cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payment. Who at ebay thought that this was a good idea?

I sold my first item under the Managed Payment on 8-31 and no funds were sent to my account. I called yesterday and I was informed that the money would be there within two days, which I was not happy about. Then today I get a notice stating I would get my funds with 3-4 business days from 9-2. So. let me see if I understand how this works. Ebay expects me to send the sold item right away and then wait possibly one week or longer for my payment. I just have to ask who on ebay's board directors or what ever they call it thought that this was a good idea? Newsflash to ebay: I would rather pay 15% to have Paypal back and if I cannot opt out of it I will simply find some other way to do business online. After all I know plenty of folks who have left ebay and they all seem to have survived!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

They left, but they did not survive. If they told you they did, they are lying. 

Regarding the new payment program, you can change your handling time to 5 days, 10 days so you have the $ in your bank before you ship. You can also use your 'pending funds' to pay for the shipping, so no 'out of pocket'. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

For shipping you can use the pending funds to purchase the label. On the purchase label page change the payment source from PayPal to pending funds. Then the label can be bought the same day the buyer paid. If you are using daily payouts over the weekend you will need to purchase the label before the funds are sent for that sale.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

"Managed Payment. Who at ebay thought that this was a good idea?"

The company that paid eBay a lot of money, and stock to do this a couple of years ago or so...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Look lets be honest about managed payment, it just sucks. They took a perfectly working system and mucked it all up. Before, you had one transaction of buyer paying seller and transaction done. 

What sellers will find, is that they still need money in paypal. For example, an item I shipped arrived broken. The buyer opened a return. I chose to refund them without shipping a broken useless item back to me at my cost.  I could not refund it on my own. I had to call ebay and get them to process it because of the tax issue. 

Instead of taking the money from my Ebay managed payments account, ebay immeadiately sent a bill to paypal for the balance. I did not have enough to cover that in paypal  since it was in my ebay managed payments. So now paypal and ebay accounts are restricted while it waits for my checking account money to clear into paypal to cover the ebay bill. 

So let me clarify.  transaction one buyer pays ebay   -  immeadiate

transaction two ebay makes payout to my bank    -     several days later

transaction three bank processes and clears ebay payout  -  3-5 days

transaction four   I  transfer money to paypal to cover ebay   -  another 3 - 5 days 

So now it takes me four transactions and two weeks from an item selling to actually having that money in paypal where I need it.  

This is only the beginning of the problems I am experiencing with this new process. I am ready to hang it up.  I need my money in Paypal. I earn money by using my paypal account to pay for my business expenses.  They took an efficient, convenient, trusted payment system and messed it all up. I can not wait for two weeks for money to go into my paypal. The time and inconvenience this is costing me erodes my ebay profit. Without the ability to transfer direct to paypal from ebay creating a timely transaction, this will definitely put me out of business. I wont continue with so much extra work now needing to be done on my end. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

That's called progress for someone, just not us sellers.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@1orioles-fan wrote:

I just have to ask who on ebay's board directors or what ever they call it thought that this was a good idea?

Since their contract is about to expire with Pay Pal, they had to find a way we can be paid and continue to sell.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes if you use pending funds to ship and you're on daily payouts expect to get back on the 'ship asap' treadmill, because now you have to ship while you still have funds 'pending'.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I really don't understand why you are wasting your psychic ability on ebay when you could make a fortune elsewhere.  I also read no further then your presumptuous comment!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

It is not a matter of labels or shipping it is a matter of the waiting a week or more for each payment to be deposited into my bank account. How on God's green earth does that enhance the quality of my ebay experience? 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I have the problem that I sell items for my son on ebay and he lives overseas. I will now have to wait until it is deposited in my account transfer his funds to my Paypal account and then transfer it into his account. To me this whole deal seems like a huge step backwards and for what, to save a third of a percent?  And by the way my first item cost me 14% because it did not qualify for the 12.7%! 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I just called Paypal today and they are still open for business! 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply