cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake HONDA timing belt Failed killing my Odyssey. They keep selling these kits.

20200807_171154 (2).jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You sure the belt did this or maybe a failed tension (Looks collapsed ).???

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I would only buy a timing belt kit from the dealer or maybe get a Gates belt from a NAPA dealer  because otherwise you're taking a chance it will fail.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

First thing, my colleagues and I share your pain. I am very sorry this happened and to say there is no recourse, especially if it wasn't installed at an insured repair facility. I personally have decades of time in the automotive field and I will tell you that I have seen or heard of this happening with all of the biggest name brands. One of, if not the biggest name in aftermarket belts and hoses left me where you are. After months of back and forth, they wouldn't stand behind their product. This company actually admitted to having problems with the kit I used and asked before I told them if a particular portion failed. I still have all of the emails and pictures. The cost of litigation was not worth it and I worked out an agreement with the customer that they would pay for parts and no labor. I learned to never and I mean never purchase such a critical part anywhere other than the dealer or aftermarket kits made by AISIN. The parts in their box are all OEM aside from the water pump on some occasions.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The tensioner is pushing the pulley into the casting, if anything there may have been to much tension.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@ctmss4284 wrote:

The tensioner is pushing the pulley into the casting, if anything there may have been to much tension.

Possible. There are more than one reason timing belts shred and break. 

Yet the old saying of you get what you pay for is usually true in the mechanics environment.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You do realize that Honda (or any other car maker) does not manufacture their own belts don't you? Belts are made by Mitsubishi or Bando for instance who also makes them for other car makes and models and they also make them for the aftermarket. It could well be that the belt shown was manufactured by the same company who makes the OEM belts for Honda.

Some curse VW timing belts. Again, made by Gates and ContiTech who also make them for many other car makers and aftermarket suppliers.

I guess operator error is not a consideration?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I have had the tensioners fail after a short period of time with these after market kits. I can see that your tensioner is expanded. Yep, you have to watch what you buy when it comes to such a critical part such as this. Especially if it's a interference motor. One broke timing belt = ruined motor! 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Hi I am a Professional Auto Tech with 40 years in the trade . Mainly Honda 

I too was Fooled by Fake Honda TimingBelt Kits from EBay . Grapebaiwan - Seller on EBay 

Timingbelt /waterpump / tensioner and pulley . Including Honda Fake packaging and made in Japan logos. They even go as far as showing you a photoshopped picture of Honda casting marks on the water  pump

I personally installed to exact complete kits with Honda written all over . The exact packaging I get from Honda every week ( Dealer ) 

Both 2010-2011 Honda Pilots 

3.5 VCM Engine's - J35 V6 . 

Timingbelts didn’t even last 1 - Year 9-10 months tops 

ending results = Bent Valves = $6000.00 to install used engines after the dust settles 

Dealers charging closer to $10 ks 

What a Scam with no protection from the Pirates 

Thanks EBay for Nothing 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

For what it's worth, I've been working with timing belts for over 40 years starting back in the 70s with the early VW Rabbits, Dashers, and so on. I've dealt with belts on everything under the sun.

That being said, I've installed every belt setup known to man and have never had a failure. I have seen multiple belt failures due to installation errors no matter who manufactures the belt kits.

One also needs to consider that Honda does not manufacture their timing belt kits. They have them made under contract to a number of companies including Aisin, Bando, etc, etc. VW gets bashed (you shoulda used a Continental belt)  but VW belts are made my Continental. Same with Ford (has lousy suspension components, shoulda used TRW, etc). Ford OEM components are made by TRW.

One thing I have never understood. When a belt breaks on an interference fit engine why do so many assume the engine needs to be replaced? Simply remove the cylinder head and perform a  full valve job while replacing any bent valves. I've done my own cylinder head valve work and have never had a problem doing this.

The only reason to replace an  entire engine is if a piston got cracked or the cylinder wall was damaged and up to this point I have never seen that happen. I have seen pistons get nicked up but that is easily remedied by filing the sharp edges off of the pistons to prevent hot spots and detonation; which can be engine destroying.

Just my personal experiences is all I'm relating here.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

When I was running the car business, we installed either Continental, Gates or Dayco in Volvos.  Never had a failure and always replaced the tensioner and roller.

On the early Volvos, I always reused the hydraulic tensioner and roller.  On the later model, the kit comes with a new manual tensioner and roller so those got changed.  I've only ever had one water pump on the newer Volvos leak so we let the water pump continue in service.

I don't see an immediate reason for your failed belt but the belt did break, that is clear.  Again, use reputable parts and you'll probably never have an issue.  I never had an issue with the Continental, Gates or Dayco.  But, then again, I hardly ever sold a Japanese vehicle.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I had this same exact thing happen to me with a supposedly genuine Honda timing belt kit from Ebay! paid about $160 for it......

on a 2013 honda pilot......I had a certified mechanic install the timing kit and the belt broke and left me and my family stranded 200 mile from our house and this was with only 5000 miles on the new belt! 

im very very very very lucky that our engine had no damage!  Just to be on the safe side, i will never buy a timing belt or timing belt kit from ebay!  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

True, it happened to me, belt snapped after 5,000 miles on my 06 Accord.  I think it was the hydraulic tensioner that failed. The valves were bent and I opted for a rebuilt engine.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I had the same problem on my 2007 tl type s. belt snapped bent all the valves run me 1200 in parts off rockauto.com had fix it myself never again 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply