cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service history

I recently bought a car from a small eBay dealer.  It was a classified ad and the sale did not formally go through eBay.

He said in the listing that a service history was available, but the service book he gave me was for another car.  Now I am having trouble getting answers to messages. Is there any redress through eBay?  He has other cars listed currently.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Service history

If service history was so important you should have asked for it at the time it was picked up. If the book is from another car, I'm sure he wants it back. Are you nearby to to pop in?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Service history

Different possibilities including that they saw the book, did not realize it was for a different vehicle, advertised anyway. Assume that no book exists, now what?

"sale did not formally go through eBay". Go to the venue, it went through, and ask them. This has nothing to do with eBay.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Service history

Many dealers will remove service manual booklets and so on from every car they acquire. They do this to keep the new buyer from finding out information about the previous owners and the possibility of the new buyer from conversing with the prior owner or owners.

It also keeps the new buyer from discovering any information about service; or lack of.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Service history

Sadly, that makes a lot of sense. Explains why, when I ask for previous info, I get "Don't know". Well, "Don't know" and I either walk, or cut my offer in half. 

There was a rebuilt Audi, a few years back. I asked for the before pictures, which are legally required to be taken and submitted: "Don't have them". Well, buddy, that there is a lie because they exist. 

Still for every one of us that says "Nope", there is someone salivating at the great deal. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply