cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lace ID?

Cleaning up and found a box of nice old lace and decided to take the plunge and list on ebay. Man, I have forgotten so much. Spent most of yesterday pouring over my books and trying to remember stuff. Anyhow, I will be putting a couple pieces here to see if anyone knows what they are. I know we used to have some lace experts but not sure who is around anymore. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think this one might be Mechlin. I did make these photos smaller I thought but let me know if they take too long to load. Geez....it has been so long since I did this! ha!P1020477.JPGP1020479 (2).JPGBackBack

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Lace ID?

It would be better to post high-resolution pictures. The board will reduce the size that displays, but if the original pics are high-res, then those who need to see the details can access them. 400x300 pixels is much too small.

From what I can see, this looks like hand-made bobbin lace, but I can't see the cordonnet clearly enough to be sure it wasn't added afterwards. I'm not the best person to identify the style of lace though, except for a few styles. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Lace ID?

Thanks!

So you are saying the photos are 300x200? That is not what I did....I am able to click and getting larger photos. I will check what I posted. Thanks for your help!

Sandy

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Lace ID?

I'm sorry, the pictures are good. I'm not sure why I wasn't able to open the original images before, but this time it worked. Yes, you can click to enlarge them, but I prefer to be able to view the original image, without the imposed size limit that the forum puts on them.

Here's a link to the original image for one of your photos, and yes, it is a good high-resolution picture. Slightly out of focus, but that tends to happen with a macro photo. Once you open this, you can click on it and it will really enlage.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/598414i4D8D213F5AC9EDEF

Looking at this, it confirms that this is hand-made bobbin lace. The cordonnet was put in while the lace was being made, rather than added with a needle afterwards (which would have been a sign that the lace was made by machine).

Hopefully someone else will be able to comment about what style of lace, and possible age. I don't know what grounds and stitches to look for to identify if it is Mechlin or another style of continuous bobbin lace.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Lace ID?

Yeah, these images are 2000x3000 on my computer so I think ebay shrunk them. lol! If anything, they are too large. Not sure why you are seeing only the small image.  Are you able to click on them and get the larger images? I am able to do that. Anyhow....I will keep plugging away. And thanks for confirming at least they are bobbin lace.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Lace ID?

WE seem to have cross posted....thanks so much. I was concerned about the photos. And thanks for the confirmation about the bobbin lac and the cordonnet. So I guess I have not forgotten everything. Yay!

I will see if someone else comes along. I would love confirmation that it is Mechlin but if I don't get anything else, I will just list and say I think it is Mechlin. 🙂

Thanks again!

Sandy

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Lace ID?

Yes, your photos are actually nice and big. When you posted them, you chose Medium, so eBay limited them to 400x300 pixels. I wanted to see them bigger than that, even just clicking to enlarge them wasn't enough to see the details. So I edited the URL to remove the size limitation, so I could see them full size.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you with the style identification.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Lace ID?

Interesting....I sort of recall choosing Medium....not something that used to be an option. When I list I will not do that. Thanks for the info. So much to relearn. 🙂

Message 8 of 8
latest reply