cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM - Facebook Marketplace - ebay Motors

We responded to an ad on Facebook Marketplace - We were told that the cargo trailer was being processed through ebay Motors - Received the email from "ebay" and several RED FLAGS jumped up.  They wanted us to buy ebay and/or Best Buy gift cards (Uh -No! I'll pay through PayPal or not at all).  There was no listing number.  The logo was vibrant in some areas and super dull in others.  Part of the email appeared pixelated. Ect, ect, ect...

I did a Google search on the number listed and Scam alerts popped up where this number had been used with other ebay Motors "transactions".  Please look over things sent outside of the norm - there are signs it's a fake IF you look.  We are out no money and I am about to respond to her (maybe his, who knows) email and stop this transaction in its tracks

ebay1.JPGebay2.JPGebay3.JPGebay4.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Great catch. I'm so glad you didn't fall prey to this scammer! Help the next guy by reporting the ad on their website... and NO, you don't need to communicate with this foiled SCAMMER again. Continued good luck!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Did you report it on the site you found it on??

Well its a

SCAM, ScAm and of course more SCAM..

One wonders just how much money fools give away each day to these SCAMs

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Every single listing on a site other than ebay (craigslist, facebook marketplace, offerup, letgo, etc) where the "seller" tells you it will be completed on eBay is a scam, 100% of the time.  There are no exceptions to this rule.  The bait is the super low price, a great deal that makes you think you better act quick before someone else beats you to it.  As soon as you read the words "ebay" you know it's a scammer.  All legitimate ebay transaction both begin and end on eBay.  Again, there are no exceptions to this rule.   

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I'd be tempted to reply to the scammer something like this:

Wow!  You are a member of the ebay Vehicle Protection Plan (VPP)?   What a coincidence.   So am I.   I'm raking in a cool $10K a month on this scam.   How are you doing?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you so much for posting this.  I just had someone try to sell me a camper.  They sent me the same exact email you have above.  I really appreciate your post.  I was pretty sure it was a scam, but you confirmed before any damage was done.

Thanks again!!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Zombi topic

Meaning it is old:

Glad you spotted the scam: I hope you did not purchase gift cards and send photos of back scratched off.

Such is the scam and such is money is gone if you did.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I don't know personally how this happened, but there are very few vehicle scams on Facebook nowadays. I don't know how it happened but suddenly it's hard to find a vehicle scam at all. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Although I recognize that this is an old message, I just have to ask, "Why are you about to reply?" I mean, what is the point? You've figured out that it's a scam attempt and you're not falling for it. You should report it to the site where you found it and move on.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

don't forget to call 911 also

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You are joking, right -- we average out about one report daily  here and that's not counting the poor folks who evidently fall for the scam, but don't report it on the Boards.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

And your local anno hackers to take down their scam business computers/phones. 😄

Message 12 of 12
latest reply