cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track compatibility

I am new to model railroading. As a Coca Cola Collector, I decided to build a Coca Cola set for under my Christmas tree. So far I have purchased only Athearn equipment. I bought a locomotive/caboose set first that came with an oval track. This track is mounted to a gray plastic roadbed. I want to add a couple of straight pieces to each side, but when I do a search for "Athearn track" I don't come up with much. How compatible are the tracks manufacturer to manufacturer?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Track compatibility

Aawiah,

What scale are you working in?

All the best,

Charles Sloane

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Working in HO. Can't believe I didn't include that. Thanks for replying.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Aawiah,

Can you take a couple photos of a piece of the track, the top and particularly the under side if there are any markings, and post them here?  Are there any markings on the underside of the track?  Looking at Athearn's web site, they don't seem to make their own track (at lease at the moment).  Some photos may help a lot.  If you have a local hobby store they can see if anything they have in stock works with your track, if you take a piece with you.  They may recognize the track right away too.

All the best,

Charles Sloane

PS, I work in mostly N Scale and G Gauge 1:29 Scale.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Sat 12-8-18 9:05 p.m.

There are basically four kinds of HO track: 1) brass Atlas sectional track (available at hobby stores), 2) sectional track which comes with train sets (for example, AHM, Bachmann, Life-Like, Tyco), 3) track with a solid plastic roadbed, and 4) various types of 3 ft long flex track.  

I personally have always used the Atlas and other types of sectional track with open spaces between the railroad ties.  This type of track is generally designed to be attached to a substrate (for example, a plywood train board).  

Your track with the plastic base is good for setting up an  oval under the Christmas tree, but it is not as common as the sectional track with open space between the ties.

Keep in mind that boxes of sectional track can be had at model train shows for next to nothing (pennies on the dollar).  Track does not market well on ebay.  Track is generally considered chaff by most dealers.  The money is in new / used locomotives and cars.

There is something you should be aware of when it comes to Christmas trees and trains.  Trains have a nasty habit of picking up foreign material (Christmas tinsel, thread, yarn fibers, carpet fibers, cat / dog fur, dust, fuzz, etc.)  String-like materials like find their way into locomotives and cars where it gets wound around the axles.  This can retard the movement of the model trains and even cause locomotive motors to burn up.  The motors are trying to overcome the resistance of the fibers which cause binding of the axles, train wheels, etc.

From a foreign object damage perspective, the sectional track with a plastic base helps to keep debris out of locomotives and cars.  However, the plastic base-type track my be difficult to find and purchase.  Give some thought to using sectional track with open space between the ties.  However, put something down undeneath the track (plywood, accoustical ceiling tile panels, a sheet of plastic, platic film, etc.   If the substrate is relatively stiff, the track will not flex up and down when the train travels over it.  Thin plastic sheet is convenient for short duration setups during Christmas.

One final note about Christmas.  Alway unplug your transformer  / power pack before going to bed at night.  The transformers generate heat, and you do not want your house to burn down around Christmas time.

Regards,

ag01 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

What a gogent and useful response!! Thank you so much. Merry Christmas!!!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Atlas has a line of track with plastic roadbed called "True Track."   That is most likely what you have.   Bachmann also makes a line of track with plastic roadbed.  Finally, Kato makes HO track with a plastic roadbed.

None of the three are compatible with each other.   The best one is the Kato but it is quite expensive.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Look on the bottom of the track to see if there is any kind of manufacture name. If there is no name you can look at track that is listed. As the last person mentioned track mounted to a plastic bed is a specialty item and not compatible with other manufactures. There will be proprietary tabs used to hold each section together. You may be able to look through active listings to find similar track segments and thus identify who made the track you are using. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply