cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting Scammed

I am not super familiar with the way eBay works but this seems fishy to me. Can anyone tell me if I am wrong?

image_123986672 (1).JPGimage_123986672 (2).JPGimage_123986672.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Am I getting Scammed

You did not find this vehicle listed on eBay; therefore, eBay has no involvement whatsoever.

You are going to be told to buy gift cards and send the numbers to the seller, who assures you he won't cash them til he knows you want to keep it.  To that end, he will ship it to you for a trial period and will not redeem the cards til he knows you are satisfied.

This is one of the most prominent scams around.  eBay has no involvement in this.

You need to stop all correspondence with this scum bag and report it to the site where you found it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

@trestein_41 

Yes, it's a scam that we hear about many times a week.

Report the ad to the site you found it on.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

Beware scammers who advertise on other sites and tell you that the transaction will be handled through eBay.

That is not how eBay works. eBay does not rely on users finding ads on Facebook or other sites and sending contact information to a seller. Likely the seller will send a phony "invoice" that appears to be from eBay but is not, asking you to pay with gift cards to have the vehicle shipped to you for a free evaluation period.

eBay has no warehouse and does not ship vehicles. eBay does not handle such transactions or provide "vehicle protection orders". Scammers often promise those things, though. Any phone number you may receive on such an "invoice" does not connect to eBay, but to the scammer.

Anyone that asks you to purchase gift cards or to send card codes to them to complete a transaction is trying to take advantage of you. Anyone asking for a gift card is looking for a gift at your expense. Once anyone else knows the code, your money will be gone and you will have no recourse.

See here for some info about avoiding such scams (US links):

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

The only way to purchase a vehicle on eBay is to sign in to eBay, find the vehicle on eBay and complete the checkout process on eBay, so that the item appears in your Purchase History. Then you typically meet the seller to inspect the vehicle, pay the seller, and collect the keys, title and vehicle.

If you encountered an ad on another site, contact that site to have the ad removed. eBay is not involved with any ads listed on sites other than eBay itself.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

You were worried this was a scam? You seriously didn't  know this was a scam?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

Complete scam, same scam as has been used now for many years. There is no truck, you will lose your money period.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

Think about it.  If the vehicle brought back bad memories why doesn't the seller donate it and get a tax deduction?  Wouldn't that be the quickest way to get rid of it?

I do not feel sorry for people who fall for this.  It is greed at its finest.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

Anonymous
Not applicable

2003 Tacoma for $900 and you're asking if it's a scam?  Of course it is.   But it's such a good deal, even though the truck doesn't exist and the photos were lifted off the internet.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Am I getting Scammed

What everyone else has already told you; but also note that the license plate has been deliberately blacked out, just in case the scammer's story didn't match up with the information publicly available from the license plate.

Elementary, my dear Watson. . ..

Message 9 of 9
latest reply