cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermostat in am '03 Grand Prix 3.8L

I now know I need to change the thermostat. Upper hose is hard and hot. Now, I have not had thermostat issues in decades, so, what I am seeing, confuses me.

I have a temp gauge. Around Bugtussle, car does not warm up because I do not go far enough. This last few days I was out on the highway, car warms up to the normal spot. Get to the city and the gauge moves from normal up to the 100°C, starts slowly creeping higher. It has never done this before. I turn off the AC, turn on the heat, bring the temp down. Drive on the highway, temp stays normal, maybe a half notch higher. Slow down in bugtussle and the gauge starts creeping up again. 

Just now, four blocks to the liquor store, 4 back, it starts showing hotter than ever for that distance. Fans are coming on. Upper hose hard and hot.

Yeah, but, if the thermostat is not opening, why am I not over heating all the time? Is there enough airflow on the highway to keep it cool enough?

I will go over to Ad-Vic Bearing Auto Parts and buy a thermostat from the guy that owned the car before me. This is a small town.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

"Wait for the car to cool down, remove rad cap, coolant looks like runny chili. "

I'm going to make a wild guess and say it's the coolant that is the issue. Think that the coolant looking like chili could be Bar's Leak Pelletized Heavy Duty Stop Leak? That stuff will make your coolant look like that.

Message 31 of 52
latest reply

That was my first impression too, JR- that, and/or ceramic engine sealer used improperly- but no matter what it is, it's a sign that there's a good chance that the vee-hickle was having cooling issues which were never properly addressed; and may indicate that the car was overheated in the past 😮 , and at the very least, that coolant being in there for who-knows-how-long sure didn't help matters any....

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

Hello woodrow Smiley Very Happy, the old chebbie is complaining about the mix of dexcool { as mentioned above } along with another form of coolant. the stuff turns to jello and plugs up near everything.

Dex will not mix with just any other coolant, alone and clean it was  good product but as years went on everyone not knowing adds some brand X coolant and the problems start, slow at firts then in time walla your heating up.

The good news is that jello will flush out but you have to do a good job, as in radiator , block and heater core. If your not useing coolant as in blown head/intake gasket, and  the fans are working and thermo opening when heated to its set point.

You sir are in need of ye ole royal flush.

How can I miss you if you wont go away ?
Message 33 of 52
latest reply

So, have reports of the death of the Elmwood-mobile been greatly exaggerated? Enquiring minds want to know.

Don't leave us hanging!

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

Don't disturb him LB, he's working and on a roll!  

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

I get worried JR. A polar bear may've dragged him off to his den and corrupted him. Yeah.....I'll bet that's what happened! I can just see 'em now, sitting there drinking scotch and smoking cigars in the polar bear's den, when he should be fixin' his car!

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

Didn't he take a wife a few years back, Mr.E I mean. Maybe she's been keepin him busy.

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

Yeah, I think Mr. E. did take a wife. Maybe her husband came looking for her, and he gave her back? 🙂

Message 38 of 52
latest reply

HEY! I'm in the room.

I forgot I left the car there. No, really, I did. 

Caught everything in time, new parts, flush and fill, new spark plugs, runs at the correct temp. 

A few hunert bucks is a whole lot better than shopping for a car. 

Message 39 of 52
latest reply

PPHHhheeeeewwwwwww!!!!! That's a relief! [Resume breathing]

You forgot you left the car.....sheesh! I was more worried about this than you! (And here that nasty old Atikovi was practically making you haul that jalopy off to the bone yard! Don't ya just hate pessimists?!) 😉

Message 40 of 52
latest reply

I didn't say that. The Grand Pris is a very find automobile. Had a few myself.

01.jpg

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

This one **bleep** near had me.

I am putting Bruce's son through university. It is a running joke between us.

His son is President of the USUSA, University of Saskatchewan Ukrainian Students Association. Fully bilingual. Just spent 6 weeks in Ukraine in a language immersion course. $3k Loonies for six weeks. Cheap like borscht!

I do not mind giving Bruce my money. He is a straight shooter with stupid low shop rates. 

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

I liked them Grand Prixs and bought a new 1989 when I was in Texas. On the 53rd day of owning it, got nailed by baseball size hail that followed a tornado. Looked like someone's ex took a ballpeen hammer to it.

Brought it home, had it fixed, and then traded it in with 7 miles to spare on the warranty.

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

I had a Grand Prix.....a Grand Prix Racing Set when I was about 7. I got it for Xmas. I opened the package, and read the box- pronouncing it phonetically "Oooo! A Gran Prix Racing Set!" My mother informed me of the correct pronunciation, and told me that only bad boys say "prix". (I think what she meant was that bad boys are prix...and if you're really bad, you're a grand one!)

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

As Bruce, not our Bruce, the repair shoppe and used car lot owner says "Maintenance is a lot cheaper than depreciation". 

Thought I would nail the throttle today. 'Bout snapped my head off. I got full value for my maintenance dollar. 

223,000 kliks, 'bout 134K 'Merican miles, up and down the highway, maybe 25K city miles. Trans is barely broken in. 

Watch the effer blow up on me tomorrow.

Message 45 of 52
latest reply