cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won vehicle auction on ebay. Now he doesn't want to pay through ebay.

I recently won an auction on a vehicle on ebay.  I paid the required $250 deposit through paypal/ebay.  Now he sends me photos of the title, a bill of sale to sign, and the wire information to a checking account at Capital One Bank.  I'm not sure if this is shady or not.  I thought that the balance of the remaining amount owed would be transacted through ebay.  I had the car independently inspected so I know the car does indeed exist because I received independent photos and report on it through carchex.  Can someone provide their thoughts?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What you describe is textbook perfect standard procedure. Sounds like you and the sller are both doing things perfectly- You by having the car inspected, and the seller by sending a copy of the paperwork and all.

That's about as good as it gets for an online car purchase. (I won't say that nothing can go wrong...but this is as close to bulletproof as you can get buying a car this way).

Virtually no vehicle sales are paid through Ebay/PayPal. Wiring ensures that the seller receives the money and that once he has it, it is legit- protects him from possible fraud. The inspection and examination of the paperwork protects you as much as can be possible- and wiring the money means that if there were to be any fraud, you at least can trace the payment to a bank account, and thus the person who owns it.

Nice to hear about people doing things right for a change. Usuaully people that come here are complaining about scams they've fallen for, because they did not do things as above-board as you and your "trading partner" are doing.

Good work, and good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

What you describe is textbook perfect standard procedure. Sounds like you and the sller are both doing things perfectly- You by having the car inspected, and the seller by sending a copy of the paperwork and all.

That's about as good as it gets for an online car purchase. (I won't say that nothing can go wrong...but this is as close to bulletproof as you can get buying a car this way).

Virtually no vehicle sales are paid through Ebay/PayPal. Wiring ensures that the seller receives the money and that once he has it, it is legit- protects him from possible fraud. The inspection and examination of the paperwork protects you as much as can be possible- and wiring the money means that if there were to be any fraud, you at least can trace the payment to a bank account, and thus the person who owns it.

Nice to hear about people doing things right for a change. Usuaully people that come here are complaining about scams they've fallen for, because they did not do things as above-board as you and your "trading partner" are doing.

Good work, and good luck.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

LB Is correct. This is how a vehicle transaction is suppose to work.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

^^^ What the fellas said.

This is 100% correct.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

But if I wire money and the seller disappears, I have no recourse right?

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@fotoflame wrote:

No matter how you pay, you have no recourse, other than the legal system- and at least this way, the money is not just going off into cyberspace, but to a real bank account, which can be documented and traced to an actual person.

With not-in-person long distance transactions, you are always taking some risk...and the only way to avoid that risk is to deal locally or in-person.

Paying through PayPal/Ebay would not help you anyway, as there is no buyer protection on vehicles- except for Ebay's VPP, which is generally worthless, but does apply if you never receive the vehicle- and that protection you get, regardless of how you pay, as long as you can document that you did pay.  (Generally VPP only applies to vehicles less than 10 years old- but I think- not sure, but think, non-receipt of the vehicle applies to any age vehicle- I could be wrong though).

The way you and the seller are doing this, is as good as it gets....only way to do any better, is to meet in person and exchange payment, vehicle, and paperwork.

We DID have someone come to this board once, who had bought a Hummer on Ebay. Buyer was in Spain, I believe. Sent $25K to the seller, who I believe was in OH. Seller kept the $25K and never sent the Hummer...sold it a second time to someone else. It does happen- but if you're going to buy online, you've done everything you can to at least reduce the risk- but there's no way to eliminate it completely.

I just hope your inspector was good.

Did you run a VIN check on the car? Google the seller's name and address, and check it on Street View? Make sure the name on the title is the same as the name Ebay has for the seller?

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

The seller also has to trust you. Why should they?

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I agree with everything that's been said on here with this deal. Especially Legit's last post. There is nothing that is 100% risk free, but it all sounds like a regular above board deal so far.

If you are still uncertain, pick up the phone and call the seller before you send the wire transfer. Sometimes just speaking with the seller over the phone allays some of the fear.  Lots of time you can get a better feel for the type of person you are dealing with by having an actual conversation.

Also, different banks require different info, like addresses of the bank, phone number of a contact person, as well as the bank routing number and account #.  Calling the seller with a brief confirmation of how that is to proceed is a good idea anyway. Then maybe you'll have a little better insight into the buyer.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@fotoflame wrote:

I assume this is a long distance transaction involving a shipping company? Otherwise hand him the cash when you pick up the car. If not, perhaps the shipping company would be willing to pay the balance on pick up? Unlikely but couldn't hurt to ask. You didn't think about this BEFORE buying?

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@fotoflame wrote:

I assume this is a long distance transaction involving a shipping company? Otherwise hand him the cash when you pick up the car. If not, perhaps the shipping company would be willing to pay the balance on pick up? Unlikely but couldn't hurt to ask. You didn't think about this BEFORE buying?

I'd be more worried about the shipping company. These brokers usually barely even know the driver's names....

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Just to bring you all up to speed, I reviewed your advice as well as reviewed the Ebay VPP and determined I was covered regardless of how the transaction was made (unless something like Western Union or some other untraceable cash transaction).  If the car isn't delivered regardless of how old it is, it's protected.  Plus I had the address of the title to a car I had inspected independently and this guy's bank account.  I determined that this person wouldn't risk wire fraud for the amount of money on the sale.

So I went through with it and sent the wire transfer.  Within a few hours he sent me a photo of the receipt of a FedEx with tracking number and my address.  The tracking number checked out and it's on its way.  So I should have the title by next week.  So all and all he's legit and hasn't disappeared so I think it's good 🙂

I'm a very cautious person and never purchased a vehicle on Ebay before so thanks for all your advice and talking me off the ledge.

I hear ya about transport companies.  It seems more people you deal with are brokers who just contract the work to someone else.  I arranged transport with someone the seller recommended.  They are local to the in Florida and seems to be family owned (I talked to the couple who own it over the phone).  It seems like they make a business mostly by transporting snowbirds' vehicles up and down the east coast.  I've been very pleased with them so far.  If you're transporting on the east coast, look up Swad Auto Transport.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

This is SUCH a pleasant change from the usual "I saw a 2010 Honda Accordion on Craigslist for $2900 with free shipping, and sent the seller the money in iTunes gift cards, and the car never showed up" that we usually get around here!

Sounds great!

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

In the end, this played out exactly as it should have. Due diligence, ask the right questions, proceed.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

In the end, this played out exactly as it should have. Due diligence, ask the right questions, proceed.

A rational, functioning brain? Here in 'Murca? I refuse to believe it! OP must be one of your boys from the Great White North!

And he even asked questions BEFORE sending the money...instead of the usual "How do I get my money back?"!!!!

This has to be a first for this forum!

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

The first clue was there was no request to pay with iTunes gift cards.

I will go to my grave not comprehending how people can accept that idea.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply