cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First and only eBay sale

I inherited 5 sets of commemorative coins that I want to sell.  I can post photos to show they are in mint condition.  This will be my first and only sale on eBay.  These sets have recently sold on eBay for around $500 each.  I've read up on eBay's fee structure and I'm fine with it. Any advice would be appreciated, but 2 questions (1) Will I have trouble selling without any feedback? and (2) should I try to sell them all at once or would I be better off selling one at a time? 

Other forums have suggested selling smaller items to build up good feedback, but I have nothing else to sell, and I'm not interested in doing this full time, I really just want to get rid of these things. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

First and only eBay sale

It would be much safer to sell these items locally. New seller, high value, sending them over mail etc, etc. is too risky. You might not make as much in a smaller closer market but if you just want to get rid of them, anything is profit if they were inherited.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

First and only eBay sale

I never recommend selling high priced items as your first transaction , the scammers tend to come out of the woodwork on new sellers. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

First and only eBay sale

It would be much safer to sell these items locally. New seller, high value, sending them over mail etc, etc. is too risky. You might not make as much in a smaller closer market but if you just want to get rid of them, anything is profit if they were inherited.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

First and only eBay sale

Don't sell them here or anywhere online, where you have no control over their disposition and your method of payment for them. You could be walking into any number of different potential scams. Scammers will be licking their chops over you - a new seller listing high-value items.

If you truly just want to "get rid of these things" that you inherited at no cost to you, I would recommend an auction house. The other option is to list them at a consignment store or numismatic dealer who will pay you cash for them. The last thing you want to do is fall into one of the many buyer and shipping scams that would leave you high and dry by the loss of your items in addition to the loss of your payment for them. It happens a lot.

Don't sell them online! Finally, read down a couple hundred posts here and see what happens to other new sellers doing what you are intending to do, and got burned badly. Don't be another one.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

First and only eBay sale

No legit buyer will spend much on a new unproven seller.  You would need a lot of feedback selling high value coins .  As others have stated you will become the victim of scammers for sure.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

First and only eBay sale

Look for coin dealers in your area, preferably those with a B&M presence and who have been in business for years.

Memberships in numismatic societies is also a good sign.  As is BBB reporting.

Those sets are quite common and some have no more than bullion value. Check the bullion value online before offering them to any dealer and don't accept offers much  below that

But their wide availability means there is usually only a small variation in the buy =sell price.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

First and only eBay sale

Thanks to all of you for responding, much appreciated.  I decided to take your advice and I stopped at a local coin dealer today and sold everything to him.  I think he gave me a fair price for the sets, not as much as they were selling for on eBay, but as a newbie, I probably wouldn't have gotten the best price, and probably would have gotten scammed..  Thanks again!!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply