cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NEWER ALUMIN ENGINES NEED A SPECIAL ANTIFREEZE

Heres what I need help with, I have to replace the thremosat in my 91 Ford Crown Vic, it is a 5.0 V-8, so I will lose some of the antifreeze as I want to change it any way I belive the engine block and heads and all other engine parts are made from Alumin (sorry cant spell that) As opposed to a good old 390, where every thing is real metal and good old iron. Do newer cars need a speical antifreeze as opposed to the old yellow or green color antifreeze......Thanks in advnce.....Da Nut.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@carcollectornut wrote:

Do newer cars need a speical antifreeze as opposed to the old yellow or green color antifreeze.

91 is considered NEWER? Anyway, I just bought a gallon of Motorcraft Gold from my Ford dealer at about $15, for my 90 Ranger, and that's an all iron engine. Won't have to mess with it for another 100,000 miles.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I am going to monitor things more closely on the Grand Prix. Dang thing is an excellent highway car. Huge trunk for all the booty I acquire. No rust underneath. I am at that stage of struts. That is money, yeah, well, my annual maintenance costs are equal to about 2-3 new car payments, without the added derciation cost.

People pay $5000 a year, plus lose value of $5000 a year, to avoid paying $1000 in a few years. 

My car is not a rust bucket, interior is great, anything that breaks can be unbolted and replacement parts bolted on. 

Take me out back of the barn, I sound like Tony.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

The only coolant I've ever seen that was problematic was Dex-Cool. One of my sons owns a '96 Camaro that he bought in '99 and still has. In his first few years of ownership the car went through 3 water pumps and the cooling system was all the time sludging up with muck from the swamp.

After the last water pump change (in 2001) I flushed the system out good and started using regular old green coolant in it. There hasn't been a cooling system issue in the 16 years since.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

the 5.0 (302) is a cast iron block/heads-not ALUM.-green coolant is normal

Message 19 of 19
latest reply