cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I refused to accept Managed Payments and left Ebay.

23 Years ago, a friend showed me this new website called Ebay.  I was immediately hooked.  I began buying and selling within weeks. 

Back then, selling was a hassle because getting paid was a hassle.  Then came Paypal.

In my opinion, Paypal was the magic sauce that made Ebay work.  

I sold on and off for the last 23 years.  I retired, and planned on using Ebay as a source of income in my retirement.

Over the recent years, my opinion of Ebay began to decline big time.  

A couple of years ago, they instituted their GOOD TILL CANCELLED for Buy It Now listings.  I sold collectables and that policy KILLED my sales.  I tried to get the policy changed, but Ebay didn't care.  They were MANAGING my sales, and it killed me.

A couple of months ago, I was notified I was being forced into Managed Payments.  I read about the program, and didn't see any benefit for ME.  

I spoke with several dedicated Managed Payments reps, and again, there was no benefit for me as a seller.  I clearly told every rep that the day Ebay forced MP on me was the day I would leave Ebay.

I begged to postpone to a later time.  Covid19 is rampant, and now isn't the time to add insult to injury.  They didn't care.

That day was Sept. 1. 

So, as I sit here, a trusted friend I've had for 23 years is gone.  I removed all my listings, I'm no longer selling on Ebay.

Now, I understand Ebay could care less about me.  That's become obvious over the last several years.

If 10, or 100, or 1000 sellers leave, Ebay won't care.  BUT, if 10,000 or 100,000 leave, at some point, Ebay HAS to care.

I made my statement by leaving, and telling Ebay why I left.  If you feel as I do, make your own statement.  If Ebay is going to force sellers to choose MP, it should be better then Paypal.    

Message 1 of 616
latest reply
615 REPLIES 615

FWIW, the BBC is weighing in as will other media outlets https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57318294 

The words forced and pause ring out.  Face it, folks, the vast majority hates MP, and eBay's lean and welcoming to fraudulent buyers is well documented via the buy your new item, switch it with a damaged or non working item so the sellers gets stuck twice.  And this the buyer is always right thing is getting worse by the day for scammers are manipulating eBays rules.  That does not make for a safe environment.

Message 541 of 616
latest reply

@sunrize33 wrote:

Sheesh Ken, what is with the constant sarcasm 101?  Of course, some still have auctions up but that does not mean they will relist or are not leaving.  The OP of this thread nailed it and despite the post being made in September 2020, it mirrors what everyone is saying on June 3rd.  That means, 1 - nothing has changed and 2- the mass exodus is underway.  And for those who do not do so immediately, they likely will after a couple of months of MP messing up their personal bank accounts.  Set up an additional account you may say?  Well, that is extra money to do so to further crushing people's bottom line in some cases.

The mere sound of "managed," is just bad news for that is something we should be allowed to do individually provided we stay within reasonable parameters. 

@sunrize33 

That isn't really always the case.  First, it isn't a "mass exodus".  Certainly many sellers are leaving and most of those leaving due to MP are Casual Sellers because it is the hardest for these sellers to adjust to the program.

Yes certainly the OP relayed the feelings of a whole lot of sellers out there which has caused many to leave.  And if you take a few minutes and go back to the beginning of this thread, look at some of those other posters that also said they would leave Ebay either did not or they left for awhile and came back.

It is important to realize that most of the sellers saying they are leaving never even tried MP.  Many of them are basing their reasoning on gossip and assumptions, not of the real facts of how the program works.

The statement that another checking account costs extra money is true for some banks and NOT true for others.  There are all kinds of FREE checking accounts available, so if that is your only reason, then do a little research, you will find you have options.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 542 of 616
latest reply

@sunrize33 wrote:

FWIW, the BBC is weighing in as will other media outlets https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57318294 

The words forced and pause ring out.  Face it, folks, the vast majority hates MP, and eBay's lean and welcoming to fraudulent buyers is well documented via the buy your new item, switch it with a damaged or non working item so the sellers gets stuck twice.  And this the buyer is always right thing is getting worse by the day for scammers are manipulating eBays rules.  That does not make for a safe environment.

What has happened here on Ebay is the sellers were spoiled with the flexibility of PayPal.  For sellers that sold or continue to sell on other sites as well as Ebay, these sellers KNOW that MP is much closer to being like the programs offered on ALL other sites similar to Ebay.  In fact some of those sites have rules in their programs that are much harder to deal with than MP is.  

People HATE change and this is a big one.  People HATE ultimatums and this was definitely that.  So it is human nature to fight this change hard and passionately.

The Seller Protections in MP are exactly the same as they are for every seller on Ebay whether they are in MP or not.  So this is simply NOT something that is due to MP, Ebay just has a lousy return policy whether you are in MP or not.

Message 543 of 616
latest reply

Thank you for a grounded response and for making some points in a manner in which some may actually read this.  For me personally, I am taking a wait and see approach, but under the current circumstances and slow-selling of late, I chose to remove my items.  Each person has to make their own decision here and yes, smaller sellers should move on for their profit margins are thin.  I do think eBay and its consumers will miss some small sellers which brought unique items.  If others would address concerns as eloquently as you did we'd see much less back and forth here where people get quite rude.  Unnecessary rudeness is a bit of a pet peeve for me in that I detest bullies.

Message 544 of 616
latest reply

@sunrize33 wrote:

Thank you for a grounded response and for making some points in a manner in which some may actually read this.  For me personally, I am taking a wait and see approach, but under the current circumstances and slow-selling of late, I chose to remove my items.  Each person has to make their own decision here and yes, smaller sellers should move on for their profit margins are thin.  I do think eBay and its consumers will miss some small sellers which brought unique items.  If others would address concerns as eloquently as you did we'd see much less back and forth here where people get quite rude.  Unnecessary rudeness is a bit of a pet peeve for me in that I detest bullies.

Yes sales are a bit slow right now for many sellers.  It isn't however unusual for many of them either as summer isn't typically the best time to sell many types of items.  I know for me the summer is usually slow and August being the worst month of the year for me historically.

You are taking a wait and see approach.  What is it that you are waiting to see?  I ask because I don't know, not because I'm trying to challenge your decision.  

I'm a Small Seller and while my profit margin is thin on some things, it isn't on others.  Overall it works out fine for me.  IMHO it is Casual Sellers [those without a store] that are leaving Ebay mostly due to MP.  But while some will absolutely leave because of MP, more casual sellers continue to sign up for Ebay.  So in all likelihood it isn't going to negatively impact Ebay or the buyer's assortment of stuff to purchase from.

Thank you for the complements.  I appreciate them as way too many posters simply don't appreciate having the actual facts of the program stated to them as they feel very passionately about their venting.  So often posters such as myself become the target of their frustration.

Message 545 of 616
latest reply

Some of us aren't getting paid at all! They have been holding the money for all of my sales because they have decided that they don't like my bank and I cannot use it for managed payments! they said the only way they'll give me my money is if I go to a different bank and open a new checking account! I've had the same checking account for years and all of my savings are there and I have no intentions of ever going to any other bank because I love my bank! I am not going to open a new bank account with all new fees for that bank just to appease eBay! now they're telling me the only way they will give me the money for all the things that I have sold and already shipped is if I close my account then I have to wait 90 days and maybe my money will show up in my PayPal account eventually. There are hundreds of us out here maybe even thousands, that have money being held up by eBay and we're not getting paid all because of this managed payments program they have started! they are finding every way in the book to hold people's money and refusing to give it to them. And they know we can't do anything about it because it's sitting in their bank accounts! Someone said that there's a new lawsuit started, I'm definitely getting in on it!

Message 546 of 616
latest reply

They have a hold on my money too. I received a message telling me to update my bank information so when I did they told me they couldn't verify my bank information! When I finally was able to talk to someone they told me they won't do business with my bank and that I would need to open a checking account with a whole other bank that they like! I told them there was no way I was going to close my bank account that I've had for years and that I love, just so I can sell on eBay with the bank that they choose for me! then they told me the only way they will give me my money from all the items I've sold and already shipped is if I close my account all together and after about 90 days my money will eventually show up in my PayPal! Lawsuits are already popping up because of all this and I am ready to join in on one myself

Message 547 of 616
latest reply

A lot of us are leaving because of these managed payments rules. I've been selling on eBay for a long time too and have had no issues. A few days ago I get a message telling me that they put a hold on my money until I update my bank information. When I did,t tell me they can't verify my account and that I need to get a new checking account with a different bank! I just got off the phone with somebody from eBay and they told me they don't do business with my bank and that I will have to open a checking account with a totally different bank if I want to get paid! I told them all of my money is invested in this bank, including all of my savings for my house and I have no intentions of moving my money over to a new bank or opening up a new checking account with a totally different bank with all new fees just to appease eBay! I will be moving on to a new platform to sell BUT eBay has made money off of items that I have sold and already shipped but they won't give me any of the money for the sales! They said the only way I can get my money is if I close my account and then I have to wait 90 days for my money to eventually show up in my PayPal account, which I wouldn't be holding my breath on ever seeing that money! So now I'm out of all the items I have sold, I'm out of money it cost to ship those items and the only one that made money off of the items I sold is eBay! They are ripping people off left and right and that's why everybody is flocking to other platforms to sell

Message 548 of 616
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@sunrize33 wrote:

Sheesh Ken, what is with the constant sarcasm 101?  Of course, some still have auctions up but that does not mean they will relist or are not leaving.  The OP of this thread nailed it and despite the post being made in September 2020, it mirrors what everyone is saying on June 3rd.  That means, 1 - nothing has changed and 2- the mass exodus is underway.  And for those who do not do so immediately, they likely will after a couple of months of MP messing up their personal bank accounts.  Set up an additional account you may say?  Well, that is extra money to do so to further crushing people's bottom line in some cases.

The mere sound of "managed," is just bad news for that is something we should be allowed to do individually provided we stay within reasonable parameters. 

@sunrize33 

That isn't really always the case.  First, it isn't a "mass exodus".  Certainly many sellers are leaving and most of those leaving due to MP are Casual Sellers because it is the hardest for these sellers to adjust to the program.

Yes certainly the OP relayed the feelings of a whole lot of sellers out there which has caused many to leave.  And if you take a few minutes and go back to the beginning of this thread, look at some of those other posters that also said they would leave Ebay either did not or they left for awhile and came back.

It is important to realize that most of the sellers saying they are leaving never even tried MP.  Many of them are basing their reasoning on gossip and assumptions, not of the real facts of how the program works.

This is not true. Most sellers know the facts of MP, that is why they don't want to sign up. For example, under PayPal, sellers got paid instantly when an item sold. Under MP, it takes 3 - 8 days (sometimes longer) to get paid. These are FACTS, not gossip or assumptions as you say. 

The statement that another checking account costs extra money is true for some banks and NOT true for others.  There are all kinds of FREE checking accounts available, so if that is your only reason, then do a little research, you will find you have options.

While getting another bank account does solve the issue of bookkeeping, it still doesn't address the issue of security, mainly identify theft. The new bank account still contains all the sellers' personal info. This is the main concern most sellers have giving eBay their banking account.

Message 549 of 616
latest reply

@team_akira 

This thread and many others proves that what I said is absolutely true.  Certainly some know the rules, but many do not.  They are guessing and assuming.

Comparing PP to MP has nothing to do with the rules of MP.  That is a bit different and I wasn't speaking to that, but you likely know that.  They are two completely different types of programs and it will only cause you more stress comparing them as MP is a basic money processing program and PP is a full wallet.

The facts of MP about money processing is as I have always stated.  1-2 days to clear payment, then it is moved to Available.  Then on the next BUSINESS day the money will transfer to the seller if they are on Daily Deposits or on the next Tuesday for those on Weekly deposits.  Once MP releases the transfer into the ACH banking system, MP no longer has any control over that money.  It is in full control of the banking system.  It takes 1-4 days for the money to arrive at your bank.

Don't twist things that I say to suit your needs.  I never said that using a separate bank account will "solve" your bookkeeping needs.

Security is a completely separate issue from a bank account.  Anytime you do anything on the internet it is a risk.  If you purchase stuff or you sell stuff.  Every single site on the internet is always at risk to be hacked.  And I've also NEVER said any different.

Message 550 of 616
latest reply

i feel the same but haven't killed my account yet. hoping they will learn before i do.

Message 551 of 616
latest reply

As a buyer for many, many years, I am noticing Ebay is turning into more of a Walmart/big box store type of platform.  The sellers that provided those hard to find items at reasonable prices or specialty items no longer found in the retail outlets are becoming scarce. Now I am seeing the reason why.   I spend a great deal of money on the site but am not looking for another Macy/Walmart or Home Depot. Honestly, I can buy from them directly. It is sad that Ebay is chasing away the sellers that I patronized for years . My time with Ebay is coming to an end. 

Message 552 of 616
latest reply

@cpu_parts_guy wrote:

i feel the same but haven't killed my account yet. hoping they will learn before i do.

@cpu_parts_guy 

Learn what exactly?  If you are expecting them to change their directive, you will be disappointed.  

Message 553 of 616
latest reply

Wonder how many of them are actually legit sellers that actually deal with the new requirements. Most sellers complaining seem to be new to the forum sections. That is they don't spend a lot of time posting. After all Ebay's primary purpose is not to provide a forum but a market. Most sellers wouldn't bother visting the forum to complain unless they are really upset.

The ones that keep posting "how great" the Ebay changes are seem to spend an awful lot of time posting on the forums..... Wonder where they get the time to sell....

Message 554 of 616
latest reply

@john_westlock wrote:

Wonder how many of them are actually legit sellers that actually deal with the new requirements. Most sellers complaining seem to be new to the forum sections. That is they don't spend a lot of time posting. After all Ebay's primary purpose is not to provide a forum but a market. Most sellers wouldn't bother visting the forum to complain unless they are really upset.

The ones that keep posting "how great" the Ebay changes are seem to spend an awful lot of time posting on the forums..... Wonder where they get the time to sell....

@john_westlock 

Some very valid points to be sure.  Forums usually are for those needing or wanting to vent about something or they come to seek help on something.  That is what the forums are for on this site and others.

What has always made me curious is to why some try to throw shade or make it seem that those that come here to help other are somehow doing something bad and/or wrong.  

And I've missed the posts that state "how great" MP is.  I think that is your opinion of what others have said when they are simply able to describe how MP actually works or they state that they have found a way to adapt or survive in MP.  I will never understand why some think those trying to help others are somehow bad.  It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

While the thread may not be something you participate in very often that does not mean it is somehow wrong when other do.  Speaking for myself only, I set aside some of my own personal time to come and try to help out, especially on this subject since there is so much bad information about it on the threads.  I get it that you feel that somehow this is a bad thing.  So we will just have to agree to have a different view point on this subject.

I wish you nothing but the best whatever you decide to do.

Message 555 of 616
latest reply