cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charged ridiculous exchange rates from buying with a CC?

I noticed today that items I buy internationally in foreign currency using the "Pay with a Credit Card" option are showing in my CC statements at about 5-6% over the market exchange rate, and the rate eBay shows in the purchase. The transaction is listed from "Paypal" even though it was not paid through Paypal at checkout, and does not show in my Paypal account. My statement indicates the transaction occurred in USD, not foreign currency that they are converting.

I of course expect some exchange fee, when I pay with Paypal its about 2-3%, when charged direct to the card its more like 1% (I have no foreign transaction fees).

Is anyone else getting this? The amount is simply ridiculous, especially if Paypal is processing it anyways. Is there anyway to actually get the foreign currency charged to my card? I feel like eBay is being extremely dishonest charging this amount with no indication that it will occur.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I had the same issue this morning paying $638, I was charged 17,454 ZMW instead of 16,742 ZMW. I need help understanding this 4% upward. A few minutes later, the next transaction charged to the normal exchange rate. This time I paid $22.32 and translated to 610ZMW. 

Can eBay explain this

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply