cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay violating thier own policy , im going to small claims!

I'm a new seller on ebay I have excellent reviews in my etsy shop with that said im quite upset over ebay clearly and blatantly violating thier very own policy . I listed my second item for sale on ebay , first one went great and left a 5 star review however after a few days I decided to offer  my Current item  for a BIG discount to get a "quick" sale  I stated in bold letters price only valid for 3 days if item isn't sold ill be removing it and selling it full price in my etsy shop, well when I listed this item I listed it as buy it now only, checked off the " require immediate payment", well the  item sold  so i thought...ebay allowed the buyer to purchase the "buy it now" listing WITHOUT ANY PAYMENT METHOD ON FILE , ebay states I have to wait 4 business days before I can cancel for non payment,  the agent clearly confirmed that is against thier policy for allowing a buy it now purchase to be completed with out up front payment...well I've kindly messaged the buyer no replies with the weekend falling just 2 days post purchase I am forced to keep my item off the market from all platforms until the buyer decides if they want to pay or not, which in turn is causing me to loose  revenue from all the other watchers !! WHY is this allowed to occur ? If I violate thier policy I have to deal with consequences but buyers can just cause financial issues and inconvenience to sellers because ebay only seemingly protects the buyer. Thier policies are allowing open doors for scammers and irresponsible and immoral buyers, what's the point of advertising ebay policy if you blatantly violate your own policy....your obviously asking for court and legal fees! Im filing one come Monday im tired of big corporations getting rich of little people yet running over the very same people that helped get them there by NOT ENFORCING the policies they set in place supposedly to protect us. I was told if there isnt a payment method on file for a buyer then ebay gives them 4 days DESPITE thier policy statement of buy it now listing  requires immediate payment  up front , so instead of declining the purchase they allowed it anyway and I have to wait over a week to relist the item! That's breach of terms of the ebay user agreement CLEARLY! Now I'm having to wait longer to sell my item , it's like ebay is holding my item hostage for a week....this is NOT OK no other platforms allow someone to buy something with no valid payment method on file, let alone approve the purchase and give them 4 business days to pay.. all the while holding up potential buyers from  having the opportunity to purchase it...

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Maybe before you wait 4 business days before you can cancel the order you will have been paid?

I have many orders that are not paid for.  If someone changed their mind I would rather they did not pay or ask to cancel then to process the order and then they return it.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sounds like the listing didn't have Immediate Payment Required, after all. I don't know what customer support was thinking with that reference to "payment on file;" that's not how IPR works.

The waiting period before you can cancel based on "Buyer hasn't paid" is 4 calendar days, not 4 business days. Caution: The clock usually re-starts if you send an invoice. Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you have "many orders that are not paid for", I certainly hope you are cancelling, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What policy are they violating?

If you had Immediate Payment Required selected, the item wouldn't sell unless it was paid for.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Something for sure is amiss.

Never heard of an IPR listing ending as sold unless the item gets paid for.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

If you have "many orders that are not paid for", I certainly hope you are cancelling, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason.  

Oh yea!

Cancel as not paid and then blocked.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm sorry you're having difficulties here.  Paragraph breaks and double spacing between sentences go a long way in aiding those of us with aging eyes.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

User error - you didn’t have immediate payment required.  Just wait it out - there is nothing “immoral” about a buyer taking a few days to pay.  You have no case, no damages.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Just Get use to it..This is just how ebay runs.I know it is ridiculous.No one From Ebay has Common Sense.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

That eBay rep told you what you wanted to hear. They were wrong.

eBay only requires a payment method up front for best offers. If you accept the offer it's paid. But you still do not get the money for 30 days if you are a new or infrequent seller or the item is over $1000.

You can require immediate payment required on Buy Now but that still does not force an immediate payment. It will keep the listing alive until they pay, meaning if they don't pay immediately someone else can come along and buy it. Who pays first gets it.

In small claims court what damages will you claim that eBay owes you?  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@willnee_8227 

By the way -- you are in violation of your contract with eBay by promoting your Etsy store, using your Etsy email contact information on your eBay "About" page.

You might wish to delete that before your big trial date in Small Claims Court.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply