cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Logistics Scams via eBay Protection

Beware of these scams... almost sucked into it... good thing I did some research...

I was looking for a vehicle on CL and found a perfect condition 2004 Nissan Frontier for $1500 CA plates. First of all it was too good to be true but went ahead and contacted via text to a local CA number (415) 688-, seller responded back the next day with a MN area code (218) 296- regarding the vehicle... First thing I noticed were the phone numbers ( but anyone could have 2 different numbers), second was the listing on CL is gone (forgot to save it)....Same story as the others: Husband died 5 months ago, wants to get rid of it because of the memories, seller is out in Minesota training for National Guard for deployment...vehicle in military logistic container with paperwork already signed in the vehicle, delivery in 2-3 days...She mentioned she goes through ebay protection payment transaction so its insured, 7 day period before she gets paid... Went ahead started the transaction, received an email from ebay@transaction-customer-support.com, with instructions in PDF.

The PDF looks suspicious, ebay logos on the body of the PDF has a capital "B" and the phone numbers were not listed on any ebay support contacts when i looked it up....So I asked for a VIN#, at first she said she didn't think about having the VIN# that all the paperwork is in the vehicle locked up in the container ready to ship, then a few minutes later she said she found it in her paperwork, which matches the vehicle.

According to instructions I have to buy ebay gift/debit cards and call in to confirm. Good thing my wife is a banker and advised me not to, since most GC/DC are non-refundable. we tried calling the support number provided and immediately gave us an ebay protection option (suspicious).

At this point, I could tell something is not right and walked away from the deal.... that was close!

These types of people is ruining the trust of alot of honest buyers and sellers on here! 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Military Logistics Scams via eBay Protection

Thanks that helps me a lot Ive been looking at a boat and its the same story almost wow Craigslist gone now military deployment Thanks

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

So far I've found these on a tractor & now today a pontoon boat
Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Here they tryed to get me

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

I wonder if they have one in metallic blue....

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

I just went thru this today - glad I did an ebay motors search - quickly found this page! I, too found out about this on Nextdoor app, which made me believe legit. Ridiculous.
Message 35 of 35
latest reply