cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth trying to sell a car on Ebay?

I have a classic car and have being thinking of selling it. I have a estate sales store here but I don't have a clue about vehicle sales here or if it is worth the time to try it.  I know just the estate sales brings me to the point of insanity sometimes and if anyone can give me a heads up I would appreciate it.  Thanks!! Car is a 72 Olds Cutlass Supreme built 455. 20160703_123218.jpg20160603_170442.jpg20160603_170418.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Is it worth trying to sell a car on Ebay?

Sorry, I see if I would have just scanned down the page most of the answers are already here.  😉 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Depends on whether you have a realistic price in mind. If so it would do well here. Post over 100 pictures and a detailed description. Coming from Ohio, most people will want to know the rust situation first off. Then the originality. Someone cut in a sunroof which will drop the value some.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The above poser, I mean poster, sells cars thru eBay. His listing are the best I have ever seen. Huge amount of work. ONE HUNDRED pictures. Detailed description of every nut and bolt.

Do you want to sell it, or, are you an Elias "I know what it is worth"? Long story on "Elias".

eBay would be just one venue of a multi venue plan. It is a lot of work.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

What Ati says! First thing I thought when I saw the Ohio plate, was: "Rust!".

But yeah, this can still be a decent place for classic cars; the sad thing is, it no longer pays to use the auction format, because that only results in wasted time these days, as it's almost guaranteed that the winning bidder won't pay or ever even be heard from, since Ebay lets anyone bid on big-ticket items with no strings attached nor consequences. (All one needs is an email address- don't even have to give your real name!!!)

So if you do give it a try, your best bet is to use the Buy-It-Now (fixed price) format, and make sure you check the box that says "Immediate payment required with Buy-It-Now"- which will ensure that the buyer has to at least pay the deposit (Which you specify- make it $500-$1000) before he can end the listing.

And don't bother with the "Best Offer" feature, as many people will just waste your time low-balling you. If someone wants to make a serious offer, they will contact you and do it anyway.

Price the car realistically, and it will get good interest. Price it too high, and no one will look.

Also, you might want to check out one of Atikovi's ads, to get an idea of how to photograph and present the car for best results. Such makes ALL the difference, and can literally make thousandss of dollars difference in the price ya get.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I've sold an automobile and Motorcycles on eBay in the past. Every one sold, we received more than anticipated for them. 

Would suggest many pictures and details. The more details you take down the more it pays off. Would encourage setting your own realistic price.

All the best. Have fun!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Car is originally from Texas. Sunroof was cut in as it was raced at a local track. Back in the 70's they added them so they could get the smoke out of the car after heating up the tires. Frame and body is rust free. Trunk inside looks factory new. Bring a magnet, wont find a spot in the body. low 10 in a quarter . Frame rust free and strait as an arrow. Gas tank clean and shiny. Original leather seats , stock rims with Dunlap racing tires. I know what I got, just not sure if ebay is right for selling it. Reading all the horror stories over the last few day I don't think I will try. Thanks for all your help people!!!
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@david44057 wrote:
 I know what I got, just not sure if ebay is right for selling it. Reading all the horror stories over the last few day I don't think I will try. Thanks for all your help people!!!

Yea, put it on Craigslist. Get offers of 50% off your asking price and anybody that wants to do some burnouts on a Sunday afternoon.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I'm sure horror stories everywhere you look when buying or selling a car.

If it were me, I'd try eBay. Set your price, describe it well, and see where it goes. 

Not much to lose doing that.

That's just me. All the best.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Plenty of horror stories from sellers on Ebay- especially of big-ticket items....but NOT when it comes to vehicles. Since vehicles are titled property, Ebay has essentially just kept their role to what it should be: that of an advertising venue.

Not much that can go wrong selling a VEHICLE here, as long as one takes the steps to protect themselves that they'd take anywhere else.- i.e. accept payment in cash or bank wire transfer; have the buyer arrange their own shipping; don't get involved in escrow- real or fake, etc . There's really noithing that can go wrong for the seller here that couldn't go wrong anywhere else, including a for-sale sign in the window.

There's no Ebay Buyer Protection for cars/no mandatory returns/ etc. so no one can cheat you that way, as they could if you were selling something on core Ebay....

Really, your onlky risk is what it costs you to list it, and then just see what happens.

If you can generate some attention in the car first, by maybe joining some forums where people who would be into such cars frequent, and then letting them know that you'll be listing it on Ebay, it could do really well.

All the things about the car you mentioned? Include that in the ad, with pictures to prove it. Might even pay to spring the extra bucks for a "featured ad" or some other promotion where it'll get before a lot of people's faces.

I'm not generally a proponent of Ebay these days...but for a classic car, this is still the place. Most other nastional venues, either are so flooded witrh dealer ads that no one will ever see your ad; or, are so full of overpriced "I know what it's worth" classics that have been for sale for years (cougfh....Hemmings....cough) that few people bother; and the ones who do are usually hoping to pick up something for half price from a desperate seller who's been running his ad for a year or two.

I'd give Ebay a shot. The only horror stories I've heard when it comes to vehicles here, are from BUYERS.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Based on my recent experience, I do not believe it is worth your time to attempt to sell a car on Ebay.  I found that Ebay simply did not generate any traffic.   Crickets.  Craigslist, on the other hand, did generate traffic from bona fide buyers (and, of course, scammers).  I found that CL is the used car market, and Ebay is just a waste of time and fees.  Ymmv. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply