cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Ebay charge a fee on taxes

The seller no longer receives the taxes from sales. So how can a fee be charged on money that a seller does not receive. Ebay is ripping us off now. Sad. This policy needs to be reviewed. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Trust me... that 12.9% is a fair price to pay to have taxes from each sale remitted to each buyer's state. It's all good...

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Fee in tax and shipping  were  we not make no money  in shipping  and eBay charge comicion over 11%  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Final value fees

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer. If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

If you're in China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, or Vietnam and your item isn't located in the US, the total amount of the sale is always calculated based on the shipping option your buyer chooses.

An order is defined as any number of items purchased by the same buyer at checkout with the same shipping method.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Don't think of it as a fee on all the money that you're receiving. Think of it as a fee on all of the money that eBay has to process. Be glad that we don't have to deal with the nightmare sales tax ourselves.

I actually think it's pretty incredible that fees haven't gone up since 2014 when I started selling (on a different account).  They were 10% then with 2.9% going to PayPal.  Back then I thought if you would have fast forwarded a decade fees would have gone up even higher. *knock on wood*

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This has nothing to do with my concern.  I'm not interested in a copy and paste reply.  Like I said the problem is being charged a fee for money we never get.  There should be a charge on the sales price and shipping as we actually receive a payment from that portion.  If they are paying the state no information should be required from us regarding sales tax or any end of the year forms if we are getting charged fees and never receive the taxes from out sales.  When I sell something locally it's up to me to pay sales tax. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You're being charged a fee for them to collect the tax and remit it to the proper states for you the seller.. Do you really expect them to do it for free? 

This topic has been beat to death.  

ETA: You did ask "How does Ebay charge a fee on taxes" that is what I was showing you.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Ebay fees after are consistently 18.xx% which is ridiculous.  It was cheaper when it was just us receiving payments through PayPal.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Do you mind if I ask where did you learn math? 

For most categories it's .30 plus 12.9% of the total cost, not 18%.

The highest fee is 15% but there are categories where the fee is 3%, 5%, 6%, and 8%.

If you're paying 18%  eBay must be charging you a 5% penalty for having a high rate of returns.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I'm actually a math tutor **bleep**.  What I'm stating is the actual bottom-line or take home in comparison to what the seller actually pays.  Most sellers don't sell enough to be concerned about tax consequences. I've been on ebay a long time and it used to be that the seller received all more money from the total sale and worry about the tax consequences.  Now you don't get the tax proceeds and you get charged a fee for it.  Example, hopefully YOU can do the math.  I just made a sell for some used Gucci shoes, buyer paid 370.10 total, my take home 301.96 and I had to pay shipping from those proceeds.  Do the math. This is the consistent math since all the fees went into effect.  I know that they send the taxes to the state, that's what's states, but I'd rather it be like it used to be especially if someone is not making large sells on Ebay. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

When you tell us that the buyer paid over $370 you're including the sales tax that they paid.  You can't use that number to figure out out the fees you are paying. You're adding in the sales tax number to how much he paid total but then 100% of that money gets subtracted out of what you get paid so why would it be used to help you calculate the fees?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply