cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible experience buying a car

I recently bought a car on Ebay and wanted to share my experience. I won the bid on a car on Oct. 4th. It was a 2015 Cadillac SRX for $13,700. It had been in an accident and was rebuilt (hence the lower price). Before bidding I contacted them and asked about the condition and if it needed anything. They said no it was ready to go and in great condition! I mainly decided to buy from this Ebay seller because they claimed to be the following:

#1 Seller/Rebuilder of previously light damaged vehicles on Ebay  since 2010...NOBODY comes even close!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 highest rated feedback seller on Ebay period receiving only the highest accolades since 2010!

#1 repeat customer seller/service anywhere since 2010!

#1 original copied listings/wording/layout since 2010!  You can see most other accounts copy our exact layout.

#2 most followed Ebay dealer in the world since 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given Ebay EXCELLENCE seller status year after year! Why buy from anyone else??????

Everything started out well. I won it for a fairly low price and received a very low shipping rate of $450. They contacted me and sent me the buying info (after a couple of days of asking). I noticed in the paperwork that it had a salvage title when it should be rebuilt. I contacted them and they said they made a mistake and the car was listed early and they hadn't received the rebuilt title to the car yet and said it should be in within 7-10 days. So I waited. During this time Hurricane Michael came through my town (Panama City). It was THE worst experience of my life...my town is GONE, my home destroyed. For weeks it was a constant battle for food, ice, water, etc.. During this time waiting for the title I had to rent a car, ($45 a day), for what I thought would be 7 to 10 days. During the wait, even though they said they already did, I had asked them again to please, please have the car ready to go (serviced, completely checked out, etc.) because everything in my town was gone, there would be no place to get anything serviced or done for weeks or months. So after almost 3 LONG weeks later the title finally comes in. I wire them the money. It then takes them 9 more days til they ship the car!! I was very upset about that but at the same time not being mean or rude to them in emails. The new shipping quote is now $950 (up from the original $450)!! That made me furious as well but I desperately needed a dependable car so I paid the money. A couple of days later I FINALLY get the car. Remember I won it on Oct. 4th and it finally arrived on Nov. 1st!! So here comes with biggest frustration, they did not even check the car or service the car AT ALL. The oil life is at 17%!! That by itself is dangerous ( I posted a picture of it here). The brake fluid, washer fluid, power steering, even the gas, everything that could be empty, was empty or extremely (dangerously) low. On top of all that, the car makes funny noises, the ac makes a whining noise, tires are damaged, it was filthy inside and out, only came with one key, was missing items they claimed it had, and on and on and on. I contacted them and their excuse was, "they lost money on the car so they didn't check anything or service anything" !!!!! Car dealers ALWAYS claim they are losing money or upside down on cars so I know that is COMPLETE **bleep**. Now, I still have no car because most places around here are not open yet due to the Hurricane and who knows how much longer I have to wait til I can even use the car. All said and done (car rental fees, higher shipping cost, dealer fee, etc.) the total is now right at $16,000, and this is before getting the car checked out, serviced, fixing multiple issues, etc. The whole experience has been a nightmare and they will not and did not do anything to help me when I contacted them! And to top it off, when I emailed them to complain the day I received the car, they opened an unpaid item case with Ebay!!!! What?? I think this was to try to cancel the sale, and to remove my negative feedback I left. Little do they know I contacted Ebay and they said they will remove the unpaid item strike and my negative feedback will remain. Ebay also said they are looking into the situation because they said the seller is not suppose to have buyers wire them money like the way I did.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse from them? Anyone (besides Ebay) that I can call and report them to? I was thinking of reporting them to BBB or the State Attorney's office?

Moral of the story, please do not think that if a seller has 100% feedback that you can trust them. And never, ever buy a car sight unseen from anyone. If anyone has any advice on what to do I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get my story out there. Thank you

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I saw a court case where an auto body shop was being sued because they didn't re-install the air bags after rebuilding a damaged car. The new owner had an accident involving a front end collision and because of the lack of air bags the owner was severly injured and was suing the auto body shop who did the repairs. I would never buy a car that was in an accident with a salvage or rebuilt title.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Airbags are not a legal requirement, everywhere.

You wouldn't buy a rebu8ilt? Rebuilt can be as simple as all the windows being broken and replaced. Rebuilt can be as simple as hail damage. Rebuilt can be as simple as stolen and recovered, vandalised with seats cut and metal scratched.

I have a rebuilt truck due to soft rollover. It rolled in snow, the roof has a wrinkle, the box has a wrinkle, it needed a couple of mirrors.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I agree and understand, you already know the extent of the damage to the vehicle, and as you say, it is minor, but, if you buy a repaired car with a rebuilt title, you have no way to access the extent of the damage to the vehicle.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@vanman1029 wrote:

but, if you buy a repaired car with a rebuilt title, you have no way to access the extent of the damage to the vehicle.

Well sure you do. You have it checked out at a body shop or other repair shop before buying.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I have told this story. A few years back, a friend went to look at a car "Clean Carfax!", yet, there were gaps in the registration.

Upon further inspection, it could be seen that it had been hit on the left front corner. Paint was uneven down the left side, overspray inside the left fender, damaged mounting clips, vehicle pulled to the right under braking. Clean title.

Looking at used cars, I have requested "Put it on a hoist so I can see underneath".

If one does not know what they are doing when buying a car, they should not buy any car.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
"Looking at used cars, I have requested "Put it on a hoist so I can see underneath".

I agree. I've been told, "don't have a lift." I tell them I have one, let's go to my house and put it on the lift. Only one time the seller refused, said they didn't have time. The seller is retired and still owns the 1972 El Camino and yes it is still for sale. I bought a 1964 El Camino 4 weeks later.
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

At the end opf the day, there are so many different ways, the buyer can protect themself, avoid money pits, make better decisions, if they want to. 

#1 is go and look at it. Have someone look at it. 

Many people do not have the "Hang on a sec" pause button. Instead, they have the FOMO (fear of missing out) turbo decision making button.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply