cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't ship till money hits.

From this point forward I'm not shipping till money hits my bank. Ebay is making interest on million

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@nyyfanmark 

So what? 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Be sure to change your handling time in your listings. 

Good point....

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great, I encourage you.   Your listings will appear last on every search because of your high shipping time and the rest of us will sell more!

Cheers!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

LOL Ebay is not the one processing the money. They just collect the fees.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@nyyfanmark 

No, they don't earn any interest on the money.

If you're going to wait that long to ship, extend your handling time.

Myself, I like happy buyers so I don't make them wait, once they pay, I'm shipping.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I am glad I do not buy printed matter.  I try to buy from sellers who ship same day or next day only. Your visible listings do not fall into my interest categories.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Hope you're not one of those with a slow bank...

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It does take some time getting used to the new process when you are used to getting the money right away via PayPal BUT some things to consider:

- eBay is now in line with all other selling platforms. If you find one that will let you access the money quicker, sell on that platform but you won't find one. 

- eBay fees are still the lowest for almost all if not all categories (that I'm aware of not including specialized categories I'm unfamiliar with but I suspect those fees are equal to or less than any other sales platforms)

- You won't have to worry about shipping prior to getting your money because you won't be selling anything because your listings won't be seen. 

- If you are honest and transparent and state that clearly in your listings EVEN IF buyers were to see your listings they won't buy from you because they won't care about your issues with eBay. There will be plenty of other sellers who will ship within a day or so of the Buyer having paid for the item. 

It does take some getting used to but do some research and you'll see that even if you have to wait a little longer to get your money, eBay is still the best sales platform out there. There's a LOT of competition in every category but with eBay more people will see your items and ultimately you will be keeping more of your money.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@nyyfanmark 

Consider this. No one can earn interest on money they do NOT have in their account. So since when payments are Pending the money has not yet been received from the funding source, then earning interest on this money during this timeframe is simply NOT possible.

Once the money clears the Pending Status and moves to Available, it is transferred out to the seller on the next Business day for those with Daily deposits or the next Tuesday for those with Weekly deposits. So when that happens the money moves into the ACH Banking system to which MP has NO control over and the money is no longer in MP so there is no way for them to earn interest of funds they do NOT have. Once the money is transferred the banking system has control of the funds, not MP and the banking system determines how fast your money moves to your bank and your account, NOT MP.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@nyyfanmark 

On the right side of Payment's Community board are several threads by the Managed Payments team. You should take a peek at them as there is information there that you will most certainly need to understand.

When a buyer submits a payment the seller is considered PAID at that point. There funding source has been pinged and they payment will clear. The next step is for MP to clear the pending payment which takes 1-2 days. But understand there is NO RISK that this payment will not be paid to you. Once a buyer submits a payment, they cannot change it, cancel it or otherwise mess with it in any way. The same held true when we used PayPal. But it takes MP 1-2 days to get the literal money moved from the funding source to your MP account.

Once it is no longer Pending it moves to Available. That means that on the next BUSINESS day if you are on Daily deposits, your transfer will be sent to your bank. If you are on Weekly Deposits, then it will transfer on the next available Tuesday. Once MP makes the transfer into the ACH banking system, they no longer have control over that money; it is in the hands of the banking system. Normally it takes 1-4 days for it to arrive at your bank.

For me, I do Weekly deposits. It is sent every Tuesday morning and before noon on Wednesday my money is at my bank. I do bank with a major bank, for those using smaller more local banks, it can take longer.

Many sellers in MP ship right away as there is NO RISK to the money actually getting to your bank account unless you are having problems with your account that MP has likely notified you about.

Other sellers for whatever reason they have wait until the money is in there bank. While this is not necessary to do as it does not increase the security of you receiving your money, this is what some sellers decide to do. If you lean this way, I suggest that after you are more comfortable with how MP works, with experience, that you reconsider this decision.

Keep in mind the Selling Rules of Ebay do NOT change when you enter MP. What is required of sellers, the policies and rules remain the same. One of those rules is we must ship within our stated handling time. There will be no grace period or anything else just because you are in MP and you choose to wait until the money is in your bank before you ship.

To do that without changing your listings will result in Late Shipment Defects and certainly damage the health of your selling account. So if you are leaning towards shipping after the money is in your bank, then make sure you change your handling time on your listings BEFORE you start this practice. If you don't, then you will likely be in the penalty box before long and that pesky additional FVF of 5%.

So either way is fine, just make sure you look out for yourself, make the decision that is best for you and proceed forward. You will be fine.
MP isn't that difficult to adapt to for most sellers. It is difficult to adapt to for some Casual Sellers. These are usually sellers that don't have enough listings to warrant having a store of any level. This transition is very hard for most of these sellers. I really respect that.

The thing to consider is, do you make a profit or enough profit on what you sell here to remain selling on Ebay. Likely that answer is yes. And if your answer is yes, it is in your best interest and the best interest of your wallet to do your best to adapt.

It is like working with a budget. And believe me I HATE budgets, but they are a good tool. While you won't have access to your money instantly like you did in PP, you will usually have access to the money by this time next week. Learn to get over the hump. I understand and respect that this hump can be much harder for some than others. But once you have passed over this, things will smooth out and be easier to deal with.

In some threads you will find that sellers that really thought they could not live with this change has found out that they actually don't spend their money as fast and some find that they don't spend as much as they did when the money was instant.

I wish you nothing but the very best.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Ayden is the middleman lol. Ebay hosts your listing, Ayden collects the payment and gives it to you.

If you change your handling time, us sellers will get more buyers (less time is better for buyers.) If you do not want to wait for a direct deposit, then there are other places that you might be better off selling

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

My weekend sales payments were 'pending' until today. They've been 'available' now for most of the day  and it showed that the deposit would be made on the 29th. I just checked my MP page, and now it's saying the deposit will not be made until the 30th- Even though the payments are all 'available' and have been 'available' all day. Wonder why they changed the day to Wednesday as the deposit day? This means I will get access to NONE of the money from my weekend sales until Thursday of this week. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@craigsdieselrepair wrote:

My weekend sales payments were 'pending' until today. They've been 'available' now for most of the day  and it showed that the deposit would be made on the 29th. I just checked my MP page, and now it's saying the deposit will not be made until the 30th- Even though the payments are all 'available' and have been 'available' all day. Wonder why they changed the day to Wednesday as the deposit day? This means I will get access to NONE of the money from my weekend sales until Thursday of this week. 

@craigsdieselrepair 

It is part of the process MP has consistently told us about.  I realize that many if not most of us wishes the process was faster, but wishes don't change the way the program works.  MP has always said it takes

1-2 days for Pending payments to move to Available for transfer.  So payments on Sunday could take until Tuesday to Clear.  Saturday payments that does appear to be a bit long, but it would depend on the time of day the payment was received and maybe even the funding source.  For example American Express payments take a little bit of extra time just because of Amex's process.

If your money didn't move from Pending to Available until today, it should transfer to your tomorrow if you are on Daily Deposits.  It processes on the NEXT available business day, not same day.  The 30th is tomorrow, so that is right on schedule.

I know this process can be difficult for some sellers.  I respect that.  I'm just explaining the process in which MP does things, not my personal opinions or endorsements.  Simply how the system works.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply