cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY is eBay no longer a place to sell vintage car parts?

I have had my seller account since  1999. I sell vintage, difficult-to-find NOS, and used, auto restoration parts... Nothing is reproduction, and they are parts, one cannot find, just anywhere. (ergo, I don't deal in '55-'57 Chevy parts.)  I realize my seller niche does not enjoy the ebay bidding fire, of years past... But in the last 18 months, my sales ON EBAY have flat-lined.  However, my swap meet sales are still great, and continue to rise every year. Several years back, I learned THAT is the place to take the "good stuff"...As, it would seem, that eBay bidders/buyers have come to be *cheap*, for what ever reason. Now, I like a good deal, like anyone...But I'm also a realist.  Low-ball offers (even on non-OBO listings). A bidder may feel his car is worth multiple $1,000's...But heaven forbid, they should spend $30.00 for a rare, not-reproduced emblem for it. None of us sell on eBay, for our health.  But one cannot have crazy prices either. What has sales traffic been for you other vintage auto parts sellers? 

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

I know exactly what you're talking about, it's sad really but this generation wants everything geared to fast-paced technology. For the most part, they don't want to put any effort into it but want the car delivered ready without having to put any old-fashioned elbow grease into it. That's what I'm up against too. I inherited my father's nice car collection that he spent a life-time restoring with his own hands, and I can't buyers except for people like yourself who are probably at an age where they shouldn't be buying the ole cars anymore. I grew up at antique car shows, loved them and still do - but today's generation wants muscle cars, and if they can run up their credit and finance them - zoom - they're out the door! ....felt good to let that all out!
Message 91 of 97
latest reply

Wow. I just came back to look into another store, as I closed my previous one two years ago after almost a decade run of selling a huge collection of classic Mini parts I inherited from my father. I made some good money at the time, but the fees and ebay's support of the buyers instead of the sellers chased me away. Now that I have two 50's MGs to part out ('53 MG TD and '58 MG MGA), I came back to look into starting again. But times have changed and I don't know if this is the right place anymore--but where is?
I see fees are still ridiculously high, and the listings are packed with millions of cheap Chinese garbage instead of personal, used goods.
I just reviewed their examples of how to make money as a seller and they show a nice 87% of total selling price for the seller, but the example has free shipping they don't even factor that in. More like 70% of total price. So you need to make over 30% return on your item just to break even. And we've all been burned at one time or another on shipping--Hell, I've lost money on some low buck item just to protect my 100% feedback from some newbie idiot buyer.
Sounds like I'm talking myself out of coming back...So, with vintage car parts, where to sell if not here?
Message 92 of 97
latest reply

@trutzmania wrote:
I see fees are still ridiculously high, and the listings are packed with millions of cheap Chinese garbage instead of personal, used goods.
I just reviewed their examples of how to make money as a seller and they show a nice 87% of total selling price for the seller, but the example has free shipping they don't even factor that in. More like 70% of total price. So you need to make over 30% return on your item just to break even. 

You're not required to have free shipping. If you do you just up your price to cover the free shipping, that ain't rocket science. As for fees, you get what you pay for. List for free on craigslist or farcebook and you get scammers and low ballers offering $35 for your $100 part, and that's if you get ANY action. Auction houses or consignment shops will take a third of your sale price and you're lucky to get buyers outside the local area. If you can find a place that is viewed worldwide and you can sell for less than 13% in fees, I'd like to know.

Message 93 of 97
latest reply

Baby Boomers over priced the market and now no one wants their stuff. All the woodwork stripped by baby boomers to be painted white by melimials. They want the cash to go to an air b n b and not lug out and old car that doe snot do highway speeds. That formal furniture when they use mismatched plates and call is chic not a victorian set. Baby boomers no one wants your stuff.

Message 94 of 97
latest reply

I have a massive collection of vintage car parts I want to sell to a dealer.  any suggestions? jesse 9413587730

Message 95 of 97
latest reply

How "vintage" are they?  Like 30's-40's?   or later? And what make?  Ford, Chevy, other brands?

Message 96 of 97
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 97 of 97
latest reply