cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer beware

I found an ad on marketplace from a woman selling a 2003 chevy silverado 4x4. for 1000 dollars they sent me an invoice and it looks legit, but the want me to get ebay giftcards and scratch them and send the info to them this way sayin ebay would take care of this...is this legit?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

buyer beware

@pahal93 

It's a legitimate  SCAM.

Person does not have that vehicle

eBay has nothing to do with it.

When the card info is given the person drains the cards, and heads for the hills, never to be seen again.(Well not until they pull the same scam again)

Report the scam on the site where you found it.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

buyer beware

A scam that has been around for over 10 years. Now they want gift cards. Even the phone goes to the scammers not eBay.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Motors/Craigslist-Scams-and-Fraudulent-Use-of-Vehicle-Purchase...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

buyer beware

Anonymous
Not applicable

No legitmate transaction begins on another site (facebook marketplace, craigslist, offerup, etc) and ends on eBay.  If the "seller" tells you the transaction will be handled by eBay, you have 100% proof it's a scam.  There are no exceptions to this rule.   All legitimate eBay transactions both begin and end on eBay.

If the "seller" wants you to use gift cards to pay for the vehicle, you again have 100% proof it's a scam.  No legitmate seller wants to be paid in gift cards.  Think about it; would YOU want to be paid with gift cards..  Once you give them the card numbers, your money is gone forever.

The bait is always, and I mean ALWAYS, a super good deal, such as a 2003 Silverado 4x4 for only $1,000.  If it was legit, the seller could call any used car dealer within 100 miles and the dealer would come and get it that day.  No need to put it on the internet.

The scammers almost always claim to be a woman.  Poor woman doesn't know what it's worth so I'd better jump on it fast before someone else beats me to it.

There is no truck.  Only pictures the scammer lifted off the internet.  I am glad you came here first.  If you can't see it, touch it, test drive it, it is a scam.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply