cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return "cost" is 99.5% of the purchase price ? What to do ?

So I made a mistake. I bought something that I though will be good but later on (before I get the item) I realized that item would not work for me.  I contacted the seller, who's page clearly lists that items can be returned - no questions asked up to 30 days.

I clicked on the return and it gives me 2 option to ship it back. One costs with the printed label $57.91 and the other w/o printer cost me $57.91.  The total I paid for the item is $59.99 with the free shipping.

I would accept a small fee for a return, and would  pay for the return label, no question. I made the mistake and I need to send it back on my cost. Not a problem. However the item is small, fits into the smallest usps priority mail box.

Why would the seller not give me an option to return it at cost ?  Why make a false "we take anything back for 30 days" but then charging 99.5% of the purchase price as return cost ?

I hope its a mistake and not a jackA$$ seller but its been a day and half and no response from them.

I will of course not send it back. Its worth $2 for me, but an appropriate feedback will follow suit.

I do not like free shipping and I do not want to ship it back on their dime. I would gladly accept the "fee" had it been more realistic.

What else can I do besides taking a loss, giving them the finger and a bad feedback ? Can I force a return on my cost ? Item is not even taken out of the original box.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I’d guess that you bought something from China.  Those Chinese sellers get a big discount on shipping, but you won’t with a return label.  The label cost isn’t set by the seller - it is a calculated price.

it isn’t the seller’s fault - poor feedback is not warranted.  

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Just the threat of posting a negative is enough for Ebay to remove that negative.  If you can't return it, can you sell it?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If I received a negative feedback for this situation, I would consult an attorney as I have done in the past.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@wortex.international,

"... I realized that item would not work for me. I contacted the seller, who's page clearly lists that items can be returned - no questions asked up to 30 days.  I clicked on the return and it gives me 2 option to ship it back. One costs with the printed label $57.91 and the other w/o printer cost me $57.91. The total I paid for the item is $59.99 with the free shipping"  . 

Free Returns only works for not as described items, items that are damaged, missing parts, or the wrong part is sent.  Sellers do not have to pay the return shipping for Buyer's Remorse returns, which is what you want them to do.  As powell-memorabilia wrote, chinese sellers pay completely different rates than we do in the U.S. for international shipping, because their Govt. subsidizes Int. shipping and they get a special low postal rate for the domestic portion of the shipping. 

You admitted making the mistake, and if you leave a negative feedback, the seller can get it removed. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It's not cheap shipping an item back to China, no matter how small it is.

Why would you give the seller bad feedback because you don't want to pay to return it?

Have a great day
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Sorry it was your mistake not the sellers 

you will have to pay to return this item to get your refund or sell or maybe gift it to someone as a birthday or Christmas gift to a family/friend who can use it

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Hi @wortex.international 

Leaving a seller bad feedback for something they can’t control would make you look like a ‘buyer from hell’ to future sellers … but, then, you may have already achieved that status to any seller who checks the feedback a buyer has left for previous sellers.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Everybody beat me to it.... Not one responding poster here has said anything I wouldn't have. Sorry it might not been what you were looking for. Tony... I have an attorney who's also a friend, and I know I wouldn't pay his rate what it would cost for one minute on something so small... He would laugh at me anyway... Just sayin'.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Your opinion.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

If I received a negative feedback for this situation, I would consult an attorney as I have done in the past.

My attorney charges $400 an hour so such a consultation would not be worth it for someone leaving negative feedback....

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

$400... That's a deal. 👍

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

If it's the sellers fault.  They accept the return and pay shipping both ways. (they take of their mistake)
If it's your fault. Keep it.  (you take care of your mistake)
If fault cannot be decided?  They paid to get it to you. You pay to return it. (split the difference)

Message 13 of 13
latest reply