cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermostat in am '03 Grand Prix 3.8L

I now know I need to change the thermostat. Upper hose is hard and hot. Now, I have not had thermostat issues in decades, so, what I am seeing, confuses me.

I have a temp gauge. Around Bugtussle, car does not warm up because I do not go far enough. This last few days I was out on the highway, car warms up to the normal spot. Get to the city and the gauge moves from normal up to the 100°C, starts slowly creeping higher. It has never done this before. I turn off the AC, turn on the heat, bring the temp down. Drive on the highway, temp stays normal, maybe a half notch higher. Slow down in bugtussle and the gauge starts creeping up again. 

Just now, four blocks to the liquor store, 4 back, it starts showing hotter than ever for that distance. Fans are coming on. Upper hose hard and hot.

Yeah, but, if the thermostat is not opening, why am I not over heating all the time? Is there enough airflow on the highway to keep it cool enough?

I will go over to Ad-Vic Bearing Auto Parts and buy a thermostat from the guy that owned the car before me. This is a small town.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Hmmmmm.....must be the cold up there; kinda preserves the thangs. Yeah...that's the ticket!

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

As Bruce, not our Bruce, the repair shoppe and used car lot owner says "Maintenance is a lot cheaper than depreciation". 

Thought I would nail the throttle today. 'Bout snapped my head off. I got full value for my maintenance dollar. 

223,000 kliks, 'bout 134K 'Merican miles, up and down the highway, maybe 25K city miles. Trans is barely broken in. 

Watch the effer blow up on me tomorrow.

You have "shoppes" in Canukistan that not only serve ice cream but work on your wheels too? 

Message 47 of 52
latest reply

I think those shoppes also sell tyres. You buy them with that money that comes in funny colours.

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

Learn to use speel cheque.

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Learn to use speel cheque.

I've got mine on the Imperial setting, not Metric. I had to use the Metric to Imperial conversion to figue out what you were yakking about.

What's exchange rate on that C' nadian tyre money?

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

2:1

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

Let me know when it's 3:1...

Message 52 of 52
latest reply