cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can they sell a radiator so cheap?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-For-Volkswagen-Fits-Jetta-Passat-13273/272756757310?fits=Year%3A20...

Noticed the aluminum radiator in a Jetta I have is corroded where it meets the plastic tank. Not leaking visibly but do see dry coolant residue. Thought of just leaving it be but found this listing for a $52 radiator. How do they sell it so cheap? I've bought from them before and they appear to be good quality rads, but just the packaging and shipping must be half the cost.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Second one is a Cdn seller in NY. Hum. Can you say "drop shipper"? I knew ya could.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

$48

-$4 fees

-$15 shipping

-$3 box and packing

-A few bucks profit

That leaves around $20 for the actual part. How can any manufacturer make something as complex as that for $20 while also making a profit. Even with $1 an hour 3rd world labor.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Both of those are drop shippers. The "how", I have no idea as it defies cost logic like you say. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The cost of something like that is very low.  The core is likely sourced from a specialty manufacturer at defined sizes.  Then, the plastic tanks are attached.

If you check, that radiator fits a number of cars.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Can buy many of the similar radiators locally from parts stores for the same price. I wouldn't be surprised that you could find one on Amazon for the same price. If it is a "prime" item, there's free shipping.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Cheapest on Amazon or local costs double.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply