cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Logistics Scams via eBay Protection

Beware of these scams... almost sucked into it... good thing I did some research...

I was looking for a vehicle on CL and found a perfect condition 2004 Nissan Frontier for $1500 CA plates. First of all it was too good to be true but went ahead and contacted via text to a local CA number (415) 688-, seller responded back the next day with a MN area code (218) 296- regarding the vehicle... First thing I noticed were the phone numbers ( but anyone could have 2 different numbers), second was the listing on CL is gone (forgot to save it)....Same story as the others: Husband died 5 months ago, wants to get rid of it because of the memories, seller is out in Minesota training for National Guard for deployment...vehicle in military logistic container with paperwork already signed in the vehicle, delivery in 2-3 days...She mentioned she goes through ebay protection payment transaction so its insured, 7 day period before she gets paid... Went ahead started the transaction, received an email from ebay@transaction-customer-support.com, with instructions in PDF.

The PDF looks suspicious, ebay logos on the body of the PDF has a capital "B" and the phone numbers were not listed on any ebay support contacts when i looked it up....So I asked for a VIN#, at first she said she didn't think about having the VIN# that all the paperwork is in the vehicle locked up in the container ready to ship, then a few minutes later she said she found it in her paperwork, which matches the vehicle.

According to instructions I have to buy ebay gift/debit cards and call in to confirm. Good thing my wife is a banker and advised me not to, since most GC/DC are non-refundable. we tried calling the support number provided and immediately gave us an ebay protection option (suspicious).

At this point, I could tell something is not right and walked away from the deal.... that was close!

These types of people is ruining the trust of alot of honest buyers and sellers on here! 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

These people are mostly Romanian gang members. There is a group of people that are shutting them down by going directly to there source, the banks. Mostly Barclay but others. They have there members in the United States and who are transferring money to the European banks. They are opening fraudulent bank accounts and with drawing the money very fast. But the banks are notified about the fraudulent activity and people are getting there money back. 

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

More Nigerians and even Americans these days. No banks involved- they demand payment via gift cards and have the suckers....I mean victims email them pertinent numbers....

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I was visiting with my sister in TX last week and we got to talking about this kind of thing. She works in an administrative position for a well known pharmacy chain.

She said that when people come in to buy a large amount in gift cards they ask them what it's for and warn them it's a scam if it involves cars and so on. People will dismiss this advice and buy them anyway. She said that sometimes those people are back within a few hours after it finally hits home they've been had and they want the chain to reimburse their losses.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

They bought untraceable money with untraceable money, gave it away against stated advice, then want the pharmacy chain to reimburse them? Based on what premise?

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Based on the premise that they are total idiots?

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

I will be reporting this to the FBI tomorrow. A Nextdoor.com neighbor's name was used without her awareness to promote the vehicle for sale by her sister. None of it true. Look: Vehicle not in your own state, nor is seller. Stock email answers to requests. Refuse to give VIN number or answer questions directly. Then they use ebay and the military as cover. I avoided the scam....the numbers as above didnt add up.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Also used ebay logo and so on. Ebay needs to put a stop to this imo.
Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@mobius981 wrote:

I will be reporting this to the FBI tomorrow. A Nextdoor.com neighbor's name was used without her awareness to promote the vehicle for sale by her sister. None of it true. Look: Vehicle not in your own state, nor is seller. Stock email answers to requests. Refuse to give VIN number or answer questions directly. Then they use ebay and the military as cover. I avoided the scam....the numbers as above didnt add up.

Yeah, I can just see it:

FBI: "O-K Mr. Nigerian Scammer! This is THE F. B. I., Now tell us your real name and where you are, so we can come and get you. OH, and please waive extradition, otherwise your country won't let you come here to be in a trial.

Love,

Special Agent,

Heywood Jablowmie.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

"Ebay needs to put a stop to this imo. "

eBay had nothing, zero, nada, to do with this. The listing was not on eBay. The fake invoice did not come from eBay.

Give you head a shake.

This was a third party scam based on a sucker's gullibility. The warnings are everywhere.
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

I expect that your conversation with the FBI will be extremely short.

I don't care for shows such as Dr. Phil but I had to watch an episode this past weekend on a rerun. This woman had sent this Nigerian scammer (love of her life, never met, poor English, blah, blah,) 1.4 million dollars and she still hadn't come to her senses until the doc finally beat it into her head. Same thing. The sucker level has no limits and it will continue forever because the suckers are breeding like cockroaches in a slum tenement.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I got beat for $10, once.
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Did you tell her, thank you?

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Well, ahem, that is what I said. Left it on the dresser.
Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Usually she asks for payment in advance, umm, urr, that is what I heard.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply