cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when seller refuses to honor warranty? (RV Cover)

Bought an RV cover in November 2016 - the listed clearly stated it had a 2 year warranty, which was one of the reasons I purchased this cover.  This spring, noticed the top of the cover was coming apart, while removing the cover the top came apart like tissue and dust fibers similar to attic insulation - it was a mess.

Around October I had originally started contacting the seller about the warranty.  They had replied saying that it was only listed as a 60 day warranty and not two years.

Anyway, I have a copy of the actual ad when I purchased it - that was given to me by an Ebay representative, which I had forwarded to the seller that clearly showed it had a two year warranty.  They still claim that was not what was posted and refuse to still honor the warranty that ebay has a copy of.

Anyone else have this issue, was it ever resolved, what did you do, etc?

We also noticed that this seller was complained about on BBB for similar transactions and communications with other buyers.

Disturbing that sellers can get away with this stuff, especially on a popular site as eBay and nothing gets done about it and they can continue to do this to others and thus hurting the good sellers and any future business.  As a result I am losing buying confidence in eBay - I have already purchased a new cover locally.

The fact this seller is listed as a trusted eBay seller is deceiving.  

I have pictures and copies of everything as well, which can be provided, etc.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The seller didn't make the cover, the manufacturer did. Contact them, but unless the seller was an authorized seller, the manufacturer probably won't help. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

eBay has nothing to do with this as it is just a venue. No more than a local newspaper is responsible for the ads in it.

Youi bought based on the warrenty and then proceed to say the seller is suspect?

I sell here, I will not buy here.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I can't speak for RV covers but was there anything in the ad that referred to "Indoor use only"?

Some car covers are made this way. Some are for outdoor use and others for indoor use only; meaning the latter is essentially a dust cover for use in a building and is not meant to be out in the sunlight, rain, and so on.

Being outside will cause them to deteriorate very quickly by turning to dust and splitting.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You are correct; the seller didn't make the cover. But he has not given any info or suggested how to contact the manufacturer. He is claiming it doesnt have a 2 year warranty. But the original listing shows that it does. This is where the problem is. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I bought the cover based on the fact that the listing said it had a 2 year warranty. The reason I say the seller is suspect is because he is claiming that it only has a 60 day buy back warranty and will not honor the 2 year or even refer me to the manufacturer. This is deceitfull and has an adverse affect on good, honest, legitamate sellers because if consumer confidence on ebay is lost; it could affect their sales. As a result of this experience I will never buy anything again on ebay that offers a warranty. The seller might as well say it has a lifetime warranty because he has no intent of honoring it anyway. Ebay is wrong to allow sellers like "marinervdirect" to operate in this manner because it damages consumer confidence in their site. I have already accepted the fact that i'm not going to get a replacement cover; and have already bought a new one locally. The only reason I'm telling this story at all is to help other buyers from getting ripped off from this seller.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Well, you are preaching to the choir. The denizens of this board do not buy car covers, online. You are talking at a few dozen people. We believe in buying, over the counter, in a bag, with a local receipt. 

Anything that I may buy, online, I expect it will NOT meet my expectations. Chinese sellers exceed my expectations with products that are as advertised. US and CDN sellers fall below expectations. 

Pricing? I find that I can get most things cheaper, brand name, through retail merchants web sites. 

Service? Not from online. Not possible. 

Now, you are not out a lot of money, mostly it is the aggravation. 

I was looking for a particular patch cord for my car radio for a different inline antenna. Local guy did not have it. I looked on eBay. Price was twice as much. Then, I took the blinders off and searched brand name retailers. Easily found the correct part, free shipping, domestic, at half the eBay price, even below the local guy. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I would buy from this seller. According to Toolhaus, out of 25,503 feedbacks as a seller they only had 28 Negative and 35 Neutral feedbacks.

I have to say that is exceptional feedback for a eBay seller.

I asked the seller about the warranty and got this reply:

"Attached is a copy of the warranty (thank you for asking) we have been making our own line of covers for the past 5 years, Thank you."

Looks like a standard warranty for this type of item to me.
Cover Warranty.jpg

Cover Warranty 2.jpgCover Warranty.jpg

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Sure, your right. it looks like a standard warranty for such a product. Problem is; he doesn't want to honor it. And the reason his feed back is so good is because when a buyer receives it and it looks good and shipped promply; the buyer leaves good feed back. But 6 months later when the top of the cover shredds and falls apart; there is no way of leaving feed back alerting other buyers of this. Or that the seller doesnt honor his warranties. If you buy one of these covers from him; you will probably be sorry.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

thank you for your insight Elmwood

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I sell here, I will not buy here... I think that says alot !!! Thank you for your honesty.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The warranty is pretty clear to me. It states that.....

1. Full 60 day warranty which includes shipping.

2. The first year of the warranty means the buyer pays shipping and is responsible for sending pictures, etc.

3. The second year of warranty is pro-rated and given as a store credit only.

Is there a disagreement between you and the seller about various facets of that warranty and who does what or pays what?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

20 years ago, I needed a speedo cable for a particular vehicle. Parts store, across the road, had an off brand specifically for my vehicle. It was economicaly priced. It did not fit. Took it back, retrieved my money, went to a dealer. Dealer had the correct part at twice the price, saying "I too can sell you a cheap part that will not fit". Hum?

Year ago, I bought a rolling kitchen island through Wayfair. I had done my research so I sort of knew what to expect. Sure enough, it shows up with a critical part, broken. Returning, exchanging, etc? How many weeks to months would that take, so I got out my tools and fixed it. 

At the same time, I ordered an electric fireplace from Lowe's. Super fast, free, shipping, exactly as described, works perfectly, exceeding all of my expectations. They under promised and over delivered. Professional retailer selling from their warehouse. Hum?

Few weeks back, lady friend orders a bed frame through Wayfair. I knew what was going to happen. I assembled it. Some of the welds at the wheels were poor and this thing would last a week before folding over. It was economicaly priced. So, I got some 2x4 and made suitable braces for it. 

Moral? Spend the extra money to get exactly what you want. I do. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I sell here, I will not buy here.

Your feedback as a buyer says otherwise. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Very little anymore. Three from China, one from Slovenia, one from Canada, one from the US, in the last year. Do not count the free shipping supplies from eBay.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply