cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to selling on eBay

I am new to selling on eBay although I have been a buyer for many years I recently decided to sell a couple of items and listed them I was thrilled after a day at one of my items that sold I was not so thrilled when I was informed that because I'm a new seller my funds would be held for a couple of weeks within days of purchase the item was delivered with tracking and great buyer feedback to my mind that should be all that would be required to be release the funds but eBay said it is a blanket policy to hold money from new sellers no matter what for 21 days even if item is delivered even if there is positive feedback from buyer I think it would have been much more transparent for them to have a pop-up warning new sellers in advance that their funds would be held for 21 days because the vast majority of people generally would rather hit accept when downloading an app or applying for a credit card or anything else that requires reading hundreds of pages of legalese I know whenever I make an offer on an item or bid on an item on eBay it pop up shows up right away wanting me an eBay will take my money right away when my bid or author is accepted why not do the same thing with new sellers when they post items for sale with a pop up warning them their money will be held for 21 days rather than saying it's my fault for not having read their lengthy policy material I know I'll never going to sell on eBay again and I have removed all my other items I think I will go over to Etsy that only to buy items in the future but to sell them as well since they only hold new sellers money for a couple of days goodbye eBay what a stupid way to lose a customer of so many years who spent tens of thousands of dollars on your site by pissing me off

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

New to selling on eBay

Theres really not 'hundreds of pages of legalese' to check out before you sell. But I do agree Ebay should have a pop up warning to new sellers before they list.Ebay just prefers that any refunds come from the new sellers account, not from them,since they have a thirty day MBG.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

I understand the rationale retrospectively but I  think a pop up much like the one they recently unilaterally introduced when I now make offers admonishing me they will immediately charge me if offer is accepted I am hard pressed to believe that lack of a cautionary pop-up warning new sellers of the funds hold is a benign oversight.addittionally when prompted to leave my feedback about my seller experience I am prohibited from imputing my text unless I first check the positive circle first.see picture For this and a lot of other reasons this long time buyer and very infrequent seller will be looking for another platform to spend my money on

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

This is the screenshot if the seller transaction experience feedback page

Screenshot_20240217-041931.png

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

Not quite sure why you posted that? ^^^^

But you must have missed the notice that funds are held for new sellers when you listed your first item - eBay does advise you. It comes up below in a red box with that information on it, I can't do a screen shot as I am not a new seller.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

Before selling over there, be sure to check their policies and terms.

They can hold your money longer there if they want.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

They do this to prevent scammers. If you just needed quick money maybe that is annoying you didn't know that ahead of time. However if you want to actually become a seller and build a legitimate business just understand everyone has to go through these hoops and it's for the safety of the platform.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

eBay rules and procedures for new sellers are not hidden.  And they pretty much apply to all the new kids on the block.

And, if your statement about being prohibited to input your text without first checking the positive circle is referring to FB you wanted to leave for buyers, please be advised that eBay sellers have not been allowed to leave negative FB for buyers for at least 14 years, maybe more.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

No I am not talking about leaving negative FB for buyers what I am referring to is me leaving FB to EBAY itself about my seller experience which was NOT positive the screen I posted after that comment is what I am presented with when asked by eBay what my transaction experience with the sale  as you can see I must press positive first before I can enter my non-positve experience 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

New to selling on eBay

That is weird, but not surprising.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 10
latest reply