cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Shipping Labels and Payout

Hello everyone,
I am a new seller, so forgive me for my ignorance with this inquiry (lol). I sold my first item a few days ago, and all went well, however, once I saw the breakdown of the order earnings, I became pretty confused on the deductions. 

The example sale as follows:

what buyer paid:

Item subtotal:   $25

Shipping:   $6.72

Sales Tax:   $1.50

Total:   $33.22

then following that is what I earned

Total:   $33.22

buyer sales tax:   - $1.50

Transaction fees:   -$4.80

Shipping Label:   -$6.72

Order earnings:   $20.20

That is all that it shows unless I open up "more details" which just shows me how much the shipping label is and the transaction fees. 

To me, this reads like I would be receiving $20.20, no? After delivery was confirmed, the total payout was only $16.18. 

I tried reaching out to an eBay customer service rep, and he pretty much told me that although the buyer paid shipping costs, I still needed to purchase the shipping label, which is an additional cost.

There are several things I can click on that shows me a different kind of breakdown which just confuses me further to be honest because nowhere does it include the shipping label charge that I paid for.

No numbers I try to finagle, equal to $16.18 though, so I would appreciate clarification and guidance on how I can understand this payout better. I'd also appreciate insight on ways to ship with tracking and not be required to pay for a shipping label per say. 
I guess it is hard for me to wrap my head around that either the buyer or seller pays for shipping and then additionally, it seems that the shipping label is a separate charge I pay for if using eBay labels. 
I could be totally missing how to interpret and understand the math, so I hope this makes sense enough for someone to help it make sense for me.
Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Did you promote your item? The buyer pays the shipping fee, then you pay for the label with that money. There is no 'separate fee' for buying an Ebay label, in fact, there is a discount for using Ebay labels. You would pay more at the post office. You dont receive the sale tax, Ebay removes it and sends it to the proper state of the buyer.But you pay a final value fee on the item, the shipping, and the tax.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@chelly-1021 

You can see what elements were included in your payout by clicking the "Payout ID" number on this page:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/payouts

!ebay-payout-id-page.jpg

Message 3 of 3
latest reply