cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is every GM V8 a 350?

Why is everyone convinced that every 305 is a 350?

Local add for an 87 Monte Carlo SS: "Looks like a 350". Looks like?

I am also interested in all the BMWs running around with a V6 in them. 

The sunroof cars advertised as "convertible".

Why do people get scammed when selelrs have no idea what they are talking about?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Is every GM V8 a 350?

Or how about the pick-up truck version of "It looks like a 350": "I think it's a 4-bolt main" (Said of a truck that has a 307 Olds...)

My favorite though, is "New radiator, thermostat and water pump". [But it's still over-heating, 'cause it's really the head gasket, so I want to unload it on you].

"Rebuilt engine" ("I think it was rebuilt about 3K miles ago"]- But it was never cleaned or painted, and still has crud on it from 1976, and blows oil and runs like bleep.

"Easy fix" ["Just not easy enough, even though I already own the car, so I want you to buy the car, and then do what I, the one who already owns it, doesn't even consider it worthwhile doing"]

"Highway miles" [Said in New York City, where the nearest true highway driving is 100 miles away]

"New breaks" [At least they're admitting they broke it!]

"I'm saling my car" [They must be making amphibious vehicles again!]

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Is every GM V8 a 350?

Can you spell Millennial?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Is every GM V8 a 350?

I forgot, they are all four bolt mains., from a Corvette, with an RV cam. 

You cannot tell a millenial anything. 

Twenty something at the liquor store drives, when it is running, a P7. Maybe he watched the Blues Brothers and wanted a "cop car"?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Is every GM V8 a 350?

Your absolitly right & every 327 with a 4 barrel  engine is a Vette Motor.!

Justmy 3.5 cents

@mr.elmwoodwrote:

Why is everyone convinced that every 305 is a 350?

Local add for an 87 Monte Carlo SS: "Looks like a 350". Looks like?

I am also interested in all the BMWs running around with a V6 in them. 

The sunroof cars advertised as "convertible".

Why do people get scammed when selelrs have no idea what they are talking about?

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Is every GM V8 a 350?

@honestdomwrote:

Your absolitly right & every 327 with a 4 barrel  engine is a Vette Motor.!

Justmy 3.5 cents

not all, some are police intercepter motors! all the ones from the daily drivers blew up decades ago, but my 50 year old never rebuilt 'special' engine is like new!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Is every GM V8 a 350?

I'll cover two issues in the response.  First, I also like to read these ads when the seller says things like, "just needs paint and interior".  Just?  That's several thousand dollars. 

Another favorite is "my mechanic says that it needs a sensor and I'm not a mechanic so I just want rid of it".   Does anyone think that a $40 sensor will turn it in to a wonderful car?

In college I did a report that showed the inefficiency in manufacturing within General Motors at that time.  I compared that four different divisions all had their own version of a 350 cubic inch engine and virtually none of the parts interchanged, not even the oil filters.  Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac all had a 350 engine.  Each was within a few horsepower of each other but there was no economy of scale going on.  That's about the time that GM started electing divisions to specialize in a certain cylinder engine.  

- Chevrolet continued to produce a V8 engine

- Oldsmobile continued to produce a single V8 engine, mainly for Cadillacs

- Oldsmobile continued, for a while, with the V8 diesel

- Pontiac ended up producing the 4-cylinder 151 engine

- Buick specialized in the 3.8L V6

In my report, I compared GM's techniques to that of Ford where every Ford product of the era used an engine produced for all divisions.  A Ford 302, 351, 400, etc was in every model, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.  Additionally, each was designed to use the same oil filter which saved Ford lots of money by not having to supply different filters and manage that mess.

Looking back, GM should have figured this out years earlier instead of trying to fool the public into thinking that a Oldsmobile Rocket was special when it was just a cast iron hunk like a Chevy motor.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply