than too little.  But I'm fortunate as I'm very versed on Excel and can redesign the info on the download into a format that works best for my needs.  I'm aware that there are many sellers that can't do that as they just have never worked with a worksheet program before so it can certainly present an barrier for them.

Totaling columns are easy to add in a worksheet.  The important thing is the information they give us.  

PP reports are pretty darn good that is for sure.  However I still had to manipulate them to get the totals I need for my books.  But I really don't take an issue with that.  Still I respect that for some it is a big issue.

I'm not sure that "Ebay Lied".  Maybe they did or maybe they just didn't realize how much things might change between then and now.  I'm not sure how productive it is to stay fixated on that.  I do however realize this point is very important to you.

I'm more of a here and now person.  I learn the facts about any given subject before me the best I can.  Then I ask questions if needed for further clarification.  Armed with that information I make the best decision I can for my little business.  For me, I decided to stay with Ebay as I'm profitable here before MP and will be profitable after MP.

So I adapted.  I don't apologize for that as it was the right decision for me.  Others may choose differently and they have every right to do that as I have the right to decide to stay.  

Now while working in the system and running my business I also do whatever I can to make sure Ebay hears / reads or I otherwise communicate to them the improvements I see as being needed in the program.  And there are lots of improvements that could happen to MP there is no doubt of that.  It is a program that is far from perfect.  I've never had a job that I like every aspect of it, not even being a Mom [my favorite job].  So to me it is a bump in the road that I'm willing to work with Ebay towards smoothing it out the best I can within the limitations I have in suggesting things to Ebay.

Message 12 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

There's a back issue with MP that will continue to hurt eBay, it concerns marketing, best way to explain it: every other e-commerce site I shop with, has next day ship-out, or no more than 2 days handling time. But, due to eBay's MP system, many sellers on eBay have increased their handling time, and why, is because they are waiting for eBay to release the funds to their accounts, thus subjecting the buyers to delays in receiving what they have paid for in good faith. 

Many times I have read different posts here, where sellers have asked questions  concerning MP, and about the shipping of items without receiving funds to those sellers' accounts. And just about all recommendations that have been put forth are, "increase your handling time, that way you are not helt to a particular ship-out time and that will allow you time to receive the funds from eBay,," so with that in mind, it would seem to me to be a marketing nightmare for eBay, once it becomes mainstream knowledge that if you buy things on eBay, it's likely the item will not be shipped-out for 3 to 5 days.

I do realize, not all sellers increase their handling time beyond 2 days and some still do next day ship, but many sellers have increased their handling time due to the MP system, thus, not only causing a nightmare in marketing for eBay but also those sellers who recognize that next day ship is pretty much a standard in e-commerce and, is a marketing tool that works.

The above is just my opinions

Message 13 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

@mobley120 wrote:

it's likely the item will not be shipped-out for 3 to 5 days.

Sellers that are extending their handling and not shipping until the funds are in their bank account, are only hurting themselves.

Buyers will find another seller that ships faster so they won't have to wait that long for their items.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 273
latest reply

Managed Payments Issues

"Sellers that are extending their handling and not shipping until the funds are in their bank account, are only hurting themselves.

Buyers will find another seller that ships faster so they won't have to wait that long for their items."

I agree with you. And, when I purchase things online, one of the first things I look at, besides feedback comments, is handling time, I like next day ship, but not only am I finding another seller, I'm also finding different sites, it's just the nature of it. 

The community here, shouldn't recommend for a seller to increase their handling time, it's just bad advise, in my opinion.

But, I do understand and  I understand the concerns of the sellers, they want their money, although eBay is acting on the sellers' behalf, but as the saying goes, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, or something like that.

Best regards to you

Message 15 of 273
latest reply