cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting scammed out of my deposit?

I bought a 2006 Honda Odyssey last week on an auction for $6,650. I immediately paid the deposit of $1,250 via PayPal. The seller said the next day that eBay was holding up the deposit for 10 days, so I would have to wait until after that to finish the transaction. Then, a day later, he said that eBay was now holding the deposit for 30 days and that he was going to cancel the order because of that. That was three days ago and I haven’t heard anything from him since, despite several messages to him. Should I be concerned about him trying to scam me? Is there anything I need to do to make sure I get my deposit  back?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If you found this car in another site (not eBay), yes, you should be concerned since you where scammed and lost your money. Please report it to the site where you found the car listing.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@lukfinle-9 

If this was a legitimate eBay transaction, eBay may be holding that payment. I question this, though, because I’m not sure eBay holds payment for eBay motors transactions. 

Did you discover this vehicle on eBay?

What category was the listing under?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@lukfinle-9 

If the seller cancels the sale, you will be refunded. 
If you haven’t already, make one final message for the seller and ask him to cancel the transaction and refund your money. 

If eBay can’t help you get your refund, PayPal should be able to. As a last resort, you can dispute the transaction with the bank or credit card company you used to fund the payment. 
Some refunds can take up to a full billing cycle to appear back on a credit card. Banks aren’t that slow, but it wouldn’t hurt to call your bank and see if they see the pending refund? 
It is the long weekend, so maybe the refund will start to move along once banks open again tomorrow. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Did the seller say the deposit was non refundable in the listing?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your insight! I found the van on eBay, then sent the deposit via PayPal. He said that he was going to cancel the sale, but he has ghosted me and is not responding to my messages. Hopefully through these steps I can retrieve the deposit. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

In the listing it just says "deposit." There's nothing about it being non-refundable. Also, the issue is that the seller has ghosted me after I sent the deposit.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Do a chargeback with your payment source, PayPal in this case. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Well you payed through PayPal:

did you pay to eBay or some other PayPal addy??

Did you send it for family and friends??

Need more info:

As advised go through PayPal to get your refund back if you can....

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"In the listing it just says "deposit." There's nothing about it being non-refundable. Also, the issue is that the seller has ghosted me after I sent the deposit."

you should be able to get it back then, as others have suggested, go to PP. If that doesnt work and you used a cc, try for a chargeback.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 10
latest reply