cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Paid as a Seller On eBay

I ran across a recent question, here on the eBay community forum,s from an individual asking if a prepaid debit card could be used by a seller to get paid for sold items . There were 17 replies to the question, all incorrectly stating that such a payment system was not possible. Further replies were not permitted due to the forum being closed. 

I have only been selling on eBay for less than one year, but my payments for sold items have always been funded to my Spendwell prepaid debit card.  As such, I'm a bit baffled aw to why 17 eBay members incorrectly stated that this wasn't possible???

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Was the thread closed due to its age? If so, the information posted may have been correct at the time, but the options offered by the Managed Payments program have since evolved. That's why threads are locked and eventually archived.

Feel free to post a link to the thread.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

no reason to be baffled.....

there are exceptions, such as the Green Dot Card as well as Spendwell...

SPENDWALL Bank Account is a demand deposit account established by Pathward, National Association fka MetaBank, Member FDIC. spendwell account terms, conditions and fees apply.

Green Dot debit cards are bank accounts.

are either option better than a "traditional" bank account?

who knows....all we can go on is what other sellers are experiencing, and some have problems with non-traditional banking solutions

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Your answer makes perfect sense. So only prepaid debit cards with an associated demand deposit account - such as Spendwell - can be used by eBay sellers for payouts. A standard Green Dot debit card, for instance, without an associated demand deposit account, could not be used if I am understanding correctly. Thanks much for the thorough explanation to this. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I believe it was closed due to being considered resolved. However, as I've now learned by @monica-sells's thorough answer, those answers were not entirely correct and did not resolve the inquiry accurately  The answer depends on what type of prepaid debit card is to be used for payouts, and whether that card is backed by a demand deposit bank account (such as Spendwell and Go2Band prepaid debit cards). Thanks for reaching out. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

cannot use go2bank, Varo or square

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You can have payouts sent to a debit card, if the debit card is attached to the bank account you have linked in eBay managed Payments. This option may not be available to all sellers, it is for "eligible sellers ...".

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/setting-changing-automatic-payment-method/up...

Payouts to your debit card

Alternatively, eligible sellers have the option to receive payouts to a verified Visa or Mastercard debit card for an additional fee. If you’re eligible, you’ll find a banner with instructions for setting up your debit card in Seller Hub or My eBay.

In some cases, you may need to verify your debit card details by uploading a bank statement. It usually takes 48 hours for payouts to be enabled for your debit card, but you can continue to receive payouts to your checking account during this time. Once your debit card is verified, you can select your debit card as your preferred payout method by following the steps above, or request a payout to your debit card on demand, which typically arrives within 30 minutes.

An additional fee will be deducted from your payout total at the time the funds are transferred, whether it's a scheduled payout or an on demand payout. The fee is 1.5% of the payout amount. However, there is a minimum fee of $0.25, and the fee is capped at $15. If the requested amount is less than $5, or more than your card issuer's deposit limit, the funds will be sent to your checking account instead.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have a Paypal debit card. Can I use that to get my money?  I sold some stuff on Ebay, but never got my money. They told me that they only send payments to bank accounts, and not to Paypal debit cards. They owe me $90.00.  I sold the items before they made the changes.  I don't want the money going to my bank account, or checking account. Only to my debit card.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@samgunn_1 wrote:

I have a Paypal debit card. Can I use that to get my money?  I sold some stuff on Ebay, but never got my money. They told me that they only send payments to bank accounts, and not to Paypal debit cards. They owe me $90.00.  I sold the items before they made the changes.  I don't want the money going to my bank account, or checking account. Only to my debit card.

Already answered. Sellers in the USA have to attached a bank checking account to receive payments for sales. If you have a debit card attached to that bank account, then you can receive payouts on demand. PayPal is not a bank so you can't receive payouts to a PayPal debit card.

If you sold the items before eBay changed your account to managed payments, then the payments were sent to your PayPal account. If you sold them after you were required to register for managed payments (the transition was complete for all sellers in 2021), but you didn't register, then the payouts have probably been sent to your state as unclaimed funds. You would need to reclaim them from your state.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@samgunn_1 wrote:

No, Pay Pal is not a bank.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply